Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member with a 68 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 9:36pm
Pretty sure 351R stands for RACE MOTOR.

Here’s the tag. It’s a 351W. I think the R means either reverse rotation, right hand rotation, or rebuilt. The supplier is out of business and I don’t have paperwork, so who knows.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

Just picked up this 1968 Mustang yesterday. It was repowered with a 351R at some point in the 70s.

Nice looking boat but that engine is a mystery for sure, since Ford never made anything called a 351R.

You most likely have a 351W.

Maybe the R was somebody's way of trying to tell you it's it's reverse rotation.

Somebody is bound to come along and ask if it's reverse rotation and a bunch of other engine questions

Some engine pictures would be good

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 6:11pm
There are 2 different stops on a #2 that I can think of my avatar has the upright ones. I have the measurements, I will find them and post later.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 6:00pm
In addition to your above plan, I would disconnect battery.

The rest of the stuff (like alignment, repacking gland, RWP impeller) can be done in the spring.

For bow stop, I would copy a CC trailer #2 design.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 4:54pm
Welcome to CCfan and yes, congratulations on picking up that Mustang.

There really isn't a specific list for the Mustang. Treat it just lick you would with any other inboard of the era. I would suggest checking the engine/shaft/strut alignment as well as the condition of the stringers.

In the reference section there's a PCM engine manual that should be close to the 351 you have. The layup section may be beneficial to look at.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 4:39pm
Congratulations, She is a beauty.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 4:17pm

zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2018 at 4:10pm
Just picked up this 1968 Mustang yesterday. It was repowered with a 351R at some point in the 70s. Got new gelcoat three years back and appears to be in pretty solid shape, just needing some tinkering. It’s pretty quick with the 351.

Unfortunately our boating season in New England is coming to an end. I will winterize and shrink wrap the mustang soon. What would you all suggest for a punch list of Mustang-specific maintenance items? I already plan to properly winterize the motor and change the oil in the engine and trans.

The trailer is missing the forward stop - I don’t plan to tow it any distance until I figure out a replacement. Any suggestions? The V-frame design isn’t compatible with a modern winch tower.

This is replacing my 2001 13’ Whaler and will life on a lake in NH. My dad previously had a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter LXi, so I’m happy to be back in an inboard boat.

Foolishly I forgot to write down the hull number. Can an original build sheet be pulled for these boats?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic