Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Ground to Bus

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Ground to Bus
    Posted: April-11-2020 at 9:55pm
Trying to deal with a some Perfectpass issues and one of the things recommended is a good ground. If a ran a new ground from the bus to the motor with 6 gauge wire would that be acceptable? I saw some post which said run a new ground from bus to battery, but I think running directly from bus to engine ground would be better, am I missing something?
Thanks
Far north downunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Far north downunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2020 at 10:17pm
Most people are running the new ground to the engine, not sure what is better. If the issue is not fixed you may need to upgrade the positive feed from the engine to the dash. I just upgraded the feeds from the ignition breakers to the key, and ground to the engine and it fixed my PP issues.

6 gauge should be fine, most people are using 8 gauge for the ground upgrade.
1994 SNOB
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 8:19am
Seems to me that it doesn't make any difference whether you go to the engine or the battery with your new ground wire.

One way might use a longer wire than the other

One way might be easier to run the wire and attach it.

Sounds like a personal preference type of thing.

Why do you think it's better going to the engine?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 9:55am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Seems to me that it doesn't make any difference whether you go to the engine or the battery with your new ground wire.

One way might use a longer wire than the other

One way might be easier to run the wire and attach it.

Sounds like a personal preference type of thing.

Why do you think it's better going to the engine?

Very good question. Is closer to the alternator better or closer to the battery. Cast iron isn't the best conductor of electricity. As a compromise, I'd go to the same spot on the engine block where the negative battery cable is connected.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 10:28am
I think I answered my own question   

Here's a semi long read in the link below that would suggest the block is best

And...........the original ground point for the dash is the block when you follow that black wire backwards from the dash.

link

td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 10:49am
Thanks everyone - I ran it back to block where the ground for the battery was connected - I figured it was less connections to the place the battery grounds, It may be bad logic but it is done now. I will check out the link.
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 11:01am
After reading the article, I now have another question, should I remove the original ground from the busfuse bar, All I did was add in the new ground, now I am wondering if I should have removed the original ground wires which were there, before adding the new ground.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by td_in_nc td_in_nc wrote:

After reading the article, I now have another question, should I remove the original ground from the busfuse bar, All I did was add in the new ground, now I am wondering if I should have removed the original ground wires which were there, before adding the new ground.

Tom,
You are fine as is. The extra wire doesn't create a ground loop. (see the article). In wiring, it's very common to run multiple conductors when amps are high and it's not feasible to run one large conductor. Many times it's even easier to run multiple.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 11:28am
Thanks Pete - You nailed my concern about the ground loop.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 1:13pm
And I thought a ground loop was bad tail dragger landing!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

And I thought a ground loop was bad tail dragger landing!

A ground loop on landing is an ugly thing!   
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 5:43pm
Okay I looked it up and I cannot find out what ground loop means related to skiing. Someone has to explain....
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2020 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by td_in_nc td_in_nc wrote:

Okay I looked it up and I cannot find out what ground loop means related to skiing. Someone has to explain....

In case of sarcasm, my apologies. A ground loop as it relates to flying a plane is essentially wipe out when you swap ends with a tail wheel airplane when landing. It can be a minor embarrassment all the way to a nasty crash.

I flew a Turbo Beaver floatplane that subsequently (a few years later) was water-looped but fortunately the engine did not ingest water. It was much cheaper to repair as a result. That was a very cool plane. It still is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic