Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dampener plate replacement YIKES

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dampener plate replacement YIKES
    Posted: August-10-2020 at 4:48pm
Just wondering if there is a how to resource for this repair, as I appear to be staring this in the face on my 2004 SAN TE.  Lost forward and reverse at the same time and Vince at  SkiDIM seems convinced that this is the issue.....

Never seen a step by step or help guide for a v-drive boat.  Any help appreciated and sorry for not posting in the maintenance forums. 
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 5:03pm
Pull transmission. Replace damper plate attached to flywheel. Reinstall transmission. Perform engine alignment.  What could be simpler?

You may want to look on YouTube and search for Inboard marine transmission removal or similar wording.  You’ll be surprised what you can find on YT. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 5:10pm
Yea except he said V Drive.......    Load it on the trailer and take it to Jody- http://www.floridainboards.com/home.html
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 5:50pm
Yea Gary good point. Florida Inboards is a better option.  Jody will fix him up.
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2020 at 6:12pm
all good guys and thanks........my main question/ concern is weather to pull engine out the transom end, or is more expedient to pull the fuel cell, and then slide the v-drive and transmission forward....looks like either would work!  In either case I think i have to align the prop shaft......

.....unfortunately any reputable service folks up in N.Georgia are 4-5 weeks out to get started.  To say its been a wild year for boating and boat sales is an understatement in our area.  all the dealers are dang near sold out and the service depts are BUSY.  I may still ask a couple folks.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2020 at 5:59am
Matt welcome to the site.... where on Lanier are you? Mike aka Nautiquehunter has a 08 210 and is in Flowery Branch and may have a recommendation for you. Pretty sure he does his own maintenance on his 210 but may be able to give you a tip or two to do it yourself if you aren't afraid of wrenching it. I'm on the Cumming side of Lanier but have direct Drives so damper plates are a fairly easy fix for me. Hopefully he'll see this post and chime in. Welcome to CCFan!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2020 at 8:26am
Thanks, and nice to meet another owner on the lake!

I'm in North Forsyth Co., very close to keith bridge park and little hall park.....pretty much in between them...... I'm tearing the thing apart and hope to be pretty much ready to make the repair itself by the weekend.  Been out of town this week...... 

Side note:  holy crap when you take out an interior you find 16 years of nasty in some cervices.....I'm too afraid to show pictures of it to this bunch!  (it'll get really clean back there now!!!!!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2020 at 8:34am
Matt,
What direction did you decide on? Pulling the engine or the trans/Vdrive to get to the bell housing? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2020 at 10:40am
based on some pretty lengthy debate with my engineer neighbor and buddy i think we lift the gas tank up and out of the way, and then slide the transmission and v-drive forward......i am quite capable wrenching but he's pretty brilliant- owns an older ski nautique  as well.

Tomorrow I am taking the day off and I have to figure out how to tag and remove the maze of wiring all over the transmission and bell housing area. Once that is uncovered I will be ready to go.  

I'll take photos and keep posting.  Nerves on EDGE!  LOL.
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2020 at 10:42am
Morfoot, btw I have seen kermit.  I love that boat!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by mattm73 mattm73 wrote:

Morfoot, btw I have seen kermit.  I love that boat!

Ribbit!!!!!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 4:08pm
VICTORY     

DONE (I hope)

Pulled the engine: the hub had sheared off of the dampener plate.  

Spent Monday night removing exhaust, etc......getting ready to pull the engine itself, leaving the 4 remaining motor mounts undisturbed hopefully.

Tuesday night used a cherry picker to lift the engine up with a helper, and once it came loose of the transmission input shaft it was obvious that the plate was my problem.  actually tried to put it back in tuesday about 10pm but could not get the splines to line up and had no marine grease.

Wednesday night had two helpers, and wiggled the engine on and bolted it down finger tight.  Still worried if it would run correctly.

Thursday night spent re connecting various bits and assessing how may new hose clamps etc. that I would need.  Rain on my EZ up tent finally drove me into the house.  Didnt get that much done to be honest.

Friday afternoon I test started very quickly in the driveway and the prop turned.  Water tested and found two small exhaust riser leaks.  Noted to fix them later.  Drove it to the dock and lifted it.  Cleaned the fool out of the interior.

Saturday spent on the lake.  only pulled a bunch of kids tubing.  Seems like its running quiet but i may have a TINY leak in the packing gland at the hull.  Not sure if that means I have to do an alignment any despite trying to avoid doing so by only pulling the engine....

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 5:06pm
Nice work. You really should do an alignment after pulling the engine/trans.  Not that hard to do compared to your engine removal exercise.  

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2020 at 12:54pm
So to be clear i pulled the engine but did NOT touch the trans or v-drive.  Does this make a difference?  

in my 2004 SAN I have 6 drive-train mounts,

2 holding engine
2 holding trans
2 holding v-drive

I unbolted the two holding the engine from the stringers and raised the engine out.....

Thoughts?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2020 at 1:29pm
Matt,
With two mounts on the trans and two on the V drive, the alignment shouldn't have changed but, to be safe I'd check it anyway. Also, when was it last checked? IE: was it good before you pulled the engine? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2020 at 5:49pm
I believe that the alignment was fine before I pulled the engine.  It ran, and still runs very smoothly.  But I will look into checking because it has never been aligned. Thanks for the tip.
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2020 at 5:50pm
I've got photos and will post them if yall want....

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2020 at 9:06pm
Matt I'm interested in pictures - like what you used and how you setup the engine lift,how much clearance thru the hatch etc. Did you pull it completely out or just enough to get the belhousing and plate out. Hope I never have to do it .....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 11:36am
Here we have the here I was with the boat on the trailer with engine hoist suspending a load spreader with chains to the front and rear lifting points on the engine.

In order to lift it out I removed the muffler and exhaust hoses to create a surprising amount of room aft of the pulleys and belt. Hanging the engine from the bar is neat because you can make subtle adjustments to the angle of the engine while its being held.  Very helpful when re installing!

Here we are fully removed and still have the bell housing on.  Clearly at this point you can see the hub sheared out of the dampener plate. Only have to remove the bell housing at this point to get the plate off.

Photo-bomb from brilliant fellow Nautique Owning neighbor who helped me....

OUCH.  not going far with this thing going on.....

This cover plate has to come off the bell housing to access a single bolt that holds the bell housing on.....this might be the trickiest part because I would not have believe there was a bolt in there.....kinda found it by accident....

Bell housing off.  here is your culprit.

mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 11:39am
new plate installed.....time to cross fingers and re-install the heart of the beast.

mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 11:40am
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 11:42am
Its a lot more work than that, but it could really be done in a day I think.  I only got to work on it after work at night and i got all sorts of distracted thinking i would remove the fuel tank, etc.....
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 4:39pm
Thanks for those. With the back deck off it sure makes it look like there is alot more room to work. And it's great to see that you were able to do it with an engine hoist.  You should be proud of yourself for a quick fix,saving some money and learning more about your boat than you probably ever wanted to.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mattm73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 10:18pm
All told I think i have $250 in the plate and $50 in misc. parts.....and most say that this is a $3000 job?

......and i saved weeks of waiting too.  mostly like you said tho i learned a lot even having owned this thing for 16 years.

The single biggest difference maker in getting room around the motor is removing the exhaust system and BOOM.....you have room to work.

I would like to know what the symptoms of propshaft mis-alignment are?  Subtle, or pronounced?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic