Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 stringer/floor replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
huffy420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huffy420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 stringer/floor replacement
    Posted: November-12-2006 at 10:44am
Yet another stringer victim!! I cant believe how much information there is on this fan forum! First,let me give you a bit of info on my situation. I have a 79 nautique. owned it since 86'. With 2,600 hrs I decided time to rebuild the motor. With the engine out I decided to check out the floor and stringers. To make a long story short, I've opened a can of worms and can,t stuff them back in. I have read every forum on this sight about this and have decided to go with the nadi-core system like hasbeenskier did on his 81 Top to bottom forum. Let me say that is one beautiful job on the re-build. I really didn't want to take on this project, But your excellence and pride in your work has inspired me to try and do the same! Have you finished the project?
Do you have any more updated photos?
Where did you get the 10# foam for the stringers?
Are they one piece from front to back or are they connected somehow?
Did you have to do something special to the motor mount areas and others like pylon/seats areas? If anyone has any good info about this, please feel free to put in your 2 cents. I need as much help as I can!! Thanks
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 11:57am
as far as the pylon goes if yours is done the same as mine then there should be a pocket gla$$ in the bottom of the hull that a pin on the bottom of the pylon sits in then there is a flange on the pylon and a plate underneth that sandwichs the floor and uses four screws to clamp it. So that part is pretty easy since you don't have to mess with bottom piece just have to line up the hole above it and make sure that the deck in that area between the stringers is made from two sheats of plywood. You should be able to see what I'm talking about when you take it apart. As far as the stringers are concerned I believe they should be one piece and I have also seen where it's a good Idea to add strip of aluminum L bracket where the motor and tranny mounts are about a four foot piece on each side to strengthen that area. It wasn't done that way from the factory on yours but in later years it was added.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 7:04pm
Huff: Wait a minute! Where are you and what have you done so far? The reason I ask is, there may be a better way than the path I took.
No, I am not finished with the 81. Other things I call "Task Interference" have slowed the project some. The reconstruction is all done. I am at the point of rea$$embling the boat. I have learned alot and have had the daily council of a master boat builder. I have mentioned him before "The Wizard!" Before I go into a dissertation bring me up to speed as to what you have done exactly in the taking apart of your boat.
Let me clearify too that, the stringers in the 81 are foam that I laminated and the deck is nida-cored. Another term for laminated would be fibergla$$ sandwiched foam and nidacore sandwiched fibergla$$. Catch me up. bj
hasbeenskier
huffy420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huffy420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 11:24pm

Hey,sorry for the delay ,but sometimes work calls....
Anyhow, I hope the pictures worked out and you can see them. The last 2 pics are where I stand know. The floor is out and the Foam is out. Now I am deciding on materials and getting a plan of attack. I want to make sure I never ever have to think about opening this up again ever. I liked the idea of not using wood, but it seems like I still may need some in certian places.... Just found out from my motor builder the heads are cracked,cylinders are damaged beyond repair and the crank trashed. looks like I am also in the market for a long block.....Maybe a ble$$ing in disguise.
Anyhow, I've read alot about the Nadi-core and talked to tech support about the product, but wasnt sure about supporting trans and engine mounts. Also they say it works for stringers to, but I belive it only comes in 4x8 sheets and for the stringers I think I need like 13 ft in lenght. I am not sure I would want to join two pieces together. I could call back and ask, but not sure I want to go that route. Thats why I could use a little help!!!! just want to do it right.
Huff
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2006 at 6:23am
Good! First the most crictial thing is measurement, measurement, measurement! Specifically, the exact positions of the four points of positioning of the motor and tranny mounts are imperative. Height is absoulutely essential.
Heres the plan, when go back at her, record the height measuremants all along the stringers and cut the very tops of the inboard stringers off. Cut off just the fibergla$$ wrap. Leave as much of the sides as you can. Then dig out the wood from inside. It should come out relatively easy.
I'll get back to you with best part, A material that you can POUR into the stringer spaces.
bj
hasbeenskier
huffy420 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huffy420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2006 at 9:50am
bj, Thanks alot! looking forward to checking out this process. I have all the measurements including height! I Also was wondering if you think I can lower the floor height in the bow to the same height as the rest of the floor? There wont be as much foam as originally, but I will get a bit more storage space. Huff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic