NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2019 at 10:37am
Another question. Cranked up motor after getting water out of gas and adding new filters and lines, now my Tach isn't working.
I have a wiring diagram for the 83 is it the same for the79?
Suggestions..
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 12:02pm
Anyone on here ??? I'll try another question. Could someone take me a closeup picture of the decals on the rear sides; I want to try and make my own decals. Most I see on sight are not straight on or big enough to work with. Save as jpegs..
Thanks
JT

Got new graphics on yesterday after I took a razor blade and peeled/sliced all that bad paint job off. Looking like a 79 should look.
Will post some pics when it quits raining...
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2019 at 8:07pm
Update:
New Graphics

New Interior

Showing old paint comes off with razor blade
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2019 at 8:46pm
Looks great. Love that vintage SN.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2019 at 8:50pm
Wow. I went back in thread you have done a lot. It’s summer Most folks are busy playing
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2019 at 9:12pm
Thanks,
Still waiting on my 83 to come home from fiberglas guy. It might be next year, so I got this one to cruise in...
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2019 at 11:37pm
Here's some help.   The top two rows are not my boat so I can't attest to 100% original, but the front seats are the right style (unsure about the piping) and sure looks nice..   The lower row is my interior (sad I know).   I dont have rips, so going to give the SEM treatment a go... for a season at least. Anyone used that product?     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzlJac7yFOg.    Reupholstery & re-carpet down the line once mechanical is situated.

Here's the pics - hope it helps:)
'79 Skitique - first boat
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 11:53am
Having electric fuel pump problem. Any diagrams on how it should be wired?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Having electric fuel pump problem. Any diagrams on how it should be wired?

John,
Why the electric pump? Put the mechanical back on the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 12:04pm
PO took mechanical off and put electric on. Had worked till yesterday now nothing.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 12:40pm
If I do go to the mechanical type is it the same type as the automotive or something special?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 1:12pm

If I do go to the mechanical type is it the same type as the automotive or something special?

John,
They are marine specific You do not want to use an automotive. Skidim was just an easy find. I know you will get better suggestions on where to purchase the pump. If you do go back to the mechanical, don't forget to follow the USCG specs on fuel lines. Since the PO installed the electric, I highly suspect he didn't!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 1:46pm
While I'm with Pete that there's no reason to not be using a mechanical fuel pump, you still can do some simple troubleshooting on the electric to see why it was working fine and now isn't working. Is there power to it? Can you feel it running? If so, make sure you have fuel flowing to it, don't have a gummed up anti-siphon valve or bad fuel pickup in the tank. If it isn't running see if you have power to the pump and if not go back in the wiring to find out the problem.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 2:14pm
The PO gave me a box of parts and stuff he had collected and low and behold there is a fuel pump in there will have to check it out...
Will update when I get it cleaned up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 2:21pm

The PO gave me a box of parts and stuff he had collected and low and behold there is a fuel pump in there .

How about the original fuel line from the pump to the carb? It's most likely steel with inverted flare ends.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The PO gave me a box of parts and stuff he had collected and low and behold there is a fuel pump in there .

How about the original fuel line from the pump to the carb? It's most likely steel with inverted flare ends.

No fuel line and the one on the motor now is rubber. I saw one on the Skidm page so will get or just make another one.

Thanks
JT
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 5:22pm
This the fuel pump
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 8:06pm

This the fuel pump

That looks like one of the older Carter pumps that you can rebuild if it doesn't work when you try it.

Take a picture of the other side of the pump and/or a picture looking directly into the pump cavity where the arm pivots and it'll be easy to tell
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 8:32pm
I took it apart but the auto store doesn't carry a rebuild kit. Gonna check Skidm.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 8:50pm

I took it apart but the auto store doesn't carry a rebuild kit. Gonna check Skidm.

John,
You have a tendency to look in the wrong places!

Then and now automotive

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
You have a tendency to look in the wrong places!

Then and now automotive

Wow thanks will bookmark
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 4:07am
The metal tag on that fuel pump will have the Carter Part Number on it.
It may also be molded into the fuel pump housing.
It will start with an M   Like: M6354 or M60426 for example.
M just stood for Mechanical in Carter pumps.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 9:11pm
Quick question on battery cable. Will 2 ga. be ok for a 6-7' positive and 5-6' negative??
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 10:29pm
That'll work, it came with 2 gauge.

Maybe Pete will throw up one of those cable sizing charts with no explanation about round trip distances etc.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 10:58pm
PO had 6 ga and it melted, and the #1 boat has 1 ga but I can only find 2 ga
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 11:00pm
So an 11-13 ft. run of cable. While 2 gauge would handle it, why not go with 1 gauge "just because". It never hurts to upsize cable, unless you have to snake it through a small space or tight corners.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 11:04pm
Didn't see your post before I posted mine. 6 gauge is nuts. I was able to buy some heavy gauge battery cable at an auto supply house, the kind that has truck parts and batteries. I used some 1/0 in a diesel pickup, I'm sure they had 1 gauge as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2019 at 11:16pm
2 will do it 1/0 is better.

Cable source

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 12:26am
Any Heavy Duty Truck shop keeps bulk heavy battery cable in stock and can cut to length for you.   By Heavy Duty I mean, Kenworth, Peterbilt or Freightliner not GM Ford or Dodge.
They sell the connectors that bolt to this size cable also.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2019 at 12:21pm
Any welding supply store will carry welding cable in bulk. Just tell them what size you want. Should have the ends also. Much more flexible than other wires too.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
  Share Topic