Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sad Day At The Lake!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 12:41am
Vince,
Sorry you had to go through this. I am curious how many were in the boat and if any were hurt, i.e., thrown into the windshield, banged up or tossed overboard, etc.? The pictures don't seem to indicate a rocky bottom in the area where the boat is floating, so I am intrigued by the absence of a marker in that area? The hull looks like it was not riding high in the water when the strike happened, almost like a slower speed impact since the hull is grooved almost all way to the bow. But the damage is incredible. I agree with the others who have commented about the possibility of transmission damage, and also the obvious water in the engine issues.

My advice, for what it is worth, take the insurance proceeds and find another CC as soon as possible, the season is still young. The boat can be fixed, but at significant cost, and time. This is not the type of repair to learn on.
1980 Rebuild
Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Watauga Watauga wrote:

Vince,
Sorry you had to go through this. I am curious how many were in the boat and if any were hurt, i.e., thrown into the windshield, banged up or tossed overboard, etc.? The pictures don't seem to indicate a rocky bottom in the area where the boat is floating, so I am intrigued by the absence of a marker in that area? The hull looks like it was not riding high in the water when the strike happened, almost like a slower speed impact since the hull is grooved almost all way to the bow. But the damage is incredible. I agree with the others who have commented about the possibility of transmission damage, and also the obvious water in the engine issues.

My advice, for what it is worth, take the insurance proceeds and find another CC as soon as possible, the season is still young. The boat can be fixed, but at significant cost, and time. This is not the type of repair to learn on.

Thank you.

There were two of us in the boat. No injuries. I just started to make a turn (speed high 30's) when we hit the rock. There are no markers. There hasn't been a lot of rain and the lake has gotten pretty shallow in that area. This also happened at night so it was difficult to judge. My girlfriend was sitting on the observation seat when we hit. She slid into me. Luckily we didn't get injured. The boat continued to move forward after impact. By the time I realized there was no steering, we were in the middle of the lake. We bailed water with a chicken bucket until it became apparent we were going to have to swim to shore. There was also a huge storm getting close. Quite a night.
Yeah, the damage is pretty extensive. Probably another boat in our future.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:56am
Hate to see that, your boat looks like it was a nice one in the pictures. That damage is pretty severe.   If you like projects and like to learn new things and would enjoy doing the repair it can be done. You may have to donate every weekend all summer to do it though.
Maybe buy another similar boat that needs parts that your old boat can offer and make one good boat out of two.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 10:05am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Hate to see that, your boat looks like it was a nice one in the pictures. That damage is pretty severe.   If you like projects and like to learn new things and would enjoy doing the repair it can be done. You may have to donate every weekend all summer to do it though.
Maybe buy another similar boat that needs parts that your old boat can offer and make one good boat out of two.

That would be quite a project. Migrating to a different boat might be the answer.
Would the engine and or interior from my 89 fit a 94/95 Super Sport V-Drive?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 1:14pm
I know it seems like the wrong time of year to be buying a boat, but Covid is causing some people to sell their toys, I think this year is a bit different from other years. If you keep your eyes peeled and are willing to travel a bit to look at boats you can find a fair deal.

You mentioned v-drives, are you guys mostly wake boarding?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I know it seems like the wrong time of year to be buying a boat, but Covid is causing some people to sell their toys, I think this year is a bit different from other years. If you keep your eyes peeled and are willing to travel a bit to look at boats you can find a fair deal.

You mentioned v-drives, are you guys mostly wake boarding?

Yes, we are mostly wakeboarding.   Would like to try wakesurfing at some point.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 2:29pm
Could the intake from a GT40 work on a 351 Pleasure Craft?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 2:55pm
Depends on what your'e trying to do.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Depends on what your'e trying to do.

If I ifind a 95/96 Super Sport with a bad engine I'm wondering if I could take the 351 from the 1989 ski nautique 2001, switch out intakes and install it. Would that work or am I way off track?    
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:13pm
Rotation on mine is to the right. Is that the case with the GT40?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:24pm
A GT 40 is left hand rotation. Your crank and cam are wrong. Block,pistons, rods, flywheel, balancer, could be used. Gt’s Heads are better as well. A GT 40 block in your case is not really much difference than the block you now have. The big difference is a between the two is a 40 block is ready to accept roller lifters where yours is not. Does not make any difference because Ford never used roller lifters in a marine engine but the blocks were just pulled from normal production which used them in cars and trucks.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

A GT 40 is left hand rotation. Your crank and cam are wrong. Block,pistons, rods, flywheel, balancer, could be used. Gt’s Heads are better as well.

Gary are you still stuck in FL?
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:44pm

A GT 40 is left hand rotation. Your crank and cam are wrong. Block,pistons, rods, flywheel, balancer, could be used. Gt’s Heads are better as well. A GT 40 block in your case is not really much difference than the block you now have. The big difference is a between the two is a 40 block is ready to accept roller lifters where yours is not. Does not make any difference because Ford never used roller lifters in a marine engine but the blocks were just pulled from normal production which used them in cars and trucks.

When looking at the front of the engine it rotates to the right. Would that be considered right or left rotation?
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:45pm
Or, could the entire engine be swapped out with a carburetor?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by C_Heath C_Heath wrote:

A GT 40 is left hand rotation. Your crank and cam are wrong. Block,pistons, rods, flywheel, balancer, could be used. Gt’s Heads are better as well.

Gary are you still stuck in FL?

I heard there was a petition circulating up north to close the borders to him.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by vbatla vbatla wrote:

When looking at the front of the engine it rotates to the right. Would that be considered right or left rotation?

If when you say "left", you mean clockwise, then it is a left hand

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 3:54pm

Or, could the entire engine be swapped out with a carburetor?

Yes & Yes
rotation
But remember yours was under water so if you want to use that you need to get into yours start drying/cleaning that up ASAP
Since yours was a lefty also, I would think you can use that as a short block and build the it with the GT40 parts from the other, Not sure how the cam profiles differ so you may or may not get the total GT-40 performance.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

There are people selling stripped hulls. You could move many of your items to a new used hull. Best is too take the insurance money and get another boat.

What's a good source for a stripped hull?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 1:38pm

Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

There are people selling stripped hulls. You could move many of your items to a new used hull. Best is too take the insurance money and get another boat.

What's a good source for a stripped hull?

They appear on this site and on classic correct craft facebook. Look for someone parting out a boat in the parts for sale forums. The wait could be long and could be short.   If you go this route you have to be willing to travel to get one and spend all summer doing the work and not in the boat.

Also, like was stated above, that engine has been underwater so it need to be taken apart or dealt with in some manor before it rust up. Water need to be removed and pickled in some manor. Filled with oil until you can deal with it. I am not an expert on this process, but you need to move fast.

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 2:36pm
I see one problem with the above mentioned plan and that is that 99.9% of the time the hulls are being scraped because the stringers are junk leaving it not worth repairing.
Hence the reason for the part out and scraping the hull.
Southvvind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southvvind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 2:39pm

The stringers are perfect. Looks like insurance will total it. 50/50 on rebuild at this point.

Looking at a 1999 Malibu Sunsetter VLX. I like the additional room. How does the wake on the Malibu compare to an 89 Ski Nautique?

It compares favorably, but just in terms of above-the-waterline function, open bow, all that jazz. Wake-wise you're taking a hit, if you wakeboard primarily.

Those Sunsetters are nice but the hull is flat and it makes a pretty weak wake unless you load it down big time. You'd be much better off with a Sport Nautique, or a ProStar 205, V-drive 205 or even a Super Sport Nautique. Those are good options. It kind of hurts my stomach to see that 2001 sunk to the gunwales and I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad everyone was safe but oooooofffffff.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 3:11pm
+1 on looking for a good Sport Nautique. Make sure that you look for a 1993 or newer Nautique and the boat will have no wood to rot. In 1993 CC changed to all-composite construction.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 3:16pm
It’s a 89 so it’s going to be a lefty as he describes with a 1.23 and rh prop.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 4:44pm
+3, or maybe by now +7, on finding a new boat and enjoying the summer. By all means if you want to keep the 2001 engine and useful parts, and over the next year keep eyes open for a hull that needs engine, it would be a neat project if you have the bug to complete a restoration. Otherwise cut your losses and move on, you'll be MUCH happier IMO.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 5:44pm

+3, or maybe by now +7, on finding a new boat and enjoying the summer. By all means if you want to keep the 2001 engine and useful parts, and over the next year keep eyes open for a hull that needs engine, it would be a neat project if you have the bug to complete a restoration. Otherwise cut your losses and move on, you'll be MUCH happier IMO.

Thanks. I appreciate all the input while maneuvering through this.   Finding another boat would get me on the water much faster, that's for sure.

Mine would through out a nice wake with no ballast. Would that be the case with a sport, super sport or a Ski Nautique Sport 216? 226?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2020 at 5:52pm
Sport - good wakeboard wake with ballast. In my experience surfing was a stretch, lighter people were able to, heavier were not. We use a pair of 400 lb. bags beside the doghouse, one 800 lb. in the back.

Super Sport v-drive - would be ideal for you, harder to find these days.

Sport 216 or 226 - I'm not really familar with those boats.
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2020 at 4:54pm

Sport - good wakeboard wake with ballast. In my experience surfing was a stretch, lighter people were able to, heavier were not. We use a pair of 400 lb. bags beside the doghouse, one 800 lb. in the back.

I've zeroed in on a 2002 Super Air Nautique TE. Would my trailer accommodate that boat?
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2020 at 5:25pm

I've zeroed in on a 2002 Super Air Nautique TE. Would my trailer accommodate that boat?

Doubt it, but it depends on what trailer you have. I tried my '92 SN on my '89 trailer and the '92 was too wide. Also, there are differences between V-drive and DD trailers. I think the axle is farther back for the v-drives.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Also, there are differences between V-drive and DD trailers. I think the axle is farther back for the v-drives.

Correct. With the engines weight in different spots, the axle(s) are positioned differently.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 10:59am

I went from an '89 Supra closed bow direct drive - a 21' - into my 2003 Super Air Nautique TE. We absolutely love the boat for our family, and I primarily wakeboard or wakeskate behind it - I love to ski but I'll just go behind a proper ski boat, lots of friends have those if I want a pull! I've skied behind a SuperSport and it was... ok. It's funny, the SAN has the same footprint as my old Supra - same width and length - but it has SO much more usable space.

Any particular reason you're looking at 2002 specifically? I know the interior changed a bit between 2001 and 2003, I don't know when exactly. But my '03 has a deeper floor and slightly narrower gunwales, so a little more interior room overall, compared to the earlier SuperSports and Super Airs with the same layout. Just a thought. Either will be vastly better than a direct drive for interior space.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic