NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fall skiing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall skiing!
    Posted: October-02-2006 at 8:55pm
We are not done yet! Today was mid eighties...tomorrow 91 ! Water temp 67...a bit chilly!
Even the 5 year old braves the weather! In fact he goes the longest!

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:07pm
That kid is outstanding. There is an XS BI dry suit for sale on ski-it-again... might be worth checking out. As I always say, we put way too much money and time into this sport to only do it in the warm weather.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:16pm
Great shot Gary. Keep skiing!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:21pm
Joel....I agree! Theres no reason not to get 6 or 7 months. We never even thought about skiing at Clinton lake...but now that I have heard how warm the water stays...we can get another month on each end!!! It's only 30-40 minutes away!

Helden has mentioned that we need a heater...must do that! I was surprized how well yours warms things up...real nice!

So...how long will you and Beth go this year before calling the season done?
stang

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:26pm
David...how is the wake on the sport? I hear it puts out a nice wake for boarding and flattens out pretty well slalom skiing.

We are thinking about a mid 90's sport for next year.(must have the GT40 engine too)
stang

The Super Air

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:32pm
Hey Gary,
Great pictures; it just looks like your kiddo is having a blast! We're still skiing here in Missouri as well.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:43pm
Chuck...don't stop until the first iceberg appears!
stang

The Super Air

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 10:16pm
here's one link to start to look at on the sport. Another one is called "rate the wake" I think.

We are primarily slalom skiiers and I like the wake on our sport a lot for that. I'm still trying to push beyond 32 off, but the wake is really good there and shorter. Compared to the MC 209 I ski behind there is little bump at 22 off and 15 off is decent too.

For wakeboarding, I like the wake too. With weight it gets big and has good lift. I've never been behind a super air nautique so don't know how to compare it, but BKH has been pretty helpful on this topic in the past.

I'm glad you're still skiing and found a warmer lake. I think that makes all the difference when you can get a few extra at the end of the season and in a bit earlier in the spring. I'll be in the water most every Tuesday morning that's not raining or stormy all winter long. Since I don't think Houston is one of the prettiest places in the world, I keep my chin up by telling myself that I get to ski year round.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 10:58pm
The wife really likes the 98 sports and Air's...wants the sundeck on the stern!

Need to save some $$$ and sell a couple!

Thanks for the info!!! and link.
stang

The Super Air

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 12:52am
Nice Pic's. I had my 9 year old at our ski lake last weekend. Air was 72 degrees, water 57 degrees. I had her on the boom in a full suit doing some barefoot throw down. I wish I took some pic's.

I took twelve pa$$es on the course, and 4 barefoot runs. I might hang it up here soon.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 7:28am
We'll probably hang it up in mid-november. The heater is absolutely crucial.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 8:48am
2 more weekends left for me I believe, if I could afford a drysuit I'd go another month with M3Fan.

M3Fan: Big push for 5 footers this saturday afternoon, mark your calendar.
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 8:59am
Hey boys, we went to Clinton lake yesterday for some serious carving. We had great water and it was a decent temperature. Maybe 70 or so. But then we decided to drive down and see if they shut down the end of the lake where the warm water is. NOPE! It is still open. Heck, had to plop in and have a cold beer in the warm water. It was at least 80-85 degrees. I think we are going to head back tonight for some more skiing and see if the nephews want to swim. If that end of the lake is open, warm skiing. I don't know how much longer it will be open though. I was surprised. But anyway, the clinton water is decent in temperature at the normal places to ski.

Weather is supposed to be great this weekend. Gee, the 93 is getting more hours in October than it saw all July thru August!

Have a great one!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 2:01pm
Hey Hollywood you Freak Show,

Saturday around 9am we should get started. Anybody else in? This could be the last chance this year to get 5 footers at once, Kurt, Joel, Alan, & others, come on we need some bodies, who is in?

Stang, great shots of your son, he is going to be going upside down before you know it!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 2:13pm
9am? Early risers... yeah we'll be there but as you know many of my buddies, including myself, might be a little late.

I was thinking more along the lines of high noon to give the beach a little show but it's your call.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Hey Hollywood you Freak Show,

Saturday around 9am we should get started. Anybody else in? This could be the last chance this year to get 5 footers at once, Kurt, Joel, Alan, & others, come on we need some bodies, who is in?

Stang, great shots of your son, he is going to be going upside down before you know it!

I'm toast for the rest of the year, my right arm is in a sling. But (in my best ahnold voice) I'll be back.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 8:57am
Hey Alan I tried the flip turn ski Saturday, what a disaster!
Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:29am
Stang - great pictures! Is that at Clinton? Almost looks like the bridge we jump off of at Shelby...
We'll be down at Shelby for the last run of the year the 14 and 15th, and a trip to Extreme on the 16th. We're staying at Wolf. No football conflicts this time!

Quinn -sent you an email.

Couple of cold Clinton shots:

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Hey Alan I tried the flip turn ski Saturday, what a disaster!

Yeah, I've tried the FlipTurn ski many times, That's why I gave it to you.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 10:15am
Pics are at Lake Decatur...

One last Shelbyville run....we have a send off party for my 18 year old Sat...Navy boot camp starts Oct 23 ! Maybe we could head down Sunday! Those pics look cold!

Quinner...The inverts for that tiny one are around the bend. We should send him your way...and you could send him back a footer with a PLBC tatoo
stang

The Super Air

Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 11:44am
We'll be at Wolf camping and riding!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 12:02pm
What weekend are you going to shelby again? This weekend? Weather looks great. We are trying to plan a weekend camping and wolf was great.

Todd
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 10:39pm
Gary; If you come to Florida for some winter skiing, don't come without the little dude. He is boss.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 10:38am
Hey guys, I called clinton lake and they said that the warm side of the lake is open till October 10th. We are going to the "hot tub" this weekend, actually Saturday. If weather pans out, maybe Monday too.

Just thought I would update Illinois people on where the warm water is.

Later, Todd
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Gotwake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

What weekend are you going to shelby again? Todd

I'll be down with a group on the 14-15th weekend.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 5:26pm
stang- I showed those pics of your kid wakeboarding to my 7 year old twin boys last night, asked them if they thought they could do that behind the boat, told them he was 5 yrs. old. their words- "cool! that dudes only 5? look at that little dude go!"

They want to know when he started...

Thanks for the inspiration, they can't wait to learn... too bad they have to wait until next year, too cold here to start this year...

great pics!!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 7:04pm
7 year old twin boys...your going to have double the fun! It is so much easier for the younger ones to start...they pop up with barely
a nudge of the trottle!

My five year old has watched his brothers for so long I think the how to do it part was just there! He started this summer...tried him first on a wake skate(no bindings) with a helper in the water...he could plane a little, 100 ft or so and would fall...next we used some beginner skis (tips locked together)...and he was able to get up a ride in a couple trys...threw him on his brothers wakeboard...and off he went...a day later he was getting up on the wake skate without help and spinning 180's. We were on a two week lake vacation when all this took place. They pick it up sooo fast!

Your twins are at a great age to learn! They will really surprize you! The boat driving part is a process of a slow steady start...very easy too give to much throttle!
I think the wakeboard may be easier for youngsters because of the amount of surface it has...it will plane out so easy with light riders! It helps at first to have a helper in with them...shallow sand bottom waist high is ideal! Booms are great if you have one! Line can be around 60 feet....a tower or sky pole doed not hurt either(more lift). Once they are up... a good learning speed will be between 12 - 14 mph. A couple days and they will like 14-16 where the wake becomes smaller.After they start to learn the edges, make cuts and are handling the wake , you can up the speed...our little dude rides at 18 mph.

Let me tell you this!!! You are in for a great time(you know that!)!

Be sure to report back and post pics!!!! Best to you all!
stang

The Super Air

Feelgood M.D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 7:31pm
The weekend of December 6th will mark the close of my summer, Hollywood and several others will be heading down to the Dallas Fort Worth area for a mid-winter foot. Doubt the lake will still have the slalom course on it but there is always hope.
Hunting for a Early 2000s Super Air or Super Sport w/ a Python
Former Boats:
2001 SN 196
1986 BFN
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 11:29pm
Stang- Thanks for all the pointers. you anwered a lot of the questions I had about starting them out. I can't wait to get them out there (they can't wait either!) too bad I had to buy the boat at the end of summer.
I have a ten year old daughter too. So, what would you suggest buying as far as ski's ,wakeboards to get the kids started, any suggestions? All we have is what I got with the boat, a slalom ski, a beat-up knee board, and some old lifejackets. I did get a Boom with it, i know this will be helpfull teaching them.

Anyone have any more pics or videos of kids on the water?

I'm looking forward to posting pics of the kids behind the boat
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2006 at 11:34am
Randy...the boom will be a big help! Equiptment...I would think the age diff in the kids is going to be close enough that anything you buy(skis,wakeboard etc)will be a size all three can share! Wakeboards for light riders...128 would be good. I like small adult bindings for kids rather than kids bindings...they are easy to get on and can be snugged up enough. A good board for beginner to intermed...Liquid Force evolution, Liquid Force Diva or CWB surge (CWB is a scaled down pro style board for light riders).
A wakeboard and cheep pair of used skis to learn on....and you are good to go until they see something else to try!
Childrens wet suits(dirt cheep on ebay)...nice to have if you start out in the spring
The 93 should be a great boat for you all!
stang

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic