Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter Solenoids Keep Blowing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tranner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Solenoids Keep Blowing
    Posted: June-11-2004 at 6:06pm
That is amazing advice. Will do, thank you.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 2:50pm
Make sure you have good clean grounds and that includes the bracket that you are mounting the relay to as well. Then to make sure you have things wired correctly leave off the cable that goes to the starter. Wire it up so that the one wire goes to the S post and the 10 gauge wire to circuit breaker and positive battery cable go to one side of the relay. Then hit the key and you should hear it click then click again when you release the key. if you don't it's not wired correctly so switch the battery cable and 10 ga. wire to the other post on the relay and listen for the clicks again. Once you hear it click on and click off you have everything wired correctly and you can connect the start cable. But be sure to leave the cable to the starter off until you have it wire right, if you don't and it is wired wrong you will weld the contacts together on the relay and have to junk it.
Tranner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 1:28pm
I have an 85 SN 2001. For some reason, I keep blowing the starter solenoids. I've gone through six of them in the last 2 days and all have had the same result.

I try to crank the engine over, but have to hold the keep for longer than normal because the engine timing is off so it doesn't start right away (that's the least of my worries right now). But after about 5 seconds of holding the key to the start position, I let go of the key but the starter solenoid gets stuck or something and the starter itself continues to crank until I remove the battery cable.

I've taken every other wire off of the solenoids and it still does the same thing. Soon as I go and put the cable back on the battery, the starter automatically does it's thing.

Hope I made sense in this ramble and desperate attempt to get some advice.

If it helps, the motor is a recently rebuilt 351W Reverse. I also just put a new Edelbrock Performer intake mani on there. The Starter Solenoids in question are mounted onto a bracket that mounts to the top of the intake manifold.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic