NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pcm 80 trans install

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Slalom fan 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalom fan 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pcm 80 trans install
    Posted: April-03-2021 at 12:18pm
I'm ready to complete the 40 to 80 swap in my 93 sport. The old trans is out and there's a few things I'm not sure on. The first is do the front motor mounts loosen to pivot the back of the motor up and down to make it easier to get the trans bolted up as I've seen in some videos? The rest is torque specs damper plate, bell houing to motor, trans to bell housing, and coupler.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2021 at 6:56pm
Rodney,
I can answer one of your questions about the forward engine mounts and that's yes, they will pivot. You need to loosen the pinch bolt on the pinch blocks that hold the round horizonal shaft so the aft end of engine can be raised. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2021 at 7:59pm
And I can throw out some torque numbers  Wink

Damper plate to flywheel.............20-22 ft lbs

Bellhousing to block.............50 ft lbs

Transmission to bell housing............. 50 ft lbs

Bolts for the coupling halves ..........30 ish ft lbs

These are numbers that assume you're using the original bolts.

You'll notice if you find videos or instructions on line or anywhere else that the damper plate numbers are either skipped over completely or there's a pretty wide range. There's a SkiDim video where Vince not too convincingly mentions that they're usually somewhere between 18 and 26 pounds or so.

You might see reference to 35 ft lbs at times for the same bolts, but those little 5/16 bolts are yelling "stop, you're gonna break me or stretch the hell out of me"

The coupling halves are 3/8 fine thread stainless steel and get skipped over the same way too. You'll find plenty of things saying "tighten the bolts" with no value given. The 30 ish mentioned above works

You didn't ask but the little 1/4-20 bolts holding the dust shield to the front of the bell housing have a value of 80 inch lbs or about 6 1/2 or so ft lbs

Kinda makes you think that most people use their "calibrated elbow" and torque this stuff till they figure it's good and tight and don't have any problems..

I've used these numbers numerous times with light lubrication and clean bolts and nothing has fallen apart on me yet Wink

Also .......these numbers are for a Small Block Ford, something like a Small Block Chevy uses bigger diameter damper plate bolts and 35 ft lbs is often given as their torque value and they use smaller diameter bellhousing to block bolts with 30 ft lbs given for their value. These Chevy numbers came from a Mercruiser manual

RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2021 at 8:05pm
Don't mind me. I'm just watching this thread since I have a 93 sport upon which I may attempt this procedure some day.

Hopefully a good report and some pics coming...
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalom fan 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2021 at 10:08am
Thanks for the information. I've talked to vince several times now as I purchased the kit from skidim. The videos were roy tanis and he only mentioned damper bolts at 18 lbs. It should be a fun day of wrenching.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalom fan 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2021 at 10:11am
Thats what I thought but it didn't make sense coz the shaft is horizontal but thanks for the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic