NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing - Honda Pilot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:36am
If your looking at Honda I would take a look at the Ridgeline. I read a review awhile back and they said it actually pulled better than some of the domestics. like some of the others said the Pilot with the unibody and front wheel drive is probably not a good choice.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:59am
I am glad my catch phrase wasn't suckin gas and hauling a$$.

It might have got lost in translation here.

Guess I have never been that worried about fuel economy, that I would be willing to trade either of my F-series for a vehicle that just barely cuts the mustard. I will keep the average fuel economy and keep a truck that gets the job done and still has some left to give you at the end of the day.
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 5:55am
Spent a little time on todicus' hondapilot link. Good read if you are in the market for a Honda. Many of the posters recommend the Ridgeline over the Pilot if you are doing towing. Here are a few copy and pastes from one particular post:

Looking at the specs for the Ridgeline on the Honda web site, the Ridgeline has a higher towing capacity than the Pilot because of the following engineering changes:

Heavy duty Radiator
Heavy duty AT Coolor
Heavy duty PS Coolor
Closed box frame
Upgraded AT (e.g., clutches, shafts, gear ratios and bearings have all been upgraded for towing/hauling)

Don't forget it has a different body not based on the Pilot and has an integrated frame to help deal with the extra capacities.

I recall that the Ridgeline puts more torque
to the rear wheels, too.

more weight alone, means more towing capacity. But all the other comments are true too...

64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 6:02am
Myself, I tow with a '95 Tahoe 4WD with a V8. Excellent Tow vehicle. It still runs over 50 psi oil pressure and get's 18 mpg with 130,000 miles. Put the Tahoe in 4 Low and it will still scratch all 4 on the pavement or run through a foot of water on top of gumbo mud and drag any huge Wakeboard boat out of a launch that's wet and steep. Some of our launch's are gravel.

I even buy American tools and own a Harley. I'm not anti-foreign, but for some reason buying foreign doesn't sit as well with me. Maybe it's because I'm almost 50 and have a Landcruiser as a Company vehicle. The Toyota is OK at best, but then I'm partial to American Muscle, Milwaukee tools and Miller Beer.

Another thought...the Sales taxes you pay on new vehicles or even a used one is more expensive than a years fuel. Buy a real truck for towing, don't finance and drive it 180,000 miles.

Even if your Tow is relatively short; the Insurance Comapnies say most accidents occur close to home. Add a boat on the back of a small SUV and that just increases your risk.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 9:22am
Originally posted by todicus todicus wrote:

You will be sorry if you don't get something that can handle the towing effectively and safely.

I really want to emphasis this point for those who don't tow a lot. For that one time you couldn't stop or blew your trans you won't care how hard it is to park or the 3-5 mpg difference.
Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 10:48am
Something that did erk me quite a bit. When I bought my 06 F150, I really liked the HD grille. Using pieces from the stock grille and the HD, I had a couple of left over parts, one being the blue oval, right off the nose of the truck. I didn't buy it because I was "Buying American" but come on - the friggin logo? Perhaps I should drive with the back of the emblem showing....

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:13pm
Gotwake has a good example. If the logo isn't even made in the USA, what else isn't? Curiousity got the best of me, and I went and got the window sticker from our Accord we bought in February:

2006 Honda Accord EX-L

US/Candadian Parts Content: 70%
Major sources of foreign parts content: Japan 15%

Final a$$embly Point:
Marysville, OH

Country of origin
Engine: USA
Transmission: Japan

Sound like "American Made" to me.....or at least as close to american made as anything else. Even though it's a Honda, it seems like a whole lot of American workers had a hand in the building process. What really irks me is when an American company markets cars as domestic models, when they are really just rebadged cars from somewhere else (Chevy Aveo, Pontiac GTO, etc.) It doesn't matter what it says on the grille or trunklid. Just my .02

Rob
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:14pm
The days of "American" cars are gone.

"General Motors and Ford have always been global companies whose corporate headquarters happen to be in the United States. Daimler-Chrysler is a global company whose headquarters happens to be in Germany." A Toyota Camry or Honda Accord has a much higher domestic content (80 percent) than a Chevy Tahoe (67 percent) or Ford Mustang (60 percent)."

Car competition: Make more vroom

The content gap is closing between "domestic" and "foreign" vehicles

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:37pm
That may be...

but where do the profits go?

what taxes do they pay?

why does the govt. help financially/give breaks for foreign companies to have plants here?
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by 66Skylark 66Skylark wrote:

Rob,

I think it was Boating World just had an article on a couple of tow vehicles, one of which was the Pilot. As I recall, they tested a 2WD model and had some nice things to say about it. If I can find the article would you be interested?

Thanks 66....I would be interested if you could find it. Or even just which issue, and I can swing by the library.

Rob
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:51pm
I used to tow w/a 94-Jeep GrCherokee. In the NE, the whimpy 6-cyl was frustrating & would eat the front brakes, but down south it was fine. Biggest concern was at highway speeds, the boat could manhandle the car (short wheelbase or light weight?).

Anyhow, I now have a Tundra and it's a world of difference.

If you gotta get the Pilot for non-tow (read: wife) reasons, be careful on the highway.
1988SkiNautique2001
862001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 862001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 1:55pm
As far as the foreign vs american trucks go, there are more Japenese trucks built in the US by american auto workers than the domestic brands.
Check it out and you will see for yourself.
Also quality is far superior with the Japs, just wait untill the new 3/4 ton Toyota turbo deisel is released in summer of 2007. Then the Big 3 will really be in trouble.
John,Fremont,NH
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by 862001 862001 wrote:

As far as the foreign vs american trucks go, there are more Japenese trucks built in the US by american auto workers than the domestic brands.
Check it out and you will see for yourself.
Also quality is far superior with the Japs, just wait untill the new 3/4 ton Toyota turbo deisel is released in summer of 2007. Then the Big 3 will really be in trouble.

I think they will be okay. (read) MOST of the 3/4 ton deisel truck drivers/owners are hardcore american and love driving a vehicle from a company with a long history of American heritage.

Again, we know a$$embly is done here. Lets just talk about funding/profit/incentives....
Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:37pm
Funding/profit/incentives

I thought that the majority of profits go to shareholders. (I think it's at 34 a share)Majority Japanese owned? Sure, but since it's publicly traded, anyone, anywhere can own it. Tax breaks and such? Most states will give huge breaks to ANY major mfg. that creates jobs in their state.
I'm not saying I love the foriegn vehicles, but their quaility and resale is hard to argue. Heck the only foreign motor I own is the Honda 50. Now for my TV...

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Gotwake Gotwake wrote:

Funding/profit/incentives

I thought that the majority of profits go to shareholders. (I think it's at 34 a share)Majority Japanese owned? Sure, but since it's publicly traded, anyone, anywhere can own it. Tax breaks and such? Most states will give huge breaks to ANY major mfg. that creates jobs in their state.
I'm not saying I love the foriegn vehicles, but their quaility and resale is hard to argue. Heck the only foreign motor I own is the Honda 50. Now for my TV...

Ken, I agree with most of what is being said including your statement. The only foreign motor I own is in my pressure washer and 49cc pocket bike.
Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:53pm
WHAAAA??? 49 pocket bike??? Got a picture? New topic coming up!
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 8:31pm
i'm not sure what more to add. I have a 200Closed bow. It's right at 3968lbs at the truck scale. a great 6.00 investment. I was using a chevy venture with a V6 I went fot the Chevy Tahoe and got a 2005 around this time of year for less than 27K. That pays for alot of gas. I have gotten an average of 18.2 MPG including pulling the boat 15oo miles round trip this year. Keep in mind the pilot os rated for 3500 lbs regular trailer and 4500 lbs for boats. that is due to the brakes on the boat trailer. If you have to have the pilot make sure you test drive it with the boat. Good luck
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 10:38pm
In drive a Dodge Ram 4X4, 5.9L, heavy Dana rear end and towing package. I towed a flat bed trailer with 6000 pounds on it 150 miles. Handled great. That's the only time I pulled that much. I only tow the boat a couple of times a year (when I need to pull it out to work on it) and that's only about 3 or 4 miles.

Anyway, I've owned several Japanese cars and trucks and a couple of American cars and trucks. The Japanese cars are much better built and engineered and are of much better quality than the American. I've owned four Mazdas and they were oustanding. That is expect for the last one when Ford took them over. Now the only Mazda I'd buy is the RX8 -- it's pretty impressive. My wife has had Hondas and Toyotas and they are outstanding.

I could run down the list of problems I've had with American cars and trucks but it's long and depressing.

The big three have been behind the curve on inovation since the 70s and they haven't really caught up. The biggest problem for and GM are facing is funding their pensions. The Unions have run the American auto industry into the ground and I don't think Ford will be able to recover. GM may be ok because of their other holdings. I haven't heard of Dymlier having problems (other than the Chrysler problems of the 80's). I saw a piece on 60 minutes years ago that sums things up. They interviewed a worker from Ford or GM and his job was to put together a certain number of widgets a day. Once he put together his quota for the day, he would sit there and read a book. He didn't see anything wrong with that. I've always thought the best policy is to let the marketplace decide. If Japan can built a better product cheaper then that's what I buy. Unfortunately, some people are going to loose their jobs because of mistakes in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

By the way, GM has finaly put a good Diesel engine in their trucks. The Duramax is an Isuzu engine.

Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 10:59pm
I've pulled with a Grand Cherokee, Pathfinder, Chevy 2500 P/U, and a Tahoe. Chevy P/U was number 1.....Tahoe close second.

Can't replace the heft of a full size frame and power of a V8.

Would you ever consider putting a V6 in your Correct Craft? Heck No....get the V8!
Brian
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 11:17pm
The thing that kills me about GM is the arrogance of brand marketing. Take the same car (keep in mind, whole vehicle, not platform) and brand it 5 ways. Hell, even brand one as a japenese sounding name for people that think they are buying Japanese (the Izuzu Ascender, being the most blatent example of this as of late). Brand marketing on the scale that GM does it is really insulting to the buyer's intelligence. What if they consolidated the 5 or so weak brands they have and have one brand that makes a good car?
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 11:52pm
   I've said it numerous times and I'll say it again...If you took all the japanese parts off your brand new Harley,you couldn't roll it home.Unfortunate,but true.I love the bikes and I love American cars,too,but we see more and more of"buy american!buy american!"but the reality is that they aren't really american.American built?yes.But so are most of the Japanese cars&bikes.It sucks,but it is what it is.As far as taxes,etc.I totally agree,but can you blame the japanese companies?no.Blame our government.A government of the people that we created.At what point do we as people of this country take responsibility for what is happening here?Our jobs are being lost to places like Mexico,etc.because our government lets it happen.It's cheaper for the manufacturers,too.Do we as consumers see the savings in the prices we are expected to pay-no.So where's the money going?Quality control goes down,jobs are lost in the U.S.,the prices keep going up,The blue collar guy gets screwed while someone else rolls in the money.I'd love to be able to say great things about all things American-I love this country,but reality is reality and my money goes wherever the quality is.If CC made boats in Japan would I buy one?damn right if it was the best quality I could buy for my money.I'm not trying to offend anyone,just all wound up 'cause I put the boat away for the winter today.Jeez,is this supposed to be about tow vehicles or what.Sorry for the rant!

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
GrandSlam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandSlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 10:16am
Rob, if your boat has max out your Explorer with a towing capacity of about 5,500lbs just think what it will do to the Pilot with a capacity of 1,000lbs less. I have owned 2 Explorers and until this year have never had a need to tow – so they were fine (for two adults that is) no complaints with the Explorers. Now I have a Fish Nautique, with the trailer & gear its over 5,500lbs…so the Explorer is max out. Like you I have a short ride to the ramp a couple of times a year but what are you going to do when you need to travel for service or just want to boat on another river or lake? You’re stuck, can’t handle the load, even with the Explorer not mention the Pilot. Well this topic is very timely, for me anyway. Last week we got a call from a friend who buys a new Denali XL every 2 years, his new one just came in and offered me the ’05 at a great price, my wife just test drove the Denali last night (she is the driver of the Explorer) and loves it. Should be no problem to pull the ‘Fish’ plus I do not have to make apologies when adults have to ride in the back seat. No decent tow vehicle is going to get great gas mileage; if that is your priority, like Chris said earlier maybe your wife needs her own ride and then keep your Explorer for the boat and Home Depot runs. Good luck with your decission, my wife just made ours! The Denali gets inspected next week. Jerry
Jerry Troy

USCG Master, 100GT

1989 23' Fish Nautique

1992 47' Jersey SF
Feelgood M.D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 10:46am
Originally posted by 66Skylark 66Skylark wrote:

Rob,

I think it was Boating World just had an article on a couple of tow vehicles, one of which was the Pilot. As I recall, they tested a 2WD model and had some nice things to say about it. If I can find the article would you be interested?

I purchased a Pilot about a month ago. (Before I saw the atricle in BW.) My previous car, an Aztek, was totaled in an accident so I had to get a new car.

At least you were able to total the Aztek, 1 less of those to look at on the road...
Hunting for a Early 2000s Super Air or Super Sport w/ a Python
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Feelgood M.D. Feelgood M.D. wrote:

At least you were able to total the Aztek, 1 less of those to look at on the road...

I was thinking that, but didn't say it!
Busted Knuckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busted Knuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 12:22pm
1. I'm surprised a SNOB on trailer weighs close to 4000 lbs , ouch

2. the Pilot will pull it , My wife has one
and it will pull it fine , the Honda trailer hitch kit is big $$$ because it includes
an oil cooler and get this a power steering oil cooler...... with the hitch and coolers installed it will be fine

3. the Pilot is not a truck , does not ride like one or look like one but it is a very comfortable capable vehicle.

4. trailer brakes ( surge) in good condition are a MUST for any of the newer vehicles foreign or domestic. the Pilot may be able to pull it will not stop it without trailer brakes.

good luck

BKG
Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Busted Knuckle Busted Knuckle wrote:

1. I'm surprised a SNOB on trailer weighs close to 4000 lbs , ouch

Dry weight in my manual is listed at 2340. I figure the trailer (tandem, surge brakes) is probably around 1000. Add in fuel and gear, plus water weight, and there you have it. My concern is what happens when you add in 4 or 5 friends in the vehicle, plus coolers, etc, and then ask the vehicle to go down the interstate. Probably not going to be too safe.

Rob
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 1:05pm
Exactly Rob,

Just Pilot and empty boat I think you would be fine. Add gear, more people, cooler or two and it adds up quickly.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 1:10pm
Feelgood,the bottom line is what will happen on a panic stop situation,even with surge brakes,if tow weight exceeds that of the vehicle pulling said load?????????sometimes we will make bad choices based on good info.Thats what is called an accident.Good choice on the Honda, bad choice to pull a C/C of any flavor........boat dr

boat and trailer weight=3750 lbs
Honda Pilot weight=??????

get the point???????
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Exactly Rob, Add gear, more people, cooler or two and it adds up quickly.

And, yes, adding some of our coolers would add lots of weight!

Ken
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 2:18pm
Interesting that several of the foreign car guy’s bashed the domestics however I do not believe I saw the contrary. Could it be the same as a Moomba or Malibu guy saying what a bucket of bolts a CC is? I have owned quite a few vehicles, with the exception of 2, all being domestic. Quite frankly the domestics have all served me well, mid size and full size SUV’s have all towed well, doubt I would own a mid size again but they did just fine and my Nautiques at that time were single axle no brakes. Foreign competition has probably been a good thing for the Auto industry however with vehicles being my third largest expenditure it gives me a sense of patriotism to support the “Local” brand and the individuals and corporations they represent and I do believe it is also better for our economy as a whole if the majority bought domestic. As far as what others choose, to each his own, personally I am grateful that I have a freedom of choice and that our Grandfathers and their fathers were willing to fight the Pearl Harbor attackers or whoever to ensure that our choice was not lost.

Rob, good luck with whatever you decide, hopefully we will see you at Alan’s this weekend, that is if my domestic vehicle holds up long enough to get me there.

Signed,

Domestics only and that includes Beer!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic