Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

does thermostat open?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
25XS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25XS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: does thermostat open?
    Posted: November-25-2006 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Someone should come up with a temperature controled electrical outlet that switches on once the temperature falls to a set point.

They did... www.xtremeheaters.com

5 minutes to install in a skiboat: TOPS!
Kicks on at 40degrees F and off at 45degrees F and keeps your engine safe as long as you have electricity plugged in to it.

I sell the heck out of them.

Tom
"Stock Stuff" by day... Racing Mercury outboards on the weekends.
1991 Nautique Excel "thousands" of hours...
HOT FOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOT FOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 11:19pm
I've always drained the block and manifolds and then sucked in A/F using the RWP hose. As long as the block is empty it will fill with A/F. I like this way better because I know the RWP, trans cooler etc are filled with A/F. It has gotten as cold as minus 30 degrees where my boat is stored and never had a problem. Also make sure to mix A/F and water as straight A/F will freeze.
'99 nautique super sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 11:07am
I want to say we used exactly 3 gallons as well in the '88 351.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 5:43pm
Just filled up my engine with non-toxic green AF (yes, it exists for cars in non-toxic formula). I filled it using the inlet hose for the RW pump- never started the engine, just poured it down the hose with a funnel. Dead cold, the engine took in over 3 gallons with no hesitation. Could have been more. Could there be an air pocket? Possibly. If so, it's a pretty small pocket- I was amazed at how much the engine took in.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

The T-stat is where water comes out of the engine, not "enters in the engine".

yes that's right, that's why it can and will trap air in the top of the motor unless it is open.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 10:14am
The T-stat is where water comes out of the engine, not "enters in the engine".
Tim D
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 1:36am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

The air pocket theory may be more relevant in a pressurized cooling system like a car's, not in a RW cooling system.

I don't usually jump in on engine topics, but this is one I know something about. I've probably drained and filled in excess of 10,000 engines (put myself through the first 5 years of college working in a radiator shop). I can say from experience that all engines will get an air pocket if you fill them with a closed thermostat in place. This is why you "burp" a cooling system, and then top off the coolant level.

I have my doubts that the air pocket would make much difference in terms of winterizing a boat, but then again, I don't live in a cold climate. BKH
Livin' the Dream

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 12:59am
The air pocket theory may be more relevant in a pressurized cooling system like a car's, not in a RW cooling system.
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 10:45pm
Hey guys, thanks for all the input...I think. Yes, the engine is stone cold and the block, manifolds, and j-pipe were all drained. Cold and empty system. Never started the engine, just poured antifreeze in the RWP hose into thermostat housing.

It sounds like the system is filled with antifreeze. I am still going to run the engine tomorrow (after collecting the antifreeze from the valves...liquid gold!) for fogging reasons. If I have a thermostat gasket in the basement I am going to pull the stat and fill it that way. I know it is a pain in the a$$ and probably a waste of time, but oh well. I have done it both ways and never had a problem. But if I have a gasket, that is what I will do. I was listening to the weather and next saturday is supposed to be 60 degrees. Heck, I may REWINTERIZE next weekend. Need to break out the drysuit.

Thanks for the input guys. I never thought about the air pocket thing but now aware.

Stay warm!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:56am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

YES, the block fills when empty, not just the manifolds, whether it is warmed up or not, whether the Tstat is open or closed, the damn thing FILLS UP. It does not run dry until the T-stat opens.

Well that answers my question. Like DavidF, my engine is usually warm when I pour in the antifreeze. Glad to know I could drink another beer before backfilling and not worry about filling just the manifolds.

First of all, I've really got to cut down on visiting this forum. If I didn't run IT here, I'd probably be in trouble .

A good example, TR, would be when we test drove your boat. I drained the block completely several weeks before because it got really cold a few nights. I put the plugs back in the morning of the test drive, never starting it for those 2 weeks. When your dad drained the block in the driveway, it was full.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:56am
Chris:

There is no way that pouring in cool (not ice cold) antifreeze into a warm marine engine is going to crack anything. The operating temperature of 160 degrees or so is very low and not high enough to be concerned about thermal shock when adding antifreeze slowly via the RWP hose.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:53am
My thought is that t-stat does not make such a perfect seal that air would not leak past it. Even so, if a bit of air was trapped in the heads during winterizing, then this is less of a freezing/cracking concern and more of a scale build-up concern.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:50am

YES, the block fills when empty, not just the manifolds, whether it is warmed up or not, whether the Tstat is open or closed, the damn thing FILLS UP. It does not run dry until the T-stat opens.

Well that answers my question. Like DavidF, my engine is usually warm when I pour in the antifreeze. Glad to know I could drink another beer before backfilling and not worry about filling just the manifolds.

if your getting the engine hot draining it then pouring cold fluid back into it that's real stupid and your just asking for problems and a cracked block.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:46am

wrong

the block will parcially fill up and create an air pocket in the heads and intake and then start to pump it out to the exhaust manifolds, agian water flows the path of least resistance, so once you create the air pocket in the block there is less resistance for the water to flow out to the exhaust manifolds than there is for it to continue to fill the block, so for the block to completely fill the t-stat has to open and let out the trapped air.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:42am

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:38am
You know, this forum gets very slow once everyone puts their boat away for the winter. It is kind of fun to have this the banter going on...

Keep it up! What ever method you chose to winterize the engine, just make sure it works and don't let that block crack.

Someone should come up with a temperature controled electrical outlet that switches on once the temperature falls to a set point. then, you could put an incadesant light bulb under the engine cover and when the temp falls below a certain level, the light switches on and keeps everything from freezing without having to remember to turn on the light. Just a bit of added insurance if your winterizing techniques where not perfect.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:36am
the only issue you can have is that you can create an air pocket in the block if the t-stat is closed.

If the engine is cold, you drain the block, remove the hose from the topside of the RWP it will fill the block but it also can create a air pocket as well. that's why I like to remove the t-stat and pour it in there, I've even gone as far as running the motor with the upper t-stat housing and t-stat removed to circulate it to remove and mix the green car anti-freeze, the RV/Boat stuff I don't
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:35am

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

wrong, it will feed the exhaust manifolds constantly and very little if any at all will go into the block.

Drain the block remove the t-stat housing and t-stat pour in the antifreeze and be done with it. This crap about sucking it up and doing this and that is a big waiste of time, waistes more antifreeze, takes longer and doesn't do as good a job. Your a$$uming that the block has 100% antifreeze in it when you see it come out of the exhaust at the transom and in fact it's not it's deluted antifreeze and you'll use twice as much as needed. Bullsh*t way of doing things and I can careless what all you other's think that do it that way and have for years. do it that way and leave it outside up north and you'll be buying a new block come spring time.

I agree with your winterization technique, Chris- I do the same. The question is if the block is drained and refilled when it is cold, is it full of antifreeze, or did you simply fill the manifolds instead?

For those who use toxic (regular green) antifreeze, what is the proper procedure come spring? I know that the A/F is drained before starting the motor- should the motor be filled back up with water? If not, then the motor would be running dry until it gets up to temp- a$$uming the thermostat opens to allow water into the block.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:29am

wrong, it will feed the exhaust manifolds constantly and very little if any at all will go into the block.

Drain the block remove the t-stat housing and t-stat pour in the antifreeze and be done with it. This crap about sucking it up and doing this and that is a big waiste of time, waistes more antifreeze, takes longer and doesn't do as good a job. Your a$$uming that the block has 100% antifreeze in it when you see it come out of the exhaust at the transom and in fact it's not it's deluted antifreeze and you'll use twice as much as needed. Bullsh*t way of doing things and I can careless what all you other's think that do it that way and have for years. do it that way and leave it outside up north and you'll be buying a new block come spring time.

I agree with your (and DavidF's) winterization technique, Chris- I do the same. The question is if the block is drained and refilled when it is cold, is it full of antifreeze, or did you simply fill the manifolds instead?

For those who use toxic (regular green) antifreeze, what is the proper procedure come spring? I know that the A/F is drained before starting the motor- should the motor be filled back up with water? If not, then the motor would be running dry until it gets up to temp- a$$uming the thermostat opens to allow water into the block
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:27am

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I would *think* the hot metal block will transfer enough heat to the T-stat to open it up.

well no it wouldn't, the piece that actually opens it is isolated some what and by the time it opened up the block would be over heated already then you dump cold water into then the block cracks instantly.

Which is why the block fills up on its own with the T-stat closed through that inlet hole when started cold and empty.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:27am
PCM makes no reference to the thermostat having to be open when filling the block with antifreeze. PCM simply states to elevate the RWP output hose higher than the thermostate and pour in the antifreeze. This is precisely what I do each year and never have had a problem with the block filling with antifreeze. So, I suppose it is possible that the circulation pump pumps against the the thermostate AFTER pa$$ing through the block.

However, in the process of fogging the engine and getting the fuel stabilizer to the injectors, the engine is always warm when I pour in the antifreeze. Whether the thermostate has time to close or if the cool antifreeze would abruptly close the thermostate, I have no idea.

What I do know is that the engine accepts the antifreeze and I am not loosing it out the exhaust manifolds as I leave the exhaust manifold plugs out and would surely see antifreeze pouring into the bilge if this was the case.

With all that said, I am going to agree with Chris and say that using the RWP and sucking in the antifreeze seems like a big ha$$le, waste of antifreeze, and totally off handed way of achieving an otherwise simple task. But, I do not know if such a method would be detrimental or not...depends on how well it is done.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I would *think* the hot metal block will transfer enough heat to the T-stat to open it up.

well no it wouldn't, the piece that actually opens it is isolated some what and by the time it opened up the block would be over heated already then you dump cold water into then the block cracks instantly.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:23am
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:21am

you changed the conditions no one said anything about draining the block first, if you do then you better fill it back up before you start the motor or your going to create a big air pocket in the block and have very little antifreeze/fluid if any at all.

I may have changed the conditions, but mainly just to dispell the common thought that the T-stat is the only way water gets into the engine. I think we're all on the same page with this now.

I've started boats on the water with drained engines for a long time with no issues. They fill right up!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:17am
you changed the conditions no one said anything about draining the block first, if you do then you better fill it back up before you start the motor or your going to create a big air pocket in the block and have very little antifreeze/fluid if any at all will be present in the block and it all will be pumped out the exhaust leaving the block without any coolant.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:13am

water is constantly circulating in the block if the engine is running t-stat open or closed, when the t-stat opens then the path of least resistence allows it to flow throught to the exhaust manifolds and out while the cold water into the circulation pump.

Right- the question here is, if the following conditions are present:

1. Engine is cold
2. Block is DRAINED

Does the T-stat have to open to allow water into the EMPTY, COLD engine. I say no. I believe the block will fill in this case the moment you start the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:07am
water is constantly circulating in the block if the engine is running t-stat open or closed, when the t-stat opens then the path of least resistence allows it to flow throught to the exhaust manifolds and out while the cold water goes into the circulation pump and through the block and not the exhaust manifolds that's why the extra hole is in the lower t-stat housing. when the t-stat is closed there is more resistance in that hole than there is in the top half of the t-stat housing thus the flow goes to exhaust manifolds because there is no pressure there, thus the path of least resistance. when the t-stat opens it creates more pressure in the upper half of the housing and there is lower pressure at the little hole in the lower housing caused by water leaving the block and out the exhaust now the path of least resistance is in the little hole which is now seeing a vaccum created by the circulation pump.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 11:02am
TR- I'm thinking convection would cause hot water to rise up through the T-stat, so that might make sense. Cold water naturally would go into the inlet hole that I described before, but if there is no hot water to displace (T stat closed) then it wouldn't go down the hole.

Edit- Think about this for a sec- if you drain the block completely, then put all the plugs back in and hit the lake, I'd highly doubt that the engine just runs with no water until the T-stat opens to let in R/W- The T-stat needs water to Xfer the heat to it in order to operate. I'd guess water fills the block the moment you hit the key with a completely drained, cold engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 10:59am

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 10:41am
It was proposed on the MC site that in most FWC motors, the thermostat opens to allow water OUT of the block, rather than INTO the block. This diagram was referenced:

If this is the case, then A/F would reach the block when it is poured in, regardless of whether or not the boat is up to temp (thermostat open or closed).

Fact or fiction?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic