Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cam and intake

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
coreytread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cam and intake
    Posted: August-16-2006 at 6:13pm
ok once again my 77 ski is in the shop due to a stump. My insurance company gave me 3k, there are some scratches and a hairline crack under the stern of the boat. Im not going to fix the scratches until the winter and I intend on doing it my self, So with the extra cash im going to buy a cam and intake. Right now I have a stock 351 with electronic ignition installed and gt40 heads. what intake will fit under the engine box without height being an issue. what cam do i buy and where do i get it. I have only used lunati cams in the past, I really dont know of other brands. Thanks for any advice.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 6:28pm
I bought a Clevite cam. Tall intake manifolds are for top end performance, not bottom end.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:01pm
for the money get a performance products intake off of ebay. It's a reproduction of edlebrock's design basicly at a fraction of the cost with a crossover water passage the edlebrock doesn't have. I'll be getting a chrome version from them when my heads are done another thing you cann't get from edlebrock either. I use a comp camscam like a coule of others it's custom ground because of the reverse rotation, others have used the clevette and someone else found a pretty good source as well I believe it was Tim that did, TBJial or something like that. just don't get too crazy unless you know exactly what the lift rate of your valve springs are otherwise you'll be fixing the heads. Get a high output coil as well be carefull with the blaster II on the mallory dist they say it will burn it up, the resistance is mismatched for the electronics. I use tha mallory pro series marine verson paul has an automotive version of the same coil on is 62. Your going to have to re-jet the carb once the cam is in to so that you don't lean it out and burn a valve but it's pretty easy to change jets think you'll need 72's.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:15pm
intake satin finish

a polished version runns about 175 a chrome version runs just over 200.

a cast edlebrock performer runs a little under 180@summit and for that price you can get the polished performance products.

coreytread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:21pm
Thanks 79 Im getting excited about this. Im about to order the intake tonight. will it fit under my engine box with the stock plate and flame arrestor?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:13pm
shouldn't be an issue, I believe there is a inch or two of clearance depending on the arrestor you have.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:39pm
Actually ReidP told me where to get the Clevite. He's still alive, just sent him 4 emblems.
Tim D
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 2:14am
I have a weiand stealth on mine and it works good.It was 175 from POWERED BY FORD in orlando(407)843-3673 add the ARP manifoid bolts $32 they look hot.I have about 1" of clearance.the intake is good from 1500 to 6000rpm.did you ever think about a set of roller rockers they can give you about 15 or 20 more HP?
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 2:49am
A mallory active power filter(maa-29351)will keep you cooking your distributor its $36.88 from SUMMIT.I use the high-vibration blaster coil by MSD, together they put out a hell of a spark     
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 8:29am
You were close, 79- at least you remembered my real name!

I have a Weiand Stealth intake that I am happy with ($190 from Summit). I have read its a better midrange intake than the Edelbrock Performer- I actually bought both and chose to install the Stealth. The prop slip coming out of the hole acts like a torque converter on a car, making real low end torque less important than some people think (I get an instant 3200RPM). The Stealth is about an inch taller than the Performer though, which is already 1.5" taller than stock. Better check your clearance before you decide on a manifold.

I installed a cam from Cam Research and have been happy with my results. They only do Ford cams and they are familiar with ski boats- they really impressed me with their knowledge. I almost bought a Comp Cam but after talking with these guys I purchased from them on the spot. Their prices are reasonable as well. The only drawback is that they dont have any reverse rotation blanks. Not sure if they can grind one if you can source the blank, but I would give them a call and see what they say.
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2006 at 7:48pm
TRBenj...send me a private message as I have a question about your intake manifold. If no private e-mail then my e-mail address is jsmith2@ev1.net

Thanks!

82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 12:54pm
Question?

Is the bolt torque on a Alluminum intake the same as a stock cast intake? I think PCM list 32 lbs for intake manifolds.

Just want to be sure.

Thanks for the help
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 3:46pm
it should be listed on the instructions but no 25 ft-lbs is what we torque johns too.
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 5:48pm
Thanks for the help, I will set @ 25#
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2007 at 7:50pm
If you guys like Crane cams, look in the cam section of the Summit catalog and search for Summit cams. I found out that they are made by Crane and are usually much cheaper because people think they are some off brand. If you ask them who makes the Summit line they wont tell you and i happen to no a inside sales guy who works there plus on the installation book you can see a crane box in one of the illustrations. I havnt had any problems with thier cams
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic