Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring a '59/'60 Atom Deluxe

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mwaller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoring a '59/'60 Atom Deluxe
    Posted: December-20-2023 at 6:10pm
Hello Everyone!
My son (13) and I are about to embark on restoring an older Atom Deluxe - I believe it is a '59 or '60.  Long story short - a friend purchased this project boat for himself, but was so inspired by my son's enthusiasm for restoring it that he decided gift the boat to my son!  This is not something I ever expected to take on, but how could we say no to this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?!   
Wooden boat restoration is well outside the scope of projects I've tackled in the past, so I would love to hear from anyone who has first-hand experience or tips for working on similar vessels.  Does anyone know of any blogs or videos of similar restoration projects?
My son is most interested in gas engines, so we will probably begin by restoring the Graymarine Four-85.  If you know of any media resources related to restoring this engine,  I would love to know about them!
Thanks for reading!    

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 5:50pm
Best source of general info for you will be Don Danenberg's book.  It's out of print so an actual paperback copy is very expensive but there is a digital download available.  Most of this info is for Carvel planked boats and yours is plywood but there's still a lot of good general info and good reading for your son.

Hyper link won't work  but go to Amazon and look for Don Danenberg.  

The Complete Wooden Runabout Restoration Guide

I'm working on my 3rd wood Correct Craft restoration and although I've never done anything with plywood sides I still think I could offer some useful info and/or guidance.  DM me for my contact info if you want.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 7:12pm
Awesome boat style
Holy cow tons of work, you sound prepared and committed excellent
Should look at collegiate restoration thread on this forum trending now
Similar
Will be fun to watch you guys vicariously
mwaller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2023 at 4:33pm
Thanks so much for your comments!  I downloaded the book you recommended, so I will have plenty of reading to do...
My son learned on Christmas that the Atom Deluxe is *his* boat.  Now, the cat is out of the bag!
We spent most of Christmas day installing a trailer hitch on my Subaru.  This was a bigger job than anticipated, thanks to numerous plastic trim pieces that had to be removed before pulling the bumper cover.  But the job is mostly done... only the rear flooring needs to be reinstalled now that the wiring harness is in place.  
Today I purchased a trip permit from the vehicle licensing office, so we should be ready to tow the boat home in the next few days!

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2023 at 8:03pm
As Alan (81 Nautique) mentioned, his restorations have been  planked vs plywood, so some differences, but to give you an idea of what you could be in for, here is a video recap of his first project.

Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2023 at 7:20am
Originally posted by mwaller mwaller wrote:

Today I purchased a trip permit from the vehicle licensing office, so we should be ready to tow the boat home in the next few days!

Please explain the "Trip Permit" ? 
Big smile
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2023 at 10:04am
Keyword purchase, as in purchased a travel permit. It's washingtkn state dude.

BLM/ANTIFA & phd's in fem lit non binary neon dyed hair nose ring types can burn, loot, set up barricades around several city blocks and walk around slapjackin people rifling thru there pockets. Totally cool,

but you better not tow a boat home without a travel permit or the brown shirts will march over to your place;

to cut out the dead wood, to clean up the city, to put on a black shirt, to weed out the weaklings, to smash in their windows and kick in their doors,

https://youtu.be/nWOMwHqOTX4?feature=shared
mwaller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mwaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2023 at 10:50am
The trailer has expired tabs, and I will need to transport the boat on public highways to get it home.  
I doubt WA is the only state to require a permit in this situation, but I could be wrong.  

[/QUOTE]

Please explain the "Trip Permit" ? 
Big smile
[/QUOTE]
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2023 at 9:08am
That was awesome WOT
Trip permit = 1day trailer registration
mwaller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2024 at 11:37am
New Year's Eve was big day for us... We drove 1.5 hours South to retrieve the Atom Deluxe!

Here, me and my son inspect his new boat while his benefactor looks on:   

We secure her to the trailer...

... and make it home, just before dusk!

It's a tight squeeze, but she fits in our garage!

mwaller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2024 at 11:58am
On New Year's Day, my son, Andrew, wasted no time documenting and tearing into the engine.  All hoses and other external connections were numbered and removed:

Next, he removed the intake manifold and carburetor:

He began disassembling the carb, but got stuck at this point.  The part with a coil spring seems to prevent the two halves from separating. 

Does anyone know what this spring part is and how to release or remove it? 
mwaller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2024 at 12:31pm
Last night, we tackled the exhaust manifold.  We were unable to remove all the nuts that secure the manifold to the exhaust pipe, so  we elected to cut the exhaust pipe to facilitate removal of the manifold.  After that intervention, the exhaust manifold was removed without further drama.  

We noted a fair bit of ash-like debris in several of the ports... What is this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic