NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

best boat cover for the $$$?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best boat cover for the $$$?
    Posted: September-29-2006 at 11:59pm
Alright CC freaks. Who carries the best boat cover for the $$. I see them for 200-450 bucks. I store outside so i seem to go through one every 2 years.

Suggestions?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2006 at 11:06am
lakeboy, you should consider shrinkwrap every year
"the things you own will start to own you"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2006 at 11:09am
Westland is good sh*t, and also consider using a fresh tarp over your old cover in the offseason, save the good one for onseason
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 12:48am
Eric,

Tell me about the shrink wrap. A buddy of mine did that and opened it up in spring with tons of mildew. Some years I have the same problem, too.

My strategy this year is to get a good cover (breathable) and set up a one of those covered canopies to keep most of the rain off.
froese76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote froese76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 8:23pm
Overton's - (http://www.overtons.com)

I just replaced my cloudburst model with the sharkskin model. Cloudburst is around $240 and Sharkskin was $300 (this is for a SN 2001).

I got the custom cover that covers the swim platform and love the sharkskin. It's not cloth feeling like the cloudburst (although the cloudburst was good) and seems to be super tough. This tarp is trailerable.

I, too, got tired of spending $$ every other year on a cover, so I bought a $99 20' portable tube framed tarp cover that covers the boat and keeps it out of the sun entirely. Closest thing to a garage, and this cover ought to last for years to come.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 9:07pm
I've always used a Sundura made by Sunbrella (I think I have that right), they last about 2 days past the 5 year warranty.
Tim D
LakeMilton2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeMilton2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 2:00pm
This post is for Froese76... did you say in one of your posts you bought a 1987 sharkskin cover from overtons for your 1986 SN2001 and it fit just perfectly? We just bought a 1986 SN 2001 and need a new cover.

Thanks for your help.
LakeMilton2001
74 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 2:07pm
I bought my sharkskin off of ebay, fits perfect.
Shake and Bake
1974 Skier
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 9:57pm
well you can get what ever brand make cover you want but it's not going to keep it from causing mildew.

Place a coulpe of damp-rid containers in the boat cover it with your road cover then cover that with a tarp and call it a day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic