NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cutting prop off

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cutting prop off
    Posted: July-24-2019 at 12:05am
Anyone ever have to cut a prop off? Mine is stuck and i am running out of ideas. I have been rotating the puller, tapping the side of the hub, hitting the back of the hub, heating the hub, spraying WD40 in the keyway and around the hub. The thing hasnt budged.

I know it seems drastic, but not sure what else to do. I have the puller on there snugged up and am going to leave it over night.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 2:13am
I had a stubborn prop a few years ago and I put the puller under tension, struck it with a metal hammer to “ring it” striking the forward facing area of the hub. I left it overnight and in the morning it was free. My neighbors might have heard the bang in the night, but I was preparing to strike it again if it were still attached.

It’ll pop. Stay with it.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 3:59am
With the puller tensioned as tight as you can, I have had to hit one with a 2 pound ball pen hammer. It popped off. I hit right on the puller bolt head.
My next step would also be with it fully under tension add a little heat on the prop, not the shaft.   They can be pretty stubborn. Heat should grow the prop and help it pop.
Can you see if the keyway is intact or did it shear and spin?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 7:13am
Brant,
What type of puller do you have? If it's a "C" clamp style then they are worthless on props that are really stuck. All they do is stretch open when you apply the pressure. A puller that applies even pressure will work

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 11:04am
I am using a 2 jaw puller. Checked it this morning and it will still on there. I am going to give it another go after work today.

I will check the key and make sure that it is good. The prop is still lined up with the keyway, so i wouldnt expect that i sheered it.

How much heat are people applying? I wrapped a wet towel around the the strut to protect the bearing and heated the hub hot to the touch, but i could still check it without burning my hand. Do you need to apply tons of heat? To the point where you cant even touch the hub?

How hard is it to drop the entire shaft? I know i would need to pull the rudder and disco it from the trans. After that does the flange that connect to the trans come off easy and it just slips out? I have to repack the packing nut so not worried about that part. Figure then i could put it in a press. Guessing 20 tons would get it pulled
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 11:22am
Here's a link down below to various threads on coupling removal, it's not a lot of fun assuming you have a straight shaft with an interference fit coupling

Plenty of heat from a set of torches is good in your case,

A tight puller, heat and a good rap on the puller bolt may work for you

Everybody has their favorite type of puller, but a 2 jaw probably isn't at the top of most peoples list. One like what Pete showed works good. and would probably do the job with no heat needed.

Leave the prop nut on the end of the shaft so that when it pops loose, that hot hunk of metal doesn't land in your lap.   

link

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 12:09pm
Yeah mo heat than that, It can take it.

Consider icing the shaft for a spell to then hit the hub with MAP gas for a quick heatup with the puller cranked. Keep your hands and face away.

Mine let go a few minutes later after walking away.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 1:20pm
I had some galling happen to a shaft and prop. It took a lot of heat and a lot of force to get it off. The key was stuck in the prop. Then, Prussian blue and valve grinding compound on the existing shaft and different prop
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 2:12pm
It is eating at me so i am going to leave work a little early so i have more time. I will put some ice packs on the shaft and wrap wet towels around that and the strut. Then put the puller on tight and heat the hell out of it. If that doesnt do it i am getting out the angle grinder tomorrow and will cut it off.
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 3:25pm
The same thing happened to me. I finally took her up to gun-driver, who cranked up the prop puller and used map gas, which is hotter than the propane I was using (thanks Paul!) It finally popped off. There was a ridge on the metal that hung up the prop. It's filed down now. Thankfully, I didn't have to cut anything.

I know the frustration, but encourage you to give it another try w a lot of puller pressure and heat.
1988SkiNautique2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by brantb brantb wrote:

It is eating at me so i am going to leave work a little early so i have more time. I will put some ice packs on the shaft and wrap wet towels around that and the strut. Then put the puller on tight and heat the hell out of it. If that doesnt do it i am getting out the angle grinder tomorrow and will cut it off.

If it doesn't work with your 2 jaw puller, let it keep eatin' at you and get something actually built for pulling props.

You might see quite a difference in how it works compared to what I'm imagining is a universal type puller you have right now with slop in every pivot point and hard to keep everything centered to give a straight pull

And....................... you'll have it for next time you need one
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 6:28pm
Well i would love to have a great story with how it all played out, but i dont. Left work early, picked up a shorter bolt, and put the puller on. I cranked it down to probably 70-80 ft-lbs and gave it a couple good hits on the bolt and i knocked it loose. Having never pulled a prop i figured maybe 30-40 ft-lbs would work and i was wrong. After all it says not to install the nut any more than 35.

Anyways, the new prop is on.

Anyone recently get a prop repaired? What does that typically run? If it isnt too bad i will send it in, otherwise i will wait for another good sale at Overtons and pick up a new one.

2nd EDIT: The old prop was a 12.5x17. Thinking now it isnt worth it to have it repaired because i am at 5k feet. Put an Acme 422 12.5x15.5 on there now.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 7:20pm
Brant,
Congratulations on getting that prop off! Even though the puller worked, I'd suggest looking into a prop puller.

Hopefully you did lap the new prop onto the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2019 at 5:01pm
Agree with Pete....I just went through this process....and you NEED to lap your new prop and the prop shaft..so the surfaces have more contact. It's an easy process, and takes ALL of 15 minutes to complete, for piece of mind.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic