NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shallow Water Warning System?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shallow Water Warning System?
    Posted: August-09-2006 at 3:38pm
Is there a product on the market that not only detects your current depth, but warns of on-coming rocks or shallow spots? If so, where do I find such a device? Can they mount on ski boats? I would love to buy one, cost not a factor!

Ken
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 3:52pm
The depth finder on my pontoon boat has an audible alarm that you can set according to the draft you need.....as far as approaching shallow spots are concerned you'd probably need some kind of sonar/ digital display   
Life is Good.
CCxHYPERLITEx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 3:53pm
bingo....http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=27627&fcat=2L2B
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 4:10pm
Depthfinders don't give you any foresight when cruising along faster than idle. By the time it picks up a shallow depth you'll already be stopped.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 4:23pm
Thanks for your input, Will.

Yes, I'm looking for more of an advanced warning device. It's probably thousands of dollars, or $100 at a US Navy garage sale. The depthfinder wouldn't be a bad start.

Ken
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 10:25pm
Ken what about the Hummingbird Keith has listed in the "Featured Products" page?

Apparently accurate to 70 mph, with an audible shallow alarm. I've actually thought of purchasing one myself. I will say that other than Keith's review I haven't heard anything good bad or indifferent about it's performance.

BTW, glad you and your wife didn't suffer any serious injuries during your rock riding experience!! Looks like the Nauti faired pretty well considering. All things considered, could have been much worse. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 11:00pm
Hey Ken,

Not to make light of you misfortune, but . . .

I use a shallow water warning sytem that works pretty good for me, and it's free. I try never to drive my boat where I haven't seen some one else drive it first Still not fool proof, but pretty good. BKH

Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 8:01am
Ken,
I've got one of those Hummingbirds and they work Ok but it would never work as an early warning system. I rely on it mostly when I'm putting around checking out my surroundings but there's no way it could detect shallow water and give you a warning in time if you're pulling a skier at 30mph.

I use mine in a dredged river to let me know when I'm still in the channel. We ski outside the channel closer to shore to get out of traffic areas and that's when I pay close attention to it. Usually in 5-6 ' of water, if I was to come up on a wing dam(Submerged rock jetty) my tracking fins would detect it before the depthfinder. I pay close attention to where everyone else is running and I will probably be learning the river for many years to come.

I think you just had some bad luck in unfamiliar waters last week Ken, that could happen to any one of us.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2006 at 8:21am
Ken, The device you are looking for is a GPS chart plotter. IT will display your position transposed on a NOAA nautical chart. Not very practical for a ski boat. However I have one on the cuddy with a digital memory card of Lake Erie that is awsome.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic