NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

where and who do you work for

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 9:32am
It's like the phone game sometimes with these threads, right 81?

Yes, Larry, I'm down with meeting up with you some weekend soon and having some drinks and apps at Ducks. I have a vacation coming up soon.

Ken
Duck Soup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck Soup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 10:44pm
81 -   Yes on the vinegar, malt vinegar is what we put on the tables but most people put it on the English Style (Beer batter) Fish & Chips. Looking forward to the visits. I have a few dozen shipwreck photos on the walls given to me by my local Shipwreck author/expert, looks like I'll have to start a Correct Craft section.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:38pm
YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK!!?? I think I'm finally tired of standing outside peaking in thru the window and watching my old CCF buddies having all this fun at this ever-growing party without me. No excuses from me, just apologies, as over the weekend I was trying to find an old subject I'd contributed to by searching "reidp". Consequently, I came across several heartwarming sentiments, not ever realizing I might actually get missed (from a boating website?). I had just gone too long and it became too hard to jump back in. Thanks jbear for that needed push.

On to the topic: for a living, I dream about working on Correct Crafts. No, that's what I actually spend most of my time doing, but the bills are paid by the wireless telecom industry, as we're in the business of constructing and maintaining cell tower facilities. Not too exciting, trust me, but BellSouth led me there 15 yrs ago after a fledgling, once-romantic, but with no future early career in architecture, and I've come to enjoy it.   Our industry is predominantly non-union (I won't touch that subject, esp being in N.Car.) And living in the very heart of Nascar racing, I probably should be posting heavy on that Redneck thread also. Our local police cars have checkered flags painted down the sides.......seriously.

Vehicles? My pride and joy, drum roll please, is a 1998 Explorer 5.0, (it's an Eddie Bauer pkg, so ease up) with count'em, 307,000 miles, all put on by me. Plus it's clad in it's original and rare Autumn ORANGE paint. AND IT STILL LOOKS AND RUNS GREAT! I'm such a tight a$$. The very boat-tolerant Mrs. drives an '03 4.6-32V Aviator. That was my idea, too. Notice I emphasize the engine specs (see redneck ref. above). I guess I should get a new truck, but it'd only deplete funds otherwise allocated for more boats.

I still LOVE this site, and everyone involved is only making it better. Sort of special. Glad to be Back.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:52pm
Reid, really glad you're back. Keep putting miles on that Ford. Keep posting here!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:58pm
A big welcome back to one of our most informative members....ReidP. Glad to have ya back on my friend!

john

ps: post some pics of any new members of your stable.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 12:08am
hey j. hope you're well...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 12:15am
That's the spirit Reid. Any new boats in that stable? BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 7:31am
ReidP, glad to have you back! We'd all love to hear an update on your projects.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 8:06am
Reid,
I'll jump in here too. Really good to hear from you. Reid helped me find our old Correct Craft.    (I really wanted to buy one of his) but he likes 'em too much. But his conversation and guidance was a big, big help. I agree with the others, would love to hear what's going on with your boats these days.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 11:33pm
Boat status? I don't know where all the boats seem to come from, but while I did take a brief hiatus from the 'Fan, I haven't let up on the boats. The "Help.....I Need a 12 Step Program" thread some time back seemed written for me as well.

But with me it's a 40+ year love affair with cla$$ic boats. I got my first CC, a 1958 wood StarFlite back in 1980 while still in college, but moving to SE FLA immediately after pushed me in the direction of salt water boats and boating for 13 yrs. My roommate and I tore up the intracoastal from Lauderdale to Boca Raton (but at a slow speed) in a '65 Chris 24' SeaSkiff inappropriately named and spelled NOFATCHIX. We then graduated to a much newer '66 'gla$$ Chris 27' Commander, and appropriately named BOCA NUTS. I can obtain testimonials if need be, to the number of girls this boat hosted on Boca Lake. But coming back home to NC and Lake Norman in '95 got me back to my boating roots.

I'd like to honestly state in my defense however, that while we've since accumulated a handful of boats, we probably have no more invested than many members have in a hot new Super Air. It's the "number" of boats that hints of excessive behavior. So here's what's hanging out at our place right now and the status of same:

'73 Mustang seen below with signature, a 9+.
'69 Mustang-light blue, shown in diaries, our
engine and hull-mod test bed. Well used,    maybe a 7. A rocket that's continuously calling out 79Nautique's name.
'72 Skier- shown in diaries. A good 8-9
'70 Mustang - Green, 273 Chrysler, not posted yet but super boat, 3rd place Orlando- '05. 7-8, but moving up.
'63 Cla$$ic - Ebay boat with 390 Interceptor, some gelcoat cracks but timeless beauty, just ask Stang, Paul, and others with one. Beautiful new interior, but needs an engine rebuild. Not yet posted. Take to the grave.
'71 Nautique- yellow tournament in diaries, partnered off with a friend who's doing original resto.
'67 Nautique- in diaries, red and white, sold it but it came back half way thru resto, big job needing stringers and paint. Very sad right now.
'67 Nautique- Orange, in diaries, ditto above condition-wise.
'68 Nautique- Light blue, in diaries, but still without its new engine. Otherwise a solid 8.
'66 American Skier- Another Ebay special, not in diaries yet, but aqua and white like somebody elses. Hull and deck were repainted and look super from 10+ away. New vinyl in place, just needs 289 installed. Really neat boat. 8
'78- SkiTique project from Paul Carpenter/Nautique Fanatic, 80% complete, now has '70 vintage 250 HP/351.
'77- SkiTique, another project from Paul Carpenter, 1% complete, needs a home. Compounded hull looks great though.
'65- Nautique project boat in need of total resto., front bench dual cockpit SN, 289 Interceptor, Never foamed, perfect stringers. A keeper.

Non-CC inboards (but no direct competition, as there is no such thing):
'61 Lyman 21', wood, 109 GrayMarine flat head, undergoing resto, but can't find the time to complete last 20%.
'88 Shamrock 17' center console, GM 4-banger, bullet-proof full-keel boat runs in 12" of water.

Several asked and that's it. Nautique Frk, aka Mike Thrower, needs to confess his sins next, as he's been know to "harbor a fugitive" or two, as we tend to descibe boats that our wives no nothing about.

Didn't someone once start a thread where we described our early boating beginnings?     

ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 11:55pm
And the winner is: ReidP!

Wow you must have a great wife. Can't wait to meet her.

How do you ever find the time to work on them all?

Can I apply for the job of taking care of the waxing and "water-testing" them for you? No way you do get 'em all in the water.

You gotta post a group shot.

Lake Norman, huh? I have some old Ohio ski club friends there, the Leach's. Big Bill sells real estate and Bill jr was once quite the skier and general wild man.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 7:22am
And I thought I had a problem!!!! Hell I think I need to look for another one. Reidp, where do you keep them all? Sounds like you must have one heck of a storage building.
Greg

86 BFN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 8:01am
Reid, I'll have to get my new heads and AL exhaust bolted up and see how much more I'll get out of it, the heads are DOOE's with about a 59cc chambers and 1.94/1.60 valves, with roller rockers, should push the compression over 10:1 and hope to get a few more MPH on the top end it run right at 52 mph right now, Hell I might have to take a trick out of Bill's bag and slap on some NOS don't count on it thou.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 8:20am
I have one boat, I think it's lonely Reid.

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 8:37am
Reid,
Welcome back. When your name came up I recalled you having a stable of boats. I went to the diaries, before you posted your inventory above, to remind myself of what you had. You have, I believe, 5 boats in the diaries section. I was impressed with that. some are real beauties. I didn't know there were several more beyond that. I found them by searching NC boats. Paul has quite a few too, I noticed. I'll be in NC a couple times next summer. I am hoping I can swing a trip over to Norman. I'd like to see them all. Paul is a bit closer to me. Might have to go see what he has going on too.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 8:40am
14 Correct Crafts, wow. Which one of those Nautiques was supposed to get the 440?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 8:46am
Chris, I just got off the phone with Pratt & Whitney......

jbear- I don't find time to work on them, that's why most are STILL projects.

Skicat- Got three in the so-called boat garage, two under alum/canvas carport, two hanging in boat house, 4 projects in my whse at work, and the rest, I hate admitting it, but sitting covered in our adjacent lake lot. But also sitting there is Marshall Morgan's hot 70 Mustang from the diaries, my neighbor's 88 Barefoot, my bus.partner's two penis extensions (Donzi & small Scarab), my wife's boss' 15' Whaler, and I think that's it. Thank the Lord, I don't have restrictive covenents.   

TRBenj- The Mopar is actually a 413 and I originally wanted to stuff it in the orange '67. Then I picked up a 426 wedge with the integrated V-drive attached, and thought that would be a nice conversion for a "project". Want some of that action, as it's on the fence?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 9:19am
Reid, I can't even leave my boat outside overnight without getting a letter.

It looks like Chris and Reid are going to be side by side one day out on the water, who will be ahead?

BTW Reid, I like the baby blue SN the best.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 9:29am
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

It looks like Chris and Reid are going to be side by side one day out on the water, who will be ahead?

IIRC, ReidP's '69 Mustang will do 56 (GPS).

Reid, sounds like you have a lot of fun projects. Id love to take one off your hands if only I had a little more time/money/space. You give us all something to aspire to!
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 3:32pm
I am a real estate appraiser and am a partner in a development company. I Drive a Dodge diesel pickup and an 83 jeep cherokee widetrack.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 3:35pm
bchesley, sounds like a conflict of interests, in your favor of course...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Vehicles? My pride and joy, drum roll please, is a 1998 Explorer 5.0, (it's an Eddie Bauer pkg, so ease up) with count'em, 307,000 miles, all put on by me.

Reidp - 307,000 miles?!?! I own a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer with a 5.0. It has 137,000 miles, in which 107,000 were driven by me. Did you have to rebuild your engine? Any major repairs? That 5.0 is one tough monkey, but I don't want to start pouring money into it. I also tow my '86 Nautique with it.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 6:34pm
I'm on pace with those numbers got 80K+ on the '04 colorado, oil and filters and a couple of bulbs so far.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2006 at 9:38pm
Ken, thru a wierd warranty issue, the dealer replaced the engine at 48K, so the 302 actually has only has 259,000. Trans is original, but has tow pkg with cooler so maybe that helped. T-case (full time 4WD) died at 116K but replacement still going strong. AC comp about 200k. Like 79 says, lots of frequent oil changes, and I've never had to add oil. I did change to synthetic just before at 200k, and coincidently when about to leave town for a 500 mile tow to a reunion. BUT PLEASE LETS NOT START THE OIL CONTROVERSY AGAIN. By the way, it's never leaked. And Redneck Reid added dual exhaust with a two-in-two-out Flowmaster some time ago. Not very loud with all the cats still in place, but it needed a little attitude that the factory Ford trucks lack IMO.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

bchesley, sounds like a conflict of interests, in your favor of course...

My background in appraisals really gives me a leg up on putting a product together. We have a birds eye view of what products are selling faster. Plus it is easier to get a loan from the bank. When we sit down to talk numbers we usually wow them with our market research. Both my jobs are fun until it rains
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 11:13am
REidP,

That sounds promising to me. I have AWD, and it hasn't given me issues (knock on wood). My engine feels strong, however hesitates sometimes off the line. Sounds like it skips. I use synthetic oil, changed every 5,000 miles. No smoking issues. The transmission is a little suspect. You can feel it jolt a little from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration on the highway. No slippage though. Other than that, I have no issues. Oh, and it's paid for, which is a bonus!

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 11:19am
Ken have you changed the tranny filter and fluid? should be done about ever 50K
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 12:01pm
I'm a firm believer in a dose of Techron or a bottle of Seafoam every now and then to keep the throttle body and everything on the intake side clean, and it possibly could help the skip. I've never had any issues period with my trans while servicing on an intervals like Chris mentioned, however the torque converter shutters every now and then at low RPM, at least that's what the dealer told me it most likely was. It feels like a miss, or slight jerk when slowly excelerating in higher gears at low speed. And I try to limit the time it spends at 8500 rpms.          
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2006 at 12:02pm
Chris,

Yes, I have taken my truck to Ford for a transmission flush and refill. That was done about 40K miles ago. Maybe it should be done again?

Ken
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 5:50pm
Hey Reid, what became of the Mustang you showed me in your shop that you were trying to put that big a$$ chrysler motor in?
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic