NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First time to pull the prop, how to?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time to pull the prop, how to?
    Posted: August-17-2006 at 5:34pm
Silly question. How do I hold the prop shaft still to get the castle nut off?

Thanks.

P.S.
I'm trying to do this in the next 20 min.
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 5:57pm
The castle nut should not be so tight that it does not loosen with one hand holding prop and other turning wrench. However if it was your best bet would be to use a impact gun. Use caution and don't tighten nut even further. If you don't have an impact you may be able to grab the shaft coupler with a strap wrench or if all else fails wedge a pry bar in-between the bolts on the coupler against a block of wood. This option may squish the threads on the SS bolts and also may move alignment?? Just something to think about before hand.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 6:09pm
Thanks, Got it! For the record, the edge of the prop is pretty sharp and if you are pulling hard enough on the wrench and hanging on to the prop and it lets loose suddenly, you might not want to have your forearm in the way, its good to have a quality bandages around.

For future reference, I will wrap the prop in a towel folded several times to protect from sharp edges.
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 6:38pm
Yes, I always wear welding gloves. Sorry I forgot that part!!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 7:47pm
hell just use and impact wrench to pull it off no need to hold it that way, but tighten it by hand when going back together, forget who can tell you how fun it is to remove the next time if you do.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 8:24pm
I don't remember mine being very tight. It has a cotter pin running through the shaft and the castle nut. But the prop "works" its way up the shaft and is always stuck on there.
Tim D
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 8:35pm
The castle nut wasn't really on that tight, just stuck a bit. However having never done it, I didn't know that it was only supposed to be snugged on, that's why I asked. The scar on my forearm will remind me to do it the smart way from now on.

Thanks for the replies.

Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic