NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cool Videos - Python 502

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cool Videos - Python 502
    Posted: December-14-2006 at 10:45am
This got my heart pumping. What a beast of a power plant.

Python

Python502

cool speedo shot

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 12:01pm
Sounds pretty good. I was waiting for him to bury the speedos, but I guess he got to 47 quick enough.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 12:10pm
Yeah, I don't know why he backed off. Sounded like it had a lot more juice left. Clearly it's a 50+ MPH boat. That 8.1 has a lot of get up and go, seeing the speedos race up to 47. It must gobble up the premium gas. I would think there's mods that can be done to that engine.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 12:13pm
That's a dual exhaust boat, right Tim? I believe it was offered from '99 to '01. Very rare power plant in the 196

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 1:05pm
A few guys over on PN said the 196 with a Python will do 52-53. Python boats were the only direct drive CC's since '90 to have dual exhausts from the factory. I sent this guy a message- I cant find anyone willing to take a picture so I can see how the exhaust is routed.

Ken, lots of parts out there for big block Chevies- theyre the most popular motor with the offshore crowd.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 1:15pm
I never see Python, Ski Nautiques for sale. They must be extremely hard to come by. Too bad CC but that out of the 196 production. It must be an awesome barefoot boat.

Ken
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 2:08pm
I've seen maybe 3-5 Python 196s for sale in the last few years. They're out there...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 2:38pm
Probably one reason they are relatively scarce was cost new, when I ordered my 99' Air to go from the GT-40 to the Python was a $6k add, or form $36k to $42k. Kept me from getting one.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 2:42pm
That's a lot of money for the extra HP.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

That's a lot of money for the extra HP.

Yeah,but it's ALOT of extra power

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 7:06pm
It seemed like when I was searching for a "196" as everyone calls them in the 97-01 range there were several very reasonably priced Pythons. They were coming out of the woodwork. I didn't even consider them, but in retrospect I probably should have. I was dead set on the GT40. I heard several bad things about the Python from the loud noise to the vibration to the wake to the uncompromising slalom pull. If I did it all over again, I would have taken a strong look at those two or three Pythons that were for sale at the time. Seemed like the owners coudn't give them away at the time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2006 at 10:11am
The Python weighs 1,200 pounds verse 930 pounds for the 375HP, ZR6 PCM. That's a 270 pound weight difference between the two. I'm sure that causes a slight effect on the wake.

I haven't heard much feedback on the performance and reliability of the 8.1 HO engine. I know it requires premium gas and gobbles it right up. I would love to test drive a SN with the 8.1 HO and the 6.0 to feel the difference.

Ken
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2006 at 12:23pm
I would have like to see the top half of the clamshell take flight. Close it when flying across the lake.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2006 at 12:48pm
No kidding, nothing like using the engine cover as a sail. One of these days he'll show it off and the engine cover will snap off and deep six. Then he'll be on CCF looking for a replacement!

Ken
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2006 at 5:37pm
Power, Power, Power come see Go Go Gorilla Barefoot across the lake !! The Python is an awesome motor !!
Wish I had one
skiguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 4:48pm
Chirping in here guys for the first time. I own a 1999 196 Python 502. Yes they are extremely rare. Mine was one of two in New England the year I bought it. One of the biggest misconcepttions about the Python is that it sucks gas. I think if you review this LINK you will realize that just the opposite is true. As far as it being loud yes it is compared to a GT40 but the tradeoff here is it is dam sexy! Yes the torque is uncompromising but the result is an extremely clean pull. The boat at low weight (ex.Low fuel, one driver and minumal gear) will do 53-54 MPH. When the GT40 starts getting soft in the low to mid fourties the python has a distintive punch left. I did have the dilema of the extra $ for the upgrade when I bought the boat. I preseasoned ordered the bought and got somewhat of a discount. At the time I ratioanlized that this was the first year the engine was offered, the last year for the classic Hull Graphic that had been around for a long time, and also that there probably would not be alot of them around; which is really true because they were only offered for two years. All of the above rationalization has seen it's fruition and I am glad to have a PYTHON even if is only to see people's jaw drop when they ask you what you have for an engine.If you ever get to New Hampshire and it's Ski season look me up and you can give her a rip for yourself.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by skiguy skiguy wrote:

If you ever get to New Hampshire and it's Ski season look me up and you can give her a rip for yourself.

And how do you suggest one does that? There is no information in your profile.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 5:12pm

One of the biggest misconcepttions about the Python is that it sucks gas. I think if you review this LINK you will realize that just the opposite is true.

Interesting article, though I believe the recent small blocks (ProBoss, GT40, Excalibur) have all been pushing close to 400 lb-ft (not the 310-320 that was quoted).

Its too bad you didnt find this site a few weeks ago- it would have been fun to see that boat at the NE Reunion last weekend.

Hollywood has a point- how do we get in touch with you? I work only 20 min from NH.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 5:25pm
They had one at Seaworld in the fall of 2000 when I was there. It was all red. It was quick and was a lot louder than your typical SN.
skiguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

One of the biggest misconcepttions about the Python is that it sucks gas. I think if you review this LINK you will realize that just the opposite is true.

Interesting article, though I believe the recent small blocks (ProBoss, GT40, Excalibur) have all been pushing close to 400 lb-ft (not the 310-320 that was quoted).

Its too bad you didnt find this site a few weeks ago- it would have been fun to see that boat at the NE Reunion last weekend.

Hollywood has a point- how do we get in touch with you? I work only 20 min from NH.

I have updated my profile so you can Email me if you want to get in touch. Interesting point about the torque on the newer small blocks; although you will still need the 502 if you want the 510 ft./lbs. of torque. Maybe I will do the reunion next year. I attended in 1999 the first year they had one in New England. Do they still give away good swag?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 5:52pm

I have updated my profile so you can Email me if you want to get in touch. Interesting point about the torque on the newer small blocks; although you will still need the 502 if you want the 510 ft./lbs. of torque. Maybe I will do the reunion next year. I attended in 1999 the first year they had one in New England. Do they still give away good swag?

Where abouts in NH are you located? Id love to get a ride in that Python. You should be aware though- there are small blocks here that will outrun you

The reunion youre thinking of was a NECC or CC event. Keith and other members of this site have organized our own CCFan events that are getting bigger and better every year (the inaugural events were last year). You can read about this year's events in Green Lake, WI and New England in the Reunions Forum.   
skiguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 6:04pm

Where abouts in NH are you located? Id love to get a ride in that Python. You should be aware though- there are small blocks here that will outrun you

Something tells me they are not stock though

I've actully thought about juicing mine up too someday.

I run my Boat on Conway Lake.
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 8:43pm
Skiguy,
Post some shots of the boat and motor when you have a chance... We'd love to see it.

Lake Conway? You're not too far from where the reunion was held. If the reunion is in Limerick again next year you'll have an easy ride.

Tim,
Funny that we just talked to Ken about the Python vs. the GT40 this weekend and this thread comes back...

After this weekend we were pretty sure we had sold Ken on the GT40. I wonder if the revival of this thread will cause him any second thoughts?

Kyle
skiguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by 66Skylark 66Skylark wrote:

Skiguy,
Post some shots of the boat and motor when you have a chance... We'd love to see it.

Lake Conway? You're not too far from where the reunion was held. If the reunion is in Limerick again next year you'll have an easy ride.

Tim,
Funny that we just talked to Ken about the Python vs. the GT40 this weekend and this thread comes back...

After this weekend we were pretty sure we had sold Ken on the GT40. I wonder if the revival of this thread will cause him any second thoughts?

If your lulled by throaty inboard sounds the Python will purr away any secound thoughts. All kidding aside it's all about the Novelty
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 10:00pm
Here's a vid of my rig for Ken to sell him on the GT40. Certainly a wonderful powerplant. Turn up the volume: M3's GT40
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

skiguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2007 at 10:29pm
Glad to have reserected an interesting topic on HP/Motor size/ and ft/lb. blaa blaa blaa.
My question here is where does the balance lie between speed/tourque and overall skier user performance. The Python was actually brought to the forefront in the beginning as a Ski Flyers engine. The Earlier GT40's just did'nt have the tourque to rail a skier off raised conventional jumps and to maintain a consistent pull at 38+ and up MPH. For the rest of us humans who usually ski in the 32-36 mph range the GT40 and it's cousins is IMO more than adequate. The Python is basically absurd. Although it is certainly nice to have those extra balls for just shear driving fun outside of towing a skier. I would be really interested to hear other folks modfictions of the traditional 350/351 inboard motors because I really can't imagine how ludricous it would be to take a Python and work it out.

I'm sure there must be some other links on this forum to this topic and please excuse my ignorance for not having found them yet.

Thanks for the welcome here it seems like a great place.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 1:40pm

I would be really interested to hear other folks modfictions of the traditional 350/351 inboard motors because I really can't imagine how ludricous it would be to take a Python and work it out.

Joe's 408

Reidp's 302 Rocketship (most of the way down the page)

JR_VIC's Hi-Teks and upgraded heads

Alan's 351w performance rebuild

Doc's 331 stroker

My top end build and exhaust project

Lots of other guys here with fast boats, too- but these threads should get you started.
skiguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 2:01pm

I would be really interested to hear other folks modfictions of the traditional 350/351 inboard motors because I really can't imagine how ludricous it would be to take a Python and work it out.

Joe's 408

Reidp's 302 Rocketship (most of the way down the page)

JR_VIC's Hi-Teks and upgraded heads

Alan's 351w performance rebuild

Doc's 331 stroker

My top end build and exhaust project

Lots of other guys here with fast boats, too-but these threads should get you started.

Thanks for all the great Links. I've got a ways to go to understanding all of that!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 3:23pm
I wish there was a similar list for 454 rebuilds/mods!

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I wish there was a similar list for 454 rebuilds/mods!

Id be willing to bet that there are more available options for a BBC build than there are for a SBF.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic