Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barefootin’ advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barefootin’ advice
    Posted: August-12-2006 at 5:20pm
Have the boat and the boom now I need a little advice on the process.

I haven't tried footin' in 20yrs. I am familiar with stepping off a ski. I guess my question is whats the best course of action in using the boom?

Any advice or if someone would point me in a direction to get more info would be much appreiciated..d   
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
The Boat - 80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 5:25pm
I second that notion...we got a boom with the boat purchase...but barefooting is one thing we haven't tried. We have wetsuits...and a crazy enough mindset to do it...just haven't spent the time to figure out how.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 6:29pm
Easiest way to learn nowadays is to sit on a wakeboard or kneeboard and slowly stand up. A surfboard-shaped wakeboard is easier since its longer- you'll bounce a bit at higher speeds on a kneeeboard.

Bring the person out of the water slowly to about 10-15 mph, making sure theyre comfortable. When ready, progressively bring it up to footing speed (30-35 on the boom). The footer should plant their feet very slowly, keeping their knees bent and establishing a good 3-point stance before standing up (again, very slowly). The board will eventually wash away.

The boom should be at a comfortable height, and make sure you have some nice calm water when youre first learning. Good luck!
backdeep1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backdeep1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 6:34pm
The boom is the best and safest way to start to learn how to foot.
There are a number of ways to do boom starts. First grab teh boom directly with a step off ski and let the boat get up to speed, set one foot in water bend your knee, shift weight to the foot in the water drop ski and foot away.
Second use a wake board with no bindings and grab the boom directly while laying on the board, let the boat get to speed and bend your knees and stand up let the board fall away and your footin.
Third. Grab the boom and lay on your stomachlet the boat get up to about 15 or till your sac says its time to turn over then pull your knees to your chest and pull your feet to the front, ride on your but bend your knees and set them gently in hte water and foot away.
As you master the boom grab attach a barefoot handle directly to the boom and repet the above.
Oh Yeah keep your toes up.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 7:25pm
I think we'll try the wakeboard start...is there a way you keep it from sliding out while initially getting up to speed...like take off? I haven't tried...but the picture in my head makes me think I'll be holding onto the boom with one hand and the wakeboard with the other.

What position are you sitting in on the wakeboard...On your knees? On butt with feet on the board as well?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 7:46pm
You'll want to sit on the wakeboard with your legs spread wide and your feet just out of the water. You should be able to balance on the board while sitting in the water. You'll want to lean back and keep your feet out of the water as the boat starts to pull you- once youre on plane its pretty easy to control.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 9:24pm
TRBenj, I remember trying to stand up from the wake board, and not to successfully I might add. That was behind the boat maybe the boom would lend more bounce control.

Backdeep1, welcome to the ccf!!
You killed me with your third suggestion, still laughing!

Okay, I'm liking the step off ski. I read somewhere that a good boom height would be where you could lay over it. To me it seems as though a good way to loose a tooth. Any suggestions on how to set the boom height and other thoughts. Thanks d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 10:37pm
The boom should be around shoulder height to give you some upwards pull.

I learned to barefoot by swinging myself around on the boom, and then longline by stepping off a ski- I promise you that the wakeboard is easier! It allows you to transfer your weight to your feet slowly, while keeping your center of balance very low. If you are bouncing on the wakeboard, you need to move your weight forward. Like backdeep mentioned, remove the bindings if necessary.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 11:05pm
I've never stood up off a board. Always done the backdeep #3 way. I thought it was easy too--off the boom.

If you don't have a barefoot suit, I highly recommend getting one. Those pads will make a huge difference. My brothers and I used to get bruised up so bad when we were learning. Somebody got me in a barefoot suit--I'd never try it again without one.

jbear, barefooting messes up the mullet real fast.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2006 at 11:10pm
Dude; I was just thinking of saying that to you and your post popped up! Great minds think alike!
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2006 at 1:04pm
Thanks for all the input.

Shoulder height boom and a wetsuit, I'm on it!

Now I gotta get some clear weather and free time.

Looked at the Hobbs the other day and realized how little I've actually spent skiing this year. A whopping 14 hrs since June, summers about over gotta make some waves! d
Danny

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 8:46am
Take a look through here footersedge, read it all and buy the instructional DVD. You will be barefooting safely in no time.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 9:51am
Certainly get a real barefoot suit and fling the stepoff ski, thats ancient tech and downright dangerous. A boom and an experienced footer is all you need; the foundation is learning the 3-pount glide. Barefooting well is also 50% driver.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 2:04pm
I use a combination of all of the techniques above.

1st. If you are using a correct craft with a 2001 hull or older you are going to need a boom with an extension to get out of the spray.

2nd. I don't agree that the boom is the safest way to learn how to barefoot at first. You really need to know what you are doing on the boom before you just jump out there and try it.

3rd. Let go. You are not a hero for holding on and banging yourself up. If you feel akward on the boom or on the line, let go and figure out what the problem is.

I usually start people out on an old wakeboard that I coverd with neoprene. The neoprene makes the board stick to the barefoot suit and if you decide to fall on it, it will hurt less. I also put people on a shorter rope behind the boat (30'-50' or so). The short rope makes it easier to get outside of the wake and also puts you in a nice spot with smooth water.

I have people put their feet in at 20 and then take them up to speed. If there is anything that I see wrong I just stop. No 30+ mph falls this way. Most of the position errors can be fixed before they even get up to barefoot speed.

After a few pulls on the rope I put people on the boom to tune them up. You just have to make sure they do not ski on the boom a lot or they will become dependant on it.

Have fun.

Tim

jeffinohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 10:19pm
one of the best things i ever did when barefooting was to attach a neck brace to my vest. after a few hard face plants you'll be glad you did!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 10:43pm
Hmmm...interesting. It seems the only things I have are a wetsuit, boom, spare wakeboard and the willingness to take a couple rough tumbles. No one in the boat will have any experience except what I've learned in the this post. I'll think we'll be waiting until the cooler temps to try...too hot for the wetsuit right now.

Just playing around while we slalom, we'll bump the boat up to 31ish and we take our back foot out and basically ride one in the ski, the other barefooting. It's a long way from barefooting...but gives an idea of how it feels on your foot.

For the stance: I've seen video and pictures...basically keep your weight back, legs bent...similar to doing a heelslide on the wakeboard?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 4:10am
I wouldnt concentrate on keeping your weight back- you dont want to dig your heels in. Just keep your knees bent, like youre sitting in a chair. With the boom giving a nice steady upward pull, you'll get the hang of it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 7:54am
If you don't have someone to help teach you get an instructional DVD and learn how to do it without all the crashes otherwise please forward the address to where we can send flowers during your recovery.

See my post above for all the help you need.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 9:01am
k...we'll see. Going to have to wait till the end of the season...no sense in taking myself out of commission with a few good months left.

Thanks for the help and the links!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 9:05am
The Boat-80,

Where are you from?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 10:58am
Actually, not all that far from you...about 130 miles to your West. Colona, IL...a "burb" of the Quad Cities if you will.

We usually run on the Rock River in Moline. Always glass, few boats...but getting dangerously low...so hard to stay away from it though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 12:36pm
Here's what you do then, follow this thread and hook up with us mid september and you will be barefooting in one afternoon or I ain't the Magicman Fall Midwest Mini-reunion
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 1:24pm
Sounds like a plan...I've been watching that thread and will let you guys know if I'll be joining. I travel outside IL 100% for work and usually get home only every other weekend. It's no fun to be away from the boat...but we've still managed to put on 50 hours, even being down for repairs in July.

If I'm home the weekend will combine two of my passions...camping and boating...so I'll be there...

Thanks!
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 8:06pm
Thanks TRBenj and Backdeep1!!

I am pleased to tell you that we had two successful runs each this morning using the boom and the kneeboard. We'd have done more if it didn't get rough so quick!!

I will say it took a few tries getting the board to cooperate, but I am amazed at the ease of the combo once you get the feel!!

Boat-80, go for it man!!

Thanks for all the input. Ready for round two!
d
Danny

backdeep1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backdeep1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:10pm
duffnit-

Congrates! the hardest part of footin is to find good water. Glad to here you have made a couple. A good investment if you are serious bout footin is a good pair of shoe skis. Scarpa.com or Barefootcentral.com has some good stuff. Also after you get the boom start down don't be afraid to try it out back where it is true footin. Again use the board start and get in the curl just outside the wake, pull up to slow cruising speed set your feet in and let the boat pull you up. Bend your knees like you are sitting on a stool. chest out back straight.
The next step is to try a boom deep water start. nothin like walkin down to th elake with your barefoot suit and a rope.
Starp your 5' handle around th eboom. Lay in the water with your feet over the rope (some use one foot on rope others both feet over rope) Let the boat pull you up to 12-14 mph sit up into a 90 degree bend boat excelerates set your feet in (similar to the board sart) get a good three point stanct and let the boat pull you up.

Good luck Let us know how you progress.
backdeep1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backdeep1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 7:16pm
Do you have a skylon or tower? It really helps to get a good upward pull when you are behind the boat. It simulates the upward pull from the boom. I like to set up my boom and my skylon as I learn a trick at the boom I move the rope to the skylon and try it out back. The pull from the skylon helps a ton.
Pretty soon we will have you riding backwards.

Good luck! Keep your toes up!
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 10:07pm
Thanks backdeep1.

I figure I'd get a few boom runs down to get a little more comfortable before I went long-line. I am all for trying it though.

Don't have a tower, have thought about some type of Skylon or other.
Does the skylon slip over or clamp to the pylon? I'm just guessing but I'd think having it clamp to the pylon would work better with the boom. Is a clamped on extension as solid as a slip over? We had one (Flight Pipe)that slipped over the pylon and strapped around the bow on the 96 SN, but sold it with the boat. It was pretty solid.
Much to consider, but in the meantime hoping to get out thursday eve and make another few runs. d
Danny

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 11:35pm
I used to do quite a bit of footing....deep water and beach starts...we just started using a boom this week and there is not much to it. Driving speed helps...we get the boom pretty high by getting weight to the opposite side, drag on our tummies/thighs and pull the legs in and around ...when the boat reaches 20mph or less swing around a stick the feet down...as soon as the feet start plaining we crank the speed to about 35...at that point the skier can put almost all wieght down and rely less on pulling up. also as the speed incleases , we shift weight in the boat to center to bring the boom height down to chest hight.Even one foot stuff becomes easy!

It's pretty darned fun!!!!

Tommorow my boy's want to try the long line and kick a ski....face plant city!!!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 9:44am
Yes Stang the boom is much easier.

I guess the true barefooter does not need ergonomic accessaries to enjoy the experience, but I'm willing to crawl before I walk. d
Danny

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 1:16pm
I really like the boom...my body can't take the falls at 40 mph...the boom allows me the chance to stll feel the water at my feet and not blow a knee out!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic