NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lost straw down cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lost straw down cylinder
    Posted: October-29-2006 at 3:10pm
Winterizing today, went to spray fogging oil in each cylinder and on the second one the little straw on the end of the can flew off and into the cylinder I am going to Harbor Freight to get a socket big enough to turn the engine... I hope to turn it enough to raise that cylinder and the go into the hole with some forceps or needle nose.

Anyone ever had this happen?? Any good tips? (besides not using the straw next time)

Damn it!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 6:37pm
*#$! I made a little hook out of a paper clip and managed to grab a hold of it then grabbed it with needle nose. BUT, It broke and I only got a 1" piece   I'm thinking it could be melted to the inside... I don't know, I'm done for tonight...

My wife suggested using the shop-vac to suck it out.... hmmmmmm. Maybe I could fit it with a rubber hose small enough to fit through the hole
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 6:38pm
Have you tried a shop vac on the spark plug hole?
Tim D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 6:54pm
Tim - Your thinking like my wife!
I am going to go try it....
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2006 at 7:51pm
OK, The shop-vac idea was good, I got another piece. I still think I am missing about 3/4" of it. I am comparing it to another straw from some penetrating oil. The fogging oil I got is "CRC Engine Stor Fogging Fluid" if someone else has this stuff please let me know how long the straw is. Here is a pic:

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2006 at 4:21pm
I don't know exactly what its called, but I have a little grabber tool that has 3 hooked ends that open as you extend it and close as you pull back the plunger. I believe it would fit into a spark plug hole, and I bet they sell them at auto parts stores.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure the little remaining piece would do much harm (engine experts please chime in here). A small plastic piece would hopefully blow out the exhaust valve and if not would melt and burn up as the engine warmed.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2006 at 6:41pm
By the looks of the picture of the fogging oil can at skidim.com, it looks like I got it all. After examining the pic on the website I was able to match what I had pulled out to my can and compare it with the picture. I guess we won't know for sure till next spring...
The shop-vac worked great pulling it to the hole. Don't know why I didn't think of it in the first place. Good call Tim and Paula(Wife...) In the future I will be real careful not to do this!!

63 - I was worried a piece of the straw would get stuck in one of the valves causing it not to seat properly... I am pretty confident now that I got it all... Thanks
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 6:00am
Yo! 63.I like to call those

"Magic Fingers"

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 7:10am
I couldn't think of what to call them. I have a set that my dad used to have, maybe once every couple of years something comes up that they are perfect for. I'll try to find a picture and post it.

I also love those telescoping magnets but my kids love them more and tend to break them over time. Not much use around an engine but if you drop a nut into the bilge they are great for retrieving.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 7:35am
i bet you'll be a little more careful next time Randy, we all have done that one time or another but for some strange reason it never happens a second time   eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 10:19am
I did this once...

Called my friend who is a mechanic...

He said just run it. Not enough plastic in the straw to hurt anything!

Tim
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 5:37pm
PLBC lost the bottom hose of the trans pump in the trans Sunday. Took about 30 minutes but we got it out. Ooops! Going to put a hose clamp on it so this won't happen again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 7:35am
Randy, a salesman stopped in yesterday and I thought about you... it was a little silicone rubber band with a piece hanging off of it with a little hole in it, what you do with this is wrap it around the can and you take the red nozzle and put it in tha hole. it does 2 things: keeps you from losing it and keeps you from you know what. maybe I'll snap a shot of it and post it, its an invention like zip ties. if it catches on the inventor will be sitting in the Bahamas 5 years from now
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 5:23pm
Eric- Not sure what you are talking about... Maybe a pic would help. is it something to put on the can to keep the straw from falling off? if so, this should come on all cans of this fogging oil... I was really freaked out when this happened, started thinking I would have to tear the top of the engine apart...

I emailed skidim.com and asked them to measure the straw. Vince replied back, said it was 4". The pieces I recovered added up to 5". So i'm pretty confident I got all of it... I havn't finished fogging all the cylinders, been sick with the flu all week Hoping to finish this weekend...

one more thing...   when I winterized I was unable to remove the drain plugs from the manifolds. The previous owner told me he could not get them off after he overheated it that one time. I ordered some of that Kroil from Kano Labs after reading about it here (My Dad used to use this stuff too and had given me some a long time ago, don't know what happened to it) also got a breaker bar. When I get this I was going to try and lossen the plugs up. when I winterized I warmed it up to 160, drained the block, and then sucked the pink antifreeze (4 gal.) out of a bucket. I am not too worried about it freezing since the PO only drained the block last two years... plus the boat is in my garage which is attached to my house and doesn't get all that cold. My question: If I do manage to get the manifold plugs loose should I drain them, and if I do can I still pour antifreeze in the mannifolds without starting all over??

Or am I just worrying too much again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 7:40pm
usually if you heat a pipe plug as hot as you can with a set of torches or even mapp gas then let it cool alot of times they come right out. if you do get the plugs out and nothing comes out poke a screwdriver up in there to remove the sediment. I did this today with 2 boats. I didnt want to freeze the touche and get the boat to temp. so I winterized them inside. removed 2 block plugs and 2 manifold plugs, poked them, then all the water came out. pulled the hoses near the thermo. housing and filled liberally with antifreeze, then pulled the plugs and squirted in some fogging oil.
I did snap some pics today now alli have to do is figure out how to get them on here
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 7:49pm
if you do get the plugs out remove the hoses that lead to the manifold and put the antifreeze down them and if you can explain how to get these pictures on here. eric
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:55pm
Randy, not to make fun of you, but I sure got a kick out of your original story! How many times have we all done something that seems just like a bizarre thing? Perhaps that would be a winter "off topic" thread: things you've dropped in your engine...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 10:04pm
Hey Randy, next time super glue the straw on, that's what I do with PB blaster etc. I get tired of barely touching something and it pops off.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 10:27am
First thing yesterday morning... find the fogging oil 2nd thing f-in tip missing, makes you wonder where all these tips wind up, somewhere along with all the rubber on your tires
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 10:50am
Great idea Tim! I am going to do this.

Eric- check out my post on how to post pics in the "off topic" section.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 11:05am
Dude- Go ahead, poke fun at me, I can take it!

Seriously, my heart just sank when I watched that straw just pop off and go right down the hole... lesson learned. I think Tim has a great idea.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 11:19am
randy, got it, posted that picture of the wd40 can, at first when i saw that thing i was thinking the wife will be happy and here the salesman told me no... you wrap it around the can. by the way the picture is on the post with the photobucket post you wrote, maybe you could transfer it over here   eric
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 12:27pm
I don't understand why you guys are d*cking around with the straw to start with it's not needed it spary's a nice straight stream without it. Besides if you get a little on the heads big deal now it won't rust in that area. If you where trying to get into a really small hole like some on a carb then yes the straw comes in handy, put for fogging cyclinders and the carb/intake it's not needed no worring about it blowing off either.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 1:04pm
79 we all have different forms of foreplay,that straw really is a pia and i never have one around anyways to use it
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 3:30pm
Eric- I really think the picture of that cool little device belongs in this thread. You and Keith are the only ones who can alter your posts. I can get the pic from that post and post it here and then you can go back and delete the post in "off topic". That is a great little invention. too bad they don't come on every can with a straw!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 3:37pm
Here is what Eric is talking about. Neat invention!

Eric- now you have to go back to the other post and hit the "delete" button at the bottom of your post. Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic