Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1985 2001 with 454 - dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Ian Ian wrote:

Just as I suspected. Motor is shot. Who's got a recommendation on a place to order a new one?

What did you find?

#4 piston destroyed #4 cylinder, piston rings jammed into the walls and head... Connecting assumed broken - I can hear it flopping around when I turn it over. Unknown damage to rotating assembly, that's just what I found in the R bank... haven't checked L side yet. But it's enough to know it's DOA.

Gonna order a new one, with electric ignition, and all the new fancy toys I guess..
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

The Spark plug looks like an impact hit. Is there a fractured cylinder in the block?
Rod out the side of the block?   It may be able to be repaired even if you need to put a sleeve in one cylinder, a sleeve is a 100% repair if done by a quality shop.

True. I don't know the extent of the internal damage, but it appears to be beyond rebuildable.
'85 2001 454
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2018 at 2:04am
Sorry to hear the bad news Ian, but I had figured as much when you said in your opening paragraph that you heard an 'awful noise'.   In my experience that is never a quick, easy or inexpensive fix.

On the bright side, now you can chose new power, get it set up the way you want it with as much power as you want and know that she'll have a very long life thereafter       ( I know of what I speak )
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2018 at 9:58am

I don't visit saltwater... well not anymore, now that I'm in Colorado.

But Colorado is strict to limit ANS in clean lakes, so boats have to get decontaminated when moving between bodies of water.. and the freshwater system makes the decon process much easier for the Park Rangers to perform, and quicker for me as a consumer.

Ian,
I know many states are going all out with the cleaning process to go after the invasives. Wisconsin has only gotten to the point of using pressure washers for the externals but no internal flushing yet. Hopefully they will get to that point. I'm curious on the process. How do they do it? Where do they make connections and how does fresh water cooling make it easier? "ear muffs" and fake-a-lakes?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2018 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Sorry to hear the bad news Ian, but I had figured as much when you said in your opening paragraph that you heard an 'awful noise'.   In my experience that is never a quick, easy or inexpensive fix.

On the bright side, now you can chose new power, get it set up the way you want it with as much power as you want and know that she'll have a very long life thereafter       ( I know of what I speak )

Yep, I've already gotten over the cost of a new motor. Now I'm on to the excitement of having a new engine!
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2018 at 9:43pm

I don't visit saltwater... well not anymore, now that I'm in Colorado.

But Colorado is strict to limit ANS in clean lakes, so boats have to get decontaminated when moving between bodies of water.. and the freshwater system makes the decon process much easier for the Park Rangers to perform, and quicker for me as a consumer.

Ian,
I know many states are going all out with the cleaning process to go after the invasives. Wisconsin has only gotten to the point of using pressure washers for the externals but no internal flushing yet. Hopefully they will get to that point. I'm curious on the process. How do they do it? Where do they make connections and how does fresh water cooling make it easier? "ear muffs" and fake-a-lakes?

It's 2 minutes at 140*F. So they hook up a fake-a-lake, or whatever adapter works for your boat, then flush until the temp of the water exiting the exhaust is a minimum of 140*F then they flush for 2 minutes, then it's done. Same for ballast, anchor, etc.. The fresh water cooling means they don't have to climb under the boat and try to put the plunger onto the intake... They can just reach over the side, flush out the intake and then the engine - all thru the fresh water strainer.

I don't know if sea water cooled boats also have that, as my previous X-star, X-2, and X-9 all had closed loop cooling.
'85 2001 454
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2018 at 10:04pm

The fresh water cooling means they don't have to climb under the boat and try to put the plunger onto the intake... They can just reach over the side, flush out the intake and then the engine - all thru the fresh water strainer. .

Somethings not adding up. Both fresh water cooling (closed cooling) and raw water (sea water) cooling have thru hull water pick ups in the bottom of their hulls.

Do you have a flushing connection on the suction side of the RWP?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

The short pylon seems odd, for a barefoot special

Did a “barefoot special” exist? I’ve seen several listed as such and assumed they were just misguided owners not realizing that the 454 was optional on the 2001. I know you’ve told us about the LH HO 454’s that were offered (dealer installed?) in BFN’s and SN’s during the 80’s... are these the same thing, or a different animal? Curious what distinguished them from regular models.

In effort to simplify my inquiry, Tim it appears I mistakenly validated the term barefoot special, perpetuating the rural legend. ugh

I can only add that three 2001 boats with the HO I've had seat at ski (feet) time in, one an '83, one and 84, and one an 85, each had the tall pylon from the BF, so it caught my eye.

Upon talking to an original buyer, one had to have some street cred for them to build one, a history of supporting the sport responsibly, and buyers understanding the usage and limitations. as it appears they knew it was a ride too wild for general availability. and resultant monkeyshines in all but the better conditions.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 12:21am

The fresh water cooling means they don't have to climb under the boat and try to put the plunger onto the intake... They can just reach over the side, flush out the intake and then the engine - all thru the fresh water strainer. .

Somethings not adding up. Both fresh water cooling (closed cooling) and raw water (sea water) cooling have thru hull water pick ups in the bottom of their hulls.

Yeah. There is a flushing access port in the boat. it gives access to the cooling system, and then able to flush out the thru hull water pick up, (when not running).
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 2:58am

It's possible that raw water cooled engines have an internal connection too, but I've never owned a raw water cooled boat before.
'85 2001 454
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 7:46am

It's possible that raw water cooled engines have an internal connection too, but I've never owned a raw water cooled boat before.

Ian,
Flushing connections such as the infamous CCfan "Timmy T" designed by Tim, are an add on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 7:12pm
New engine on order from Michigan Motorz.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 7:35pm
Also, found the problem

'85 2001 454
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 12:06am

... On the bright side, now you can chose new power, get it set up the way you want it with as much power as you want and know that she'll have a very long life thereafter       ( I know of what I speak )

Yep, I've already gotten over the cost of a new motor. Now I'm on to the excitement of having a new engine!

Deja Vu .... Been there myself, very recently!      My machine shop was 6 weeks backlogged but is finally caught up to my build and is working on it now. They should be done sometime next week!    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 12:11am

Also, found the problem

Wow, don't think I've ever seen that before. Sure explains it all.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 12:07pm

Wow, don't think I've ever seen that before. Sure explains it all.

So weird to me. I've never seen a camshaft blow up like that!
'85 2001 454
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 12:59pm
Friend always says "nothing in moderation" your engine goes along with this.   If you are going to break it then blow it apart.
Good news is that you get a new engine in what appears to be a pretty nice boat.   
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 3:07pm
If my eyes are seeing your picture well it looks like a visible broken camshaft?
If the cam is broke you have bigger problems underneath.   Usually a broken rod comes around and breaks the camshaft like that.
If the crankshaft took an impact shock from the broken rod the odds are it will have cracks also. Good thing you ordered a new engine.   With big damage the old engine may not qualify for a full core credit if your new motor was purchased with an exchange agreement.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 4:41pm

If my eyes are seeing your picture well it looks like a visible broken camshaft?
If the cam is broke you have bigger problems underneath.   Usually a broken rod comes around and breaks the camshaft like that.
If the crankshaft took an impact shock from the broken rod the odds are it will have cracks also. Good thing you ordered a new engine.   With big damage the old engine may not qualify for a full core credit if your new motor was purchased with an exchange agreement.

Yeah, #4 rod snapped.
$500 core charge, I don't know for sure if this will qualify for core return.. I haven't pulled the bottom end yet, but with all of the coolant in the oil pan it likely has too much damage.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2018 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

Friend always says "nothing in moderation" your engine goes along with this.   If you are going to break it then blow it apart.
Good news is that you get a new engine in what appears to be a pretty nice boat.   

Thanks man! I think it's a pretty nice boat, and new engine will make it that much nicer!

'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 7:19pm
She's in pre-op now. Surgery will happen next week. She's getting a new heart!

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2018 at 3:56pm
You should get at least a partial credit. The heads should be good.
They will keep most of the $500 core credit but in reality you are giving them back one messed up engine.
In the failure you have most often a rod bearing has gone out and locks that rod to the crankshaft, since it can no longer rotate the power of the other 7 cylinders pushing it snaps the bad rod and the remaining part swings around at engine speed hits the camshaft and punches holes in the cylinder wall.   A huge amount of damage done very quickly.   I have also seen similar damage when a piston pin locks in the piston. Same issue the rod can no longer rotate so it snaps and the damage starts.   Piston pin lock is usually caused by abnormal cylinder temps. Lean burn or timing.   The rod bearing failure is most often oil starvation which is usually seen at the rod farthest from the oil pump, #1 rod.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2018 at 9:38pm

You should get at least a partial credit. The heads should be good.
They will keep most of the $500 core credit but in reality you are giving them back one messed up engine.
In the failure you have most often a rod bearing has gone out and locks that rod to the crankshaft, since it can no longer rotate the power of the other 7 cylinders pushing it snaps the bad rod and the remaining part swings around at engine speed hits the camshaft and punches holes in the cylinder wall.   A huge amount of damage done very quickly.   I have also seen similar damage when a piston pin locks in the piston. Same issue the rod can no longer rotate so it snaps and the damage starts.   Piston pin lock is usually caused by abnormal cylinder temps. Lean burn or timing.   The rod bearing failure is most often oil starvation which is usually seen at the rod farthest from the oil pump, #1 rod.

I just moved the boat from sea level to 6k feet.. so if anything it should be running rich..

But the longer I think about this, the more I question if I checked the oil before I ran it..

Either way, the engine is shot, and a new one is on order!
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 11:02pm
Well the shop around here screwed up and took 3 damn weeks to order the engine after I paid them for it.....   

But new engine is here now, and boat is in the shop. About to have a new powerplant!
'85 2001 454
StuW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2018 at 2:41pm

Also, found the problem

Looks like factory big oval port heads? Do you know if your new motor will have those too?
1982 Barefoot Nautique
PCM 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2018 at 1:37pm
Yeah, the new engine also has the oval ports.

We made sure to check casting numbers on block and heads before we ordered it.

New engine is in, will be back on the water tomorrow!

Any sparkplug recommendations? The ones in the old engine were Champion RV8C
'85 2001 454
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2018 at 6:28pm
I have run Champion for years with no issues.

If this engine still has a flat tappet camshaft, ( not a roller can engine ) make sure to follow the start up procedure to break in the new cam.
As soon as possible on start up it needs to be brought up to 1,500 to 2,300 RPM and kept above 1,500 for the first 20 minutes of run time. Failure to do this results in camshaft failure.
Some engine suppliers will run the engine to do this before selling the engine. Most do not.
A high quality oil is also necessary. The Diesel oils available from Delo and Rotella are cheap but have the right ZDDP to help with your break in.

On start up quickly check for oil and coolant leaks and get it spinning above 1,500 RPM.   Verify your timing is really close to proper setting.
Plan ahead make sure you have a way to keep it cool in this break in period.
The goal here is to get the lifters spinning as the engine is running. Once the lifters break into your camshaft it is good for life normally.

Enjoy your new toy, I hope it has lots of power.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 12:11am
Bought new plugs this morning. The parts store didn't have champion, so I ended up with Autolite. I've heard the AC Delco ones just don't make the 454 very happy.
'85 2001 454
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 1:03am
I've heard some people like Ginger, some like Mary Ann and some like Gilligan

Same thing with spark plugs as oil, oil filters etc..........everybody has a favorite
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 1:20am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I've heard some people like Ginger, some like Mary Ann and some like Gilligan

Same thing with spark plugs as oil, oil filters etc..........everybody has a favorite

as long as you're not screaming "DON'T USE THOSE PLUGS", then I think I'll be ok
'85 2001 454
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic