Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RPM lost at 2800 PCM Pro Boss GT40 Ski Nautique 96
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RPM lost at 2800 PCM Pro Boss GT40 Ski Nautique 96

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPM lost at 2800 PCM Pro Boss GT40 Ski Nautique 96
    Posted: May-31-2019 at 3:05pm
Hi Community

My ProBoss GT40 on a ski nautique 1996 has a special problem. If i give full throttle it stucks at 2800RPM and falls down to 2300RPM this process repeats then every few seconds. If i stay under the 2800 everything works fine. I dont know what the problem is, last year everything was fine with it. but this season is really bad to start :/ maybe someone could help me out? πŸ˜•

I did check the forum and google but can’t find this specific problem. I also checked the manual but cant find any solution for this failure. Is there any possibility that there is a fault by the computer snd i have to reset the computer? Is this even possible to reset the computer?

Please help me out i dont know what i can do to make this engine work again.

Sry for my bad english πŸ˜…

Greets from switzerland
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 3:45pm
If it is running smooth while this happens it may be a fuel supply issue.

I believe there is a valve in the fuel tank, that can be checked.

You can hook up a fuel pressure gauge and run the engine, that would let you verify quickly if it is fuel or ignition related. Fuel pressure should not drop when you accelerate, it should increase to offset loss of vacuum when accelerating.

There is a GT40 specific help section on this forum that keeps the most frequent failures recorded.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

There is a GT40 specific help section on this forum that keeps the most frequent failures recorded.

Her's the thread on the GT40

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 3:52pm
Ok Thank for the fast reply 😊 will check tomorrow. Before this years season started i did change the fuel filter maybe it stucks there 🧐
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 4:17pm
When I first bought my boat I installed a new fuel filter, if memory serves me correctly I purchased a filter that was too fine, 5 micron or something like that. I thought it would clean very well and I thought that would be better. Bought two of them at the same time.
I believe I had to remove that filter as it did not flow enough fuel.
I don't remember the required filter size, 10-20 micron???
I should remember since it tripped me up and I had to throw away two new filters.
I checked my book and I did not keep notes, sorry.
You might check and see what you installed for a filter.
This is the screw on filter mounted in the engine compartment.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 4:30pm
Running good up till 2800 rpm makes me think your engine may be going into "limp mode"

The link below has a description from the manual in the post by Lewy2001 that might be helpful

Like he says, removing the wire from the water temp switch and the oil pressure switch one at a time and running the boat will tell you if that's the problem.

You can have normal readings on the oil pressure and water temperature gauges which are fed from sending units that are different pieces of equipment from the switches so the indications can look and be right, but a defective switch will put you into limp mode.

It's quick and easy to check and maybe you'll find the problem is one of the switches or at least it will let you rule them out as a cause.

link
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 4:46pm

When I first bought my boat I installed a new fuel filter, if memory serves me correctly I purchased a filter that was too fine, 5 micron or something like that. I thought it would clean very well and I thought that would be better. Bought two of them at the same time.
I believe I had to remove that filter as it did not flow enough fuel.
I don't remember the required filter size, 10-20 micron???
I should remember since it tripped me up and I had to throw away two new filters.
I checked my book and I did not keep notes, sorry.
You might check and see what you installed for a filter.
This is the screw on filter mounted in the engine compartment.

I bought the same one that was installed before, not sure about the micron. You think this one is ok?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ch%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162997516169
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Running good up till 2800 rpm makes me think your engine may be going into "limp mode"

The link below has a description from the manual in the post by Lewy2001 that might be helpful

Like he says, removing the wire from the water temp switch and the oil pressure switch one at a time and running the boat will tell you if that's the problem.

You can have normal readings on the oil pressure and water temperature gauges which are fed from sending units that are different pieces of equipment from the switches so the indications can look and be right, but a defective switch will put you into limp mode.

It's quick and easy to check and maybe you'll find the problem is one of the switches or at least it will let you rule them out as a cause.

link

The pressure seems to be lower than it should its something between 40-50 i think need to check that also tomorrow. I saw the switch is available at nautiqueparts.com
Maybe there is also not enough oil but i checked it should be ok. Maybe put in a bit more and the pressure gets a bit better.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Basler Basler wrote:

Maybe there is also not enough oil but i checked it should be ok. Maybe put in a bit more and the pressure gets a bit better.

If you show oil on the dip stick, you are most likely good.You would need to be almost completely out of oil so the oil pickup in the pan sucks air for the pressure to drop. Adding more oil will not affect the pressure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 5:10pm
When my GT40 went into limp mode 5 years ago it did not run smoothly. It was very rough.
I got back to the dock with it stuttering and without enough power to get up on plane with an empty boat, only 2 people on board.   It sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders.

Good advice on this forum had me replace both the Coolant and Oil Pressure sending units and the boat has never stumbled since. The boat was 19 years old so it did not bother me to replace them as maintenance. It seems to me there are 2 coolant sensors?
I also replaced the Thermostat at this time. One of these cured my issue but I don't know which as I did them all at once wanting to get back on the water.
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 5:11pm
Hmm... so maybe the oil switch is defective and gives the wrong signal?
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 5:14pm

When my GT40 went into limp mode 5 years ago it did not run smoothly. It was very rough.
I got back to the dock with it stuttering and without enough power to get up on plane with an empty boat, only 2 people on board.   It sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders.

Good advice on this forum had me replace both the Coolant and Oil Pressure sending units and the boat has never stumbled since. The boat was 19 years old so it did not bother me to replace them as maintenance. It seems to me there are 2 coolant sensors?

I also replaced the Thermostat at this time. One of these cured my issue but I don't know which as I did them all at once wanting to get back on the water.

The engine runs really smooth and also got enough power but over 2800rpm it stucks. Thanks for your feedback hope can solve the problem soon.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2019 at 10:23pm
If it runs smooth and just won't accelerate it does not sound like a Limp Home issue.
At least not the same as my experience. Mine ran terrible, sounded terrible, like I said I think it was running on 4 cylinders, check engine light was on.

Get a fuel pressure gauge on it and rule that out. It cost zero to check. If your pressure is off you can start zeroing in on the reason why.
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 4:59am
The engine light does not light up. But its impossible to go over 2800RPM everytime i try goes back to about 2600 and everything is going fine till 2800 and if i go above the same problem repeats. I go on the river in a few hours and will try to disconnect the temp and oil switch. Lets see what happens πŸ˜… where can i connect the fuel pressure gauge?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 9:08am

The engine light does not light up. But its impossible to go over 2800RPM everytime i try goes back to about 2600 and everything is going fine till 2800 and if i go above the same problem repeats. I go on the river in a few hours and will try to disconnect the temp and oil switch. Lets see what happens πŸ˜… where can i connect the fuel pressure gauge?

It can be confusing trying to decide what wires to disconnect but it will be a tan/black wire for the oil pressure switch and it will also be a tan/black wire for the water temperature switch.

Different color means you're disconnecting the wrong wire   

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 9:27am

where can i connect the fuel pressure gauge?

There's a test connection at the front of the fuel rail usually referred to as a Schrader valve.

You need a test rig with the right adapter to screw on to the Schrader valve.

The valve resembles an oversized valve stem on a car tire, bike tire etc..

Like MrMcD said, "it costs zero to check" unless you have to buy the test rig, then the cost goes up some    But it's a handy tool to have
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 1:25pm
My '93 Pro Boss carbed motor went into limp mode last summer.
Talked to Vince at SkiDim and he said either bad Pro Tec specific oil sender, water temp sender or spark plug wires would cause it to go into limp mode.
Changed all three and it did solve the problem. It was about a $100 fix for all three.
Running good so far.
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 2:20pm
Checked now with the wire disconnection. I disconnected both water temp and oil pressure switch. It runs over 2800rpm when i accelerate in neutral now. Looks like i need to replace the oil pressure switch by the way i will change also the temp switch just to be sure its all good. When i disconnected the oil pressure switch, the gauge in the cockpit still shows the psi information. Is it possible that the gauge gets separate psi informations?

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 2:31pm
If I remember correctly the oil pressure switch affecting the computer is basically a dummy light switch, it comes on if you are below 10 PSI, maybe 7 PSI like the idiot light in cars.

Separately I believe there is a Oil Pressure sending unit, I think that one is mounted close to the Oil Filter.
Odd, we both have a 1995 and your Limp mode is different than my limp mode.
Glad you got results.
Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 4:25pm

Checked now with the wire disconnection. I disconnected both water temp and oil pressure switch. It runs over 2800rpm when i accelerate in neutral now. Looks like i need to replace the oil pressure switch by the way i will change also the temp switch just to be sure its all good. When i disconnected the oil pressure switch, the gauge in the cockpit still shows the psi information. Is it possible that the gauge gets separate psi informations?

Here's a picture courtesy of Lewy

He has the switch that puts you into limp (SLOW) mode circled in yellow. That switch has only one function in life......to tell the computer to put the engine into limp mode if it thinks oil pressure is less than 5 PSI.(and the computer puts the engine in limp mode and turns on the check engine light unless it's burned out)

Right next to it in the picture with the light blue wire hooked to it is the oil pressure sending unit whose only function is life is to feed a signal to the pressure gauge on the dash.

Two totally different pieces of equipment, they both sense from the same point with a tee in the line.

If the switch goes bad, it'll put you in limp mode even though oil pressure is normal.

You should see normal pressure on the dash gauge before cruisin' around with the switch disconnected

Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 4:55pm

Here's a picture courtesy of Lewy

He has the switch that puts you into limp (SLOW) mode circled in yellow. That switch has only one function in life......to tell the computer to put the engine into limp mode if it thinks oil pressure is less than 5 PSI.(and the computer puts the engine in limp mode and turns on the check engine light unless it's burned out)

Right next to it in the picture with the light blue wire hooked to it is the oil pressure sending unit whose only function is life is to feed a signal to the pressure gauge on the dash.

Two totally different pieces of equipment, they both sense from the same point with a tee in the line.

If the switch goes bad, it'll put you in limp mode even though oil pressure is normal.

You should see normal pressure on the dash gauge before cruisin' around with the switch disconnected

We were in the harbor to test it with neutral so we had the security that nothing could happen even the engine turns of πŸ˜…πŸ‘ the picture is perfect to see the location i wondered why there is a light blue cable near the switch, now i understand why πŸ™ŒπŸ˜Š hope nautiqueparts will ship those switches soon to switzerland πŸ˜€ cant wait to get wakeboarding this season. Thank you for this post. Its a great community in here and that helps mich for a newbie like me 😊
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 5:07pm
If the boat runs good with the switch or switches disconnected and your gauge readings are normal, I'd use the boat just like you always have while the parts are on order.

Before the Protec engines and the GT40's came along the engines
didn't have this "additional protection" feature

Some people might call it a nuisance that causes more problems than it prevents especially if you pay some attention to the gauges
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 7:27pm
If you use the boat with the oil switch wire disconnected make sure it doesn't touch anything that could give it a short to ground or it will go back into limp mode.   There is always voltage present on that wire when the key is on. Normally the switch closes and shorts the wire to ground when a fault (low pressure) is detected.

Also, I am just curious but does your engine start quicker with the oil pressure switch disconnected?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 7:36pm
This may be a silly question Basler, but would the engine act up in neutral before you disconnected the wires or was it only under load ?

The reason I ask is because in neutral you can rev an engine real easily with very little fuel demand and maybe you think the problem is solved and then when you get on the water you could have the same issue show up.

If you don't know the answer to the first question, I'd try reving it up in neutral with the wires connected again and see what happens.

I'd hate for you to think it's all figured out and then find out it's really a fuel supply issue when you run it under load
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 10:20pm
No the engine starts the same way like its connected. We connected the sensor agsin and waiting for parts till they arrive we drive with 2800RPM this is kind of ok for cruising around πŸ˜…
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 10:24pm

This may be a silly question Basler, but would the engine act up in neutral before you disconnected the wires or was it only under load ?

The reason I ask is because in neutral you can rev an engine real easily with very little fuel demand and maybe you think the problem is solved and then when you get on the water you could have the same issue show up.

If you don't know the answer to the first question, I'd try reving it up in neutral with the wires connected again and see what happens.

I'd hate for you to think it's all figured out and then find out it's really a fuel supply issue when you run it under load

The problem shows also in neutral we did reconnect the sensor and also in neutral it stucks on 2800 when disconnected 3000RPM there is no issue with the rpm limitation. Im sure the sensor is defective. Yes would be hard this would not be the solution but with this im sure (hope) this will work with a new one πŸ˜…
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2019 at 11:58pm
Sounds like the switch is the problem, just wanted to verify what you did.

By the way, your English is much better than I could speak any of those 4 official languages of Switzerland
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2019 at 5:29am

Sounds like the switch is the problem, just wanted to verify what you did.

By the way, your English is much better than I could speak any of those 4 official languages of Switzerland

Google is my friend but yeah i almost only speak swissgerman, a bit french and can understand 1% italian πŸ˜…πŸ™Œ 70% are talking swiss german here
Basler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2019 at 10:25am
We did now disconnected both, water temp switch and oil pressure switch. Now we can get in plane mode and everything works fine and the engine runs smooth. But we are not sure about the psi pressure, it seems that there is a bit too low maybe.

We made the whole electronics new for all gauges and switches and have now about 3 meters longer cables maybe this is why we lost a bit of signal and the gauge does not exactly shown what it meassures?

You think thats possible?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2019 at 10:36am
You don't say whether that oil pressure is with cold oil or warm oil or what speed the engine is running, but that pressure is good and nothing to really worry about especially if it's warm oil and you're on plane at cruising speed.

Whatever difference you see could be due to differences between the new gauges vs old gauges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic