NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique Redesign - 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 4:24pm
Growing up in Orlando, CC country, about every house on the Conway Chain had a Nautique hanging in the boathouse.   Very few were used all the time, most just hung there.   Fast forward to lake Conway today.   People who live on this lake for the most part can afford the 100k sticker price and hang it in the boathouse with little use. Not sure however how many are still willing to do it though.   
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 4:12pm
Remember those boats very well! But, kind of surprised you mention a V8, I thought they had less HP than that, the outdrives at that time couldn't handle a whole lot of power.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 3:12pm
When I was a kid growing up on Twin Lakes, Iowa, our neighbors had an Evinrude Explorer powered by a Buick V8.. It was not the prettiest boat on the lake but it was a real workhorse. Seems the styling was decades ahead of its time!

-Phil
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 11:58pm
Good point on inflation of old school resale prices.

One could probably buy a used SN & scrap it at the end of each season & still be ahead of the depreciation curve on those high end boats.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 9:49pm
No-wood boats are pretty cost effective to keep alive, almost indefinitely. Upholstery, wear items like cables, an occasional gauge or wiring update, and then eventually a rebuild or replacement engine. All are chump change compared to a new boat, or even a 5 year old boat. Unlike a car where the metal parts have a finite life (in our salt heavy area of New England anyway) the boat itself should last a VERY long time if we want it too.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I wonder if us keeping our old-glass shiny helps new-SN sales or hurts it?

I think it's the other way around:

The never-ending escalation of new Nautique prices helps the value* of shiny old-glass Nautiques...

*(making them more worthy of preservation, etc.)
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

I’d like to see one in basic white AND open bow. Where’s the dang open bow?

I'm not necessarily a big open bow fan for Ski Nautiques, but it is kind of interesting that they are not offering that right now, with the bow area being so wide and "G" like. I wonder if the open bow is something that might come later.

Edit: Just to add, if I was spending major money on a new(er) boat, I would definitely be looking at open bows mainly, because the wife seems to appreciate them.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:20pm
I'm guessing many high end boat purchases are driven by ego more than functionality.

I wonder if us keeping our old-glass shiny helps new-SN sales or hurts it?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:15pm
Initially I recoiled at the Oragami-Nautique but it'll probably grow on me. My "radical" 200 with "progressive" stripes looks legitimately classic after today.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:04pm
As time goes on I'm sure the styling will grow on you,right now it's a shock and perhaps a reason they chose those colors. Different schemes and maybe more deck matched sea deck will help. If your going to buy one I'm sure someone on PN will help with your fabric selections and color choice options.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 6:45pm
I am going back to jumping this year...Age 60!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I was out on a job a while back and got talking to someone. Boats and skiing came up. He said he was a wakeboarder at one time but he's kind of old for it now, so he has quit. I asked him how old he was. He was 36.

36 is too old for wakeboarding I agree with him - after 35 one should concentrate on barefooting, slalom, trick, and hydrofoil. Most are harder than wakeboarding but none have beaten me up like wakeboarding. Maybe once a year now I will wakeboard with ballast and if I survive the session without adding to my repetitive brain injury total then I end up with knees that are swollen and killing me for a week .

Absolutely, basically everyone I knew that was a pretty serious wakeboarder has had knee/shoulder/back/ankle surgeries. Not worth it. Barefooting hurts sometimes for a short amount of time but otherwise is pretty easy on the body with all of the thrills.

Just dive into the water at 25 mph with a 4x8 strapped to your feet. Yay, you're wakeboard crashing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I was out on a job a while back and got talking to someone. Boats and skiing came up. He said he was a wakeboarder at one time but he's kind of old for it now, so he has quit. I asked him how old he was. He was 36.

36 is too old for wakeboarding I agree with him - after 35 one should concentrate on barefooting, slalom, trick, and hydrofoil. Most are harder than wakeboarding but none have beaten me up like wakeboarding. Maybe once a year now I will wakeboard with ballast and if I survive the session without adding to my repetitive brain injury total then I end up with knees that are swollen and killing me for a week .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:56pm
I was out on a job a while back and got talking to someone. Boats and skiing came up. He said he was a wakeboarder at one time but he's kind of old for it now, so he has quit. I asked him how old he was. He was 36. Ridiculous. I'm 63. Here is the essence of my last outing - just a week ago.

tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

No need to quit skiing, get that diet going. I'm 71 and ski 6 sets/week. Will be skiing the 2019 Ski Nautique in the next couple weeks.

I love reading things like this. I'm 43, and hope to be skiing for a long time.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:49pm
No need to quit skiing, get that diet going. I'm 71 and ski 6 sets/week. Will be skiing the 2019 Ski Nautique in the next couple weeks.
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:11pm
At a cuddly 6'5'' and 250 lbs I will on skiing on Radar Butterknife sooner than 67 years old if the nutrisystem program I started yesterday doesn't kick in soon.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Wisky Badger Wisky Badger wrote:

For most recreational/freeskiers that ski 5 to 20 times a year the awesome wake really isn't worth the price.   Most of us will have just as much fun behind a used 2001, 196, prostar 190, and malibu response.

No question, you are right about that. What I think you may be missing is it's more about the boat than the wake to many people, at least once you are at a 196 level wake that is just so outstanding. Skiing in a 16' American Skier was a blast but not on board people and gear friendly. 2001's seemed to have a huge amount of room when they came along, every iteration gets better at storage and passenger comfort and general layout. From looking at the wide beam and layout of the new Ski it would be incredibly comfortable on the water, which does matter to a lot of people.

Quote so I can buy a used in 30 years when I am 67 and can no longer ski.

No longer ski? No reason to ever stop, especially with skis available to make it easier on the body once you are ready for that.
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 3:08pm
It would be cool if they would stretch the hull another foot, open the bow and bring back the family style direct drives like the nautique 206, sport nautique. mastercraft 209, malibu sunsetter lxi and BRING THE COST DOWN.

I realize the industry will never do that.   They definitely are not marketing to someone like myself who wants a boat that is easy to tow with a midsized SUV, wants room for the average sized family and doesn't want to surf.   It is either a tournament ski machine or heavy ass surf boat.   

With 100K I could buy a nice used Ski Nautique 206 install new carpet, vinyl, and do engine maintenance.   Then I could go buy a new snowmobile, new Husqvarna 701 enduro, new ATV and still take my wife to Hawaii on vacation.   

For most recreational/freeskiers that ski 5 to 20 times a year the awesome wake really isn't worth the price.   Most of us will have just as much fun behind a used 2001, 196, prostar 190, and malibu response. I am from the school of paying cash for your toys.   If you can't pay cash for a toy or at least pay it off in a year or two you probably don't need it. Boat payments are not fun to make in the winter time in the midwest. Hopefully someone will purchase some of these so I can buy a used in 30 years when I am 67 and can no longer ski. I will post the restoration on CorrectCraftFan.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 3:03pm
The deception of "what can you afford per month" is the American way now, which is awful. I hate it and think it is a way for the rich to get richer while people happily enslave themselves in debt.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 2:28pm
[It's not about what something costs; it's how can I afford it monthly. Boom.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!! That's it. I see it all the time with people I work/deal with regarding all kinds of things. I've looked at fishing boats online, and sometimes it's hard to find the price of the boat. They let you know what the monthly payment is though. I see a commercial all the time from a local boat dealer selling pontoon boats. They only show how much it costs per month. Then tell me they have the lowest priced boats around. I bet they do.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 2:06pm
Seadek is on practically every type of boat now.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 1:16pm
Wondering if Nautique has also purchased SEADEK ?????,seems they got a good buy for the amount used on the new Ski Nautique !!!!!!
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 1:11pm
You guys are missing the point - $100,000 at 30 years at 4.5% = very affordable, $507.00 per month for 30 years - and only $82,000 in interest in 30 yrs.

When my 78 yr-old father was buying a motor coach, they tried to talk him into 30-year financing and told him to let the estate worry about the final costs. Nice, huh?

It's not about what something costs; it's how can I afford it monthly. Boom.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

It's not for everybody but neither was the original 200 when it came out Certainly not conventional but modern, functionality is paramount in that type of boat.. The walk through video with Adam W. really helps.

I agree the functionality and layout is second to none. Adam did a great job on the presentation.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:43pm
Not that I looked up any data, but I think you'd find that it's only 20% of the households that make 200000 would make 400,000. It's quite a curve as the income rises.
philthy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:37pm
I just took a look at some Census data and for the 126 million households in the US, about 9% make over $200k. If just less than half of those make $400k, that's somewhere around 5-6 million potential buyers.

I've always said there are a lot of rich people in America. I just wish I knew how to be one.

Troy Wiora
Senior Test Pilot
- www.AbusiveMotorSports.com</a>

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,all-spc-your-spc-base.png[
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:30pm
BTW - Looking at a GS20 last year, the dealer offered financing was for a 30-year loan........ very affordable!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Or my good buddies Steve and Val can get one in blue and white (grey seadeck) and keep it in really good shape and sell it to me after 25 years.

I'll talk to the boss and put in your order ...........
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

As a responsible consumer what % of your annual income should be spent on a recreational toy like this, 25% -50% or more if financed perhaps?? Me thinks 25% which put's you at 400k annual income as a buyer, that's a lot of dough!!

!

I think the rule of thumb last time I was pushing boats at a show was 25-33% depending on credit score - I am sure things maybe a bit more free wheeling these days. I just have to find a girl that makes a ton of money, marry her and convince her she likes waterskiing and could care less about houses, shoes, cars, and clothes.

Or my good buddies Steve and Val can get one in blue and white (grey seadeck) and keep it in really good shape and sell it to me after 25 years.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic