Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42592
Printed Date: April-26-2024 at 2:10am

Topic: Ski Nautique Redesign - 2019
Posted By: quinner
Subject: Ski Nautique Redesign - 2019
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 10:49am
In case you did not hear, Correct Craft introduced a newly designed Ski Nautique today.
Engineering wise - looks phenomenal, Price wise - ouch - six figures for a ski boat
Looks wise - funky Malibuesque w/Master craft stern, 3D looking hull is strange, hate the windshield. Wake wise - looks fantastic

https://www.nautique.com/models/ski-nautique" rel="nofollow - https://www.nautique.com/models/ski-nautique

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:02am
I have noticed this on some G boats and I understand it's your choice but I am not a fan of the bottom paint look. Other than that,a 100k + for a deprecating asset that can be used part of the year .......
I also see where the guy who designed the Pontiac Aztek ended up,glad to see he found work

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:16am
Looks like the color scheme was picked out by a 4 yo.

I hope they sell well.

Lots of money out there looking for a toy.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:18am
I’m sure it skis great.

Design wise, there are a few nice touches and a few overdue fixes relative to the 200.

Looks/size/weight wise, there’s not much to like. It looks overdesigned. The readers of this website are clearly not the target market though. Hopefully they’ll take the CP in the opposite direction (light/small/simple) now that it is under cc ownership.

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:26am
I was really bummed out that the Wake Tractor was so ugly that it was in a class by itself.

I see CC hired the WT design team and it's now a class of 2

Edit maybe Gary's Aztec guy helped out too.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:41am
Typical CC. Late to the ugly party but they get there eventually.

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:47am
At what point do us CCFans take the step of fixing up those "old school" Ski Nautique 200's from back in the early 20-teens now???

So ugly I can't believe it. I'm sure it is an amazing boat in terms of wake and function and features, but I just don't think the market was looking for that kind of design. Who knows. Then again like many things it will probably grow on me over time.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I also see where the guy who designed the Pontiac Aztek ended up,glad to see he found work

Gary, thanks for my morning laugh! You hit that perfectly, all angles and no rhyme or reason to them.

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:53am
I noticed they added 3" to the beam, 98" vs. 95" on the 200 (looked at 2015 specs). Beamy slalom boat, and in general a wide 20 footer!

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:59am
seadeck overload for me,

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 12:05pm
I just think it is pretty awesome they are continuing to put time money and advertising into a 3 event boat. Does it look as good as a 196 to me, nope but there are plenty of 196s out there to buy.   The windshield is ugly but I like the integration with the bimini and I like the side access.   I have to assume there is some color combination that is available that isn’t quite so fugly as the white front, black back nonsense..

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: shierh
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 12:10pm
They added a screen bottom to it as well, coated with Flex-seal.   

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 12:22pm
Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm old school. But I do understand progress and improved performance and functionality. But can not performance and functionality be put in a decent looking package as well.

Pick one.

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I just think it is pretty awesome they are continuing to put time money and advertising into a 3 event boat. .

Totally have to agree with that

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 12:30pm
Ugly windshield and what Alan said on the sea deck

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 12:31pm
Im guessing the photo is of the disguise paint scheme. Hard to tell what it actually looks like. Possibly it doesn't look that bad.   
They are going after younger market that doesn't care about traditional lines in a boat.   
Sort of like going From an older hatteras to a carver or any of the other Clorox bottle designs. ( for some of you, look at a Clorox bottle on its side with handle up and then look at many of the larger boat designs.   its pretty funny.

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Pick one.

]

I can tell you which one I would rather ski behind, or definitely to teach waterskiing classes with.   If I am not skiing behind it or pulling people behind it then for sure pull out a classic. I agree the sea deck is fugly as heck but seriously looking at that interior made me think how awesome a summer camp waterskiing boat it would be for climbing in and out and around on full of kids and gear even the ugly walk through and deck pathway.   Unfortunately I don't know how any summer camps can afford one but man what a tool for the job.   

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 12:48pm
[QUOTE=shierhThey are going after younger market that doesn't care about traditional lines in a boat]

Yea, kinda matches Tide Pods

-------------
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 12:56pm
Well hopefully that is the mac daddy upgraded paint scheme and you can get a normal one that doesn't look like this with far less seadeck. Put it on floor and platform only

I was wanting to put seadeck on my gunnels behind the grab rail to the rear of the cockpit as a boarding step in place of the original small one but now I am not sure it will look good.

Posted By: MourningWood
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

They are going after younger market that doesn't care about traditional lines in a boat.   

Or maybe the 'younger market's' dead rich uncle's estate.

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 1:37pm

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm old school. But I do understand progress and improved performance and functionality. But can not performance and functionality be put in a decent looking package as well.

Larry's preferred cell phone:

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 1:40pm
My "bag phone" is outside in my Ford Fairmont. Tho I am thinking of finally upgrading. Any body have one of these that can give me a review.

-------------

Posted By: rebel skier
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 1:56pm
Shape of the stern reminds me of a Tige. The big 3 bows now all resemble each other to me.

I am glad to see innovation and commitment to a slalom tug.

I watched the longer video on their website. The ski turning around the buoy to the ski crossing the wake ratio was like a 25:1. What gives, show us wake crossings.

-------------
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!

Posted By: Lakeview
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 3:27pm
With the amount of 2012 thru this model year Nautiques for sale on the used market,I don't get it from a marketing view point-the mid-west and northeast boating season being 3 months if Mother Nature cooperates; how do you justify that cost for a boat????
I'll keep my old original Correct Craft's,they do what I want and are paid for-just my $.02.
For those that can afford $100K +, go for it.

-------------
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 3:51pm
Jim, it's pretty clear now a decade plus into the wake boat era that there's enough buyers out there to scoop up the over $100,000 boats offered by the top manufacturers. My neighbor at the lake had a 2000 Super Air in good condition, sold it last year and bought a GS-22, had to be $115,000 or so. And he might stretch the season to 4 1/2 months, but your point is still taken, that's a big toy for the limited use it gets. But, go on any lake in our area and you'll see a bunch of high priced hardware on any given weekend day.

-------------

Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 3:53pm
Amazed at the thought, design, engineering and results of this boat. This is why we all love Correct Crafts, right? Best design, best running, best skiing machines. I can't wait to see one in person and see some other color ideas. The walk through video just keeps giving. All the things I deal with when skiing were touched on - even pulling the plug under that hot engine at the end of the day. Fascinating that they finally moved the fuel tank to a spot where a full tank of gas does not impact the performance so much. Wow. Mind blown.

Not that I can afford one. Back to keeping my '93 beautiful and running strong!

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 4:02pm
Notice how high and flat it rides.   like to see what it looks like around running gear.   

Some boats, my experience with larger craft, are hard to control when they ride too flat.

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

I watched the longer video on their website. The ski turning around the buoy to the ski crossing the wake ratio was like a 25:1. What gives, show us wake crossings.

Here's barely any wake TO cross. It looks like they got that part right.
This was a separate video about the micro-tuner doo-dads that fill in the trough some how:
https://youtu.be/vSjLKZ0UV8E" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/vSjLKZ0UV8E

Posted By: rebel skier
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 4:37pm
Thanks for that youtube video. Wow!   

-------------
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!

Posted By: DVskier
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 6:04pm
In my opinion the wake looks non existent, Maybe the answer for me shortening the rope, it will have to be at a tournament as I'm not in the market for a new boat. I'm looking forward to skiing one in a couple of weeks though.
The key with the electronics is dump it before the 5 year warranty expires. Also the Sea Deck doesn't hold up as well as gelcoat.

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 7:20pm
I'd buy one, but I can't ski anymore, shucks

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 8:48pm
Couple observations:

Looks like fuel tank in front

and, @ 2:06 in video,
boat looks wider than course,
looks like it can be pulled off course/off keel.

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 9:04pm
Nautiques track like a train. Rock solid in the course, most AWSA rated drivers really like to drive the 200. Doubt the changed the tracking. The wake is incredible.

Posted By: tryathlete
Date Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:47pm
I’d like to see one in basic white AND open bow. Where’s the dang open bow?

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 2:24am
So I think the verdict here is that it's ugly but probably has the best wake ever and a lot of creature comforts.   Well, leave it to a youngster on the site to point out the vast majority of those submitting the "ugly" are the very ones that have old school, and very old school Nautiques. Kinda hard to go with new age stuff when you're brought up with the classics and it takes a certain type of person that will always just go with the current flow.   That's usually not me. Though I "flow" a little at times, I do like classic lines.   Well, my version of classic. It's different with everyone.   
I bought my first boat when I was a young adult with very small kids.   It was brand new and I loved the lines and so forth.   I would look at the old "classics" from the late 60's into the 80's and didn't really care for them that much.   And now looking at all the new designs everyone seems to be copying, I'm not real thrilled about them either. But as I said, it's different for everyone. All the young adults with small kids are probably looking at all the new Nautiques and thinking "where can I get $150k for one of those!!"

Food for thought    

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:57am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Food for thought    

My food for thought is it's damn ugly!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 10:10am
I'm a young guy and that thing is BARF. Yes, the wake looks great and I am sure the touch screen/camera is "cool"?

There is nothing clean or shapely about the design, it's just lots of shapes slammed onto a hull. Seadek is very functional and pretty sometimes but this is over done. The motor box that pulls up some of the floor seems like a good idea. Otherwise it has an ugly but functional windshield, a lower rear step over, higher freeboard for who knows why on a slalom boat? Fuel tank forward seems like a good idea (I would have incorporated a rear trunk instead of a lower step over). 200 stern was plenty easy to step over.

In the Indiana market 200 buyers complained enough about the price of a base model 200 and rarely bought new usually going to a promo boat that didn't even come from a dealer.

I just don't see how there is any room in the market to sell more than a few of these a year. Good luck anyways.

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 10:42am
After watching the videos last night I'm going to go against the grain and say I actually like the look. I think it will grow on people especially if they are looking for a serious 3 event boat. It's not for everybody but neither was the original 200 when it came out Certainly not conventional but modern, functionality is paramount in that type of boat.. The walk through video with Adam W. really helps. As for the Technology, we'll be going on our 6th season with our 200 and I still absolutely love our Linc system, couldn't imagine the same boat in analogue. Still don't care for all that Seadeck though, it doesn't last forever and that will cost a small fortune to replace.

As for the geometric shapes to it, I didn't like the latest iteration of the Corvette either until I actually sat in one and drove it.   It felt right looking the way it did.

To Gary's comment, who knew the guy that designed the Aztek was so far ahead of his time, He just peaked a little too early and yes I did own an Aztek. I never realized how hip I am until now!

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 11:03am
I feel the same as Alan. After riding and driving in a GS20, I very much appreciate the layout, driver's seat design and functionality of the design concept. What a comfortable and functional 20 ft boat! That GS20 hull was NOT set up for slalom, however - no place to store slalom skis and the model we skied didn't even have a ski pylon NOT mounted on the tower. But for the Ski Nautique, I'm sure it's amazing in and behind.

The Seadek is excessive, but for those of us who have redone PWCs, the modular appliques make restorations easy and keep the boat VERY functional.

There are only a couple ways for a company to stay alive today - small and niche or large and volume. The ski boat market is dropping to a tiny piece of what it was. Nautique is moving in a direction to ensure it's financial survival - I totally get it.

I would love to have one (or ski well enough to warrant getting one).... but I'd have to sell all my boats and 2 of my cars. I'm going to have to wait until it's over 10 years old, like the rest of my boats!

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 11:52am
As a responsible consumer what % of your annual income should be spent on a recreational toy like this, 25% -50% or more if financed perhaps?? Me thinks 25% which put's you at 400k annual income as a buyer, that's a lot of dough!!

No question looks aside boat is absolutely amazing, the use of every inch of cavernous space is pretty cool. Never been a fan of Seadek, dealer wants $300 to do just the platform on my 206, looking at this boat you would be looking at thousands of dollars one would imagine to replace the pieces that will likely wear out after what, 10yrs??
Time to replace the skins and Seadek, that will be $10k please, DOH!!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

As a responsible consumer what % of your annual income should be spent on a recreational toy like this, 25% -50% or more if financed perhaps?? Me thinks 25% which put's you at 400k annual income as a buyer, that's a lot of dough!!

!

I think the rule of thumb last time I was pushing boats at a show was 25-33% depending on credit score - I am sure things maybe a bit more free wheeling these days. I just have to find a girl that makes a ton of money, marry her and convince her she likes waterskiing and could care less about houses, shoes, cars, and clothes.

Or my good buddies Steve and Val can get one in blue and white (grey seadeck) and keep it in really good shape and sell it to me after 25 years.

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:28pm

Or my good buddies Steve and Val can get one in blue and white (grey seadeck) and keep it in really good shape and sell it to me after 25 years.

I'll talk to the boss and put in your order ...........

-------------
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:30pm
BTW - Looking at a GS20 last year, the dealer offered financing was for a 30-year loan........ very affordable!

-------------
78 SkiTiq

Posted By: philthy
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:37pm
I just took a look at some Census data and for the 126 million households in the US, about 9% make over $200k. If just less than half of those make $400k, that's somewhere around 5-6 million potential buyers.

I've always said there are a lot of rich people in America. I just wish I knew how to be one.

-------------
Troy Wiora
Senior Test Pilot
- www.AbusiveMotorSports.com</a>

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,all-spc-your-spc-base.png[

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:43pm
Not that I looked up any data, but I think you'd find that it's only 20% of the households that make 200000 would make 400,000. It's quite a curve as the income rises.

-------------

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

It's not for everybody but neither was the original 200 when it came out Certainly not conventional but modern, functionality is paramount in that type of boat.. The walk through video with Adam W. really helps.

I agree the functionality and layout is second to none. Adam did a great job on the presentation.

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 1:11pm
You guys are missing the point - $100,000 at 30 years at 4.5% = very affordable, $507.00 per month for 30 years - and only $82,000 in interest in 30 yrs.

When my 78 yr-old father was buying a motor coach, they tried to talk him into 30-year financing and told him to let the estate worry about the final costs. Nice, huh?

It's not about what something costs; it's how can I afford it monthly. Boom.

-------------
78 SkiTiq

Posted By: Lakeview
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 1:16pm
Wondering if Nautique has also purchased SEADEK ?????,seems they got a good buy for the amount used on the new Ski Nautique !!!!!!

-------------
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 2:06pm
Seadek is on practically every type of boat now.

Posted By: tjs1295
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 2:28pm
[It's not about what something costs; it's how can I afford it monthly. Boom.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!! That's it. I see it all the time with people I work/deal with regarding all kinds of things. I've looked at fishing boats online, and sometimes it's hard to find the price of the boat. They let you know what the monthly payment is though. I see a commercial all the time from a local boat dealer selling pontoon boats. They only show how much it costs per month. Then tell me they have the lowest priced boats around. I bet they do.

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 3:03pm
The deception of "what can you afford per month" is the American way now, which is awful. I hate it and think it is a way for the rich to get richer while people happily enslave themselves in debt.

-------------

Posted By: Wisky Badger
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 3:08pm
It would be cool if they would stretch the hull another foot, open the bow and bring back the family style direct drives like the nautique 206, sport nautique. mastercraft 209, malibu sunsetter lxi and BRING THE COST DOWN.

I realize the industry will never do that.   They definitely are not marketing to someone like myself who wants a boat that is easy to tow with a midsized SUV, wants room for the average sized family and doesn't want to surf.   It is either a tournament ski machine or heavy ass surf boat.   

With 100K I could buy a nice used Ski Nautique 206 install new carpet, vinyl, and do engine maintenance.   Then I could go buy a new snowmobile, new Husqvarna 701 enduro, new ATV and still take my wife to Hawaii on vacation.   

For most recreational/freeskiers that ski 5 to 20 times a year the awesome wake really isn't worth the price.   Most of us will have just as much fun behind a used 2001, 196, prostar 190, and malibu response. I am from the school of paying cash for your toys.   If you can't pay cash for a toy or at least pay it off in a year or two you probably don't need it. Boat payments are not fun to make in the winter time in the midwest. Hopefully someone will purchase some of these so I can buy a used in 30 years when I am 67 and can no longer ski. I will post the restoration on CorrectCraftFan.

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Wisky Badger Wisky Badger wrote:

For most recreational/freeskiers that ski 5 to 20 times a year the awesome wake really isn't worth the price.   Most of us will have just as much fun behind a used 2001, 196, prostar 190, and malibu response.

No question, you are right about that. What I think you may be missing is it's more about the boat than the wake to many people, at least once you are at a 196 level wake that is just so outstanding. Skiing in a 16' American Skier was a blast but not on board people and gear friendly. 2001's seemed to have a huge amount of room when they came along, every iteration gets better at storage and passenger comfort and general layout. From looking at the wide beam and layout of the new Ski it would be incredibly comfortable on the water, which does matter to a lot of people.

Quote so I can buy a used in 30 years when I am 67 and can no longer ski.

No longer ski? No reason to ever stop, especially with skis available to make it easier on the body once you are ready for that.

-------------

Posted By: Wisky Badger
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:11pm
At a cuddly 6'5'' and 250 lbs I will on skiing on Radar Butterknife sooner than 67 years old if the nutrisystem program I started yesterday doesn't kick in soon.

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:49pm
No need to quit skiing, get that diet going. I'm 71 and ski 6 sets/week. Will be skiing the 2019 Ski Nautique in the next couple weeks.

Posted By: tjs1295
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

No need to quit skiing, get that diet going. I'm 71 and ski 6 sets/week. Will be skiing the 2019 Ski Nautique in the next couple weeks.

I love reading things like this. I'm 43, and hope to be skiing for a long time.

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:56pm
I was out on a job a while back and got talking to someone. Boats and skiing came up. He said he was a wakeboarder at one time but he's kind of old for it now, so he has quit. I asked him how old he was. He was 36. Ridiculous. I'm 63. Here is the essence of my last outing - just a week ago.

-------------

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 5:11pm

I was out on a job a while back and got talking to someone. Boats and skiing came up. He said he was a wakeboarder at one time but he's kind of old for it now, so he has quit. I asked him how old he was. He was 36.

36 is too old for wakeboarding I agree with him - after 35 one should concentrate on barefooting, slalom, trick, and hydrofoil. Most are harder than wakeboarding but none have beaten me up like wakeboarding. Maybe once a year now I will wakeboard with ballast and if I survive the session without adding to my repetitive brain injury total then I end up with knees that are swollen and killing me for a week .

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 6:35pm

I was out on a job a while back and got talking to someone. Boats and skiing came up. He said he was a wakeboarder at one time but he's kind of old for it now, so he has quit. I asked him how old he was. He was 36.

36 is too old for wakeboarding I agree with him - after 35 one should concentrate on barefooting, slalom, trick, and hydrofoil. Most are harder than wakeboarding but none have beaten me up like wakeboarding. Maybe once a year now I will wakeboard with ballast and if I survive the session without adding to my repetitive brain injury total then I end up with knees that are swollen and killing me for a week .

Absolutely, basically everyone I knew that was a pretty serious wakeboarder has had knee/shoulder/back/ankle surgeries. Not worth it. Barefooting hurts sometimes for a short amount of time but otherwise is pretty easy on the body with all of the thrills.

Just dive into the water at 25 mph with a 4x8 strapped to your feet. Yay, you're wakeboard crashing.

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 6:45pm
I am going back to jumping this year...Age 60!

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:04pm
As time goes on I'm sure the styling will grow on you,right now it's a shock and perhaps a reason they chose those colors. Different schemes and maybe more deck matched sea deck will help. If your going to buy one I'm sure someone on PN will help with your fabric selections and color choice options.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:15pm
Initially I recoiled at the Oragami-Nautique but it'll probably grow on me. My "radical" 200 with "progressive" stripes looks legitimately classic after today.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:20pm
I'm guessing many high end boat purchases are driven by ego more than functionality.

I wonder if us keeping our old-glass shiny helps new-SN sales or hurts it?

-------------

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

I’d like to see one in basic white AND open bow. Where’s the dang open bow?

I'm not necessarily a big open bow fan for Ski Nautiques, but it is kind of interesting that they are not offering that right now, with the bow area being so wide and "G" like. I wonder if the open bow is something that might come later.

Edit: Just to add, if I was spending major money on a new(er) boat, I would definitely be looking at open bows mainly, because the wife seems to appreciate them.

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I wonder if us keeping our old-glass shiny helps new-SN sales or hurts it?

I think it's the other way around:

The never-ending escalation of new Nautique prices helps the value* of shiny old-glass Nautiques...

*(making them more worthy of preservation, etc.)

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 9:49pm
No-wood boats are pretty cost effective to keep alive, almost indefinitely. Upholstery, wear items like cables, an occasional gauge or wiring update, and then eventually a rebuild or replacement engine. All are chump change compared to a new boat, or even a 5 year old boat. Unlike a car where the metal parts have a finite life (in our salt heavy area of New England anyway) the boat itself should last a VERY long time if we want it too.

-------------

Date Posted: April-10-2018 at 11:58pm
Good point on inflation of old school resale prices.

One could probably buy a used SN & scrap it at the end of each season & still be ahead of the depreciation curve on those high end boats.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Posted By: 70CC
Date Posted: April-11-2018 at 3:12pm
When I was a kid growing up on Twin Lakes, Iowa, our neighbors had an Evinrude Explorer powered by a Buick V8.. It was not the prettiest boat on the lake but it was a real workhorse. Seems the styling was decades ahead of its time!

-Phil

Date Posted: April-11-2018 at 4:12pm
Remember those boats very well! But, kind of surprised you mention a V8, I thought they had less HP than that, the outdrives at that time couldn't handle a whole lot of power.

-------------

Date Posted: April-11-2018 at 4:24pm
Growing up in Orlando, CC country, about every house on the Conway Chain had a Nautique hanging in the boathouse.   Very few were used all the time, most just hung there.   Fast forward to lake Conway today.   People who live on this lake for the most part can afford the 100k sticker price and hang it in the boathouse with little use. Not sure however how many are still willing to do it though.   

Date Posted: April-11-2018 at 4:33pm
looked at what mastercraft has and it looks like cc followed their design in part.   3300 lb boat in the 80k range.

Date Posted: April-11-2018 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

our neighbors had an Evinrude Explorer powered by a Buick V8..

-Phil

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

, kind of surprised you mention a V8, I thought they had less HP than that, .

Phil,
It was a OMC I/O with a V6.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-11-2018 at 8:56pm
Here's a page from the 1967 Evinrude IO brochure.

Notice that there's a V6 and a V8 and they're both Buick engines.

Before anybody jumps up and down and says it's a Chevy V8 check the bore and stroke in the brochure, Then see what the bore and stroke of a 300 cubic inch Buick V8 was.

It came in the bigger 19 ft hulls and not the smaller hulls but maybe like CC back then if you asked nicely and waved some extra money around you could get whatever you wanted as a special order. Maybe that's what 70 CC's neighbor did

Date Posted: April-11-2018 at 9:17pm
Thanks Ken. You can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!!

Phil,
How's your project coming? You haven't posted lately about that 1st gen. SN!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 70CC
Date Posted: April-11-2018 at 9:20pm
Thanks Keno. Pretty sure it was a V8 and it was a good sized boat for the day, so could have been a 19'. I must have pasted a pic of the smaller version.

Date Posted: April-11-2018 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Thanks Ken. You can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!!

Well now we're all a little smarter because we know where CC got the inspiration for the new boat

Back then a friend's family has a 19 footer with the Buick V8

Like Phil said it seemed huge and it was a lot of fun.

it's been cross bred with a Glastron from the early 70's or so to come up with the shape of the deck for the CC though..

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: April-12-2018 at 12:06pm
I like open-bow ski tugs, so I'm a little disappointed that I didn't see an open-bow version -- too bad. The ski wake looks verrrrrry nice. I'd love to have that bad-boy.

I agree with many of the other Ski Nautique veterans that the style of this new unit is butt-ugly. I do like the creature comforts, but not a big fan of the over-the-top use of Sea-Deck.

I really love the ski lockers and wish my 1994 had 'em. That dry weight is higher than what I was expecting.

Looks like my next purchase will be a slightly-used open-bow 2018 Ski Nautique...

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: April-12-2018 at 12:11pm
What I posted On BOS this morning:
Drove it Skied it today at Corys..short line skiers dream come true! Going to ski it again on Fri.

Skied it at 34 and 35 MPH 28 off through 35 off. like riding across a glass table top through the wakes after 28 off. 28 off did have some rooster bite but was not an issue. noticed no wake drop off at any of the line lengths i skied. It is kinda UN-nerving not feeling the wake the first time.
pulled a couple skiers at longer lines and slower speed so I did not get a real feel for how it feels with top speed shortline skiers. from my brief experience behind the wheel I did need a 15 year old to walk me through the screen set up procedures (thanks Fed!). This could be an issue for many drivers that get thrown in the boat with no previous seat time in the product. A quick warning as a skier in a tournament you need to remind the driver at each end to input the line length as if it is not you might not get the ride you expect.

Talking to Cory and Adam P they were both very excited that the trick side of the boat was fabulous and they said the wakes were large and very well defined with an absolute flat table. Cory Commented that tricks were not left as as side issue and a lot of thought went into the total design of the boat.

Every aspect of the boat as far as I can see went through a comprehensive thought process and ergonomics are spot on.
Not going to go into the styling and overall looks as I am only interested in what goes on behind the boat. It was an overall great first impression for me though i was involved with a sneak preview back in Dec.

I highly urge anyone that can make the time to sign up and go get your free ride as it is for a limited time only. I believe that Rini, Travers, Pickos and a few others are involved with this promotion.
Looking forward to my next experience with this product..

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-12-2018 at 12:15pm
Oh for goodness sake, the OB is coming. The CB and short deck are on the short list of things a traditionalist will like about the boat, let them have them! There’s no way they added the shovel nose with anything but OB space in mind, it sure doesn’t score many style points. Guessing the debut will be a few months away.

Date Posted: April-12-2018 at 1:02pm
I'm with Tim,I'd guess their whole focus is getting this ready and right for the Masters

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: stepper459
Date Posted: April-12-2018 at 1:09pm
Re: replacement cost and life of the SeaDek, I can't imagine that replacing it would be worse that what I've seen people going through to replace carpet on the "OG" 210's like mine. There is an incredible amount of carpet in my boat, and while it's OK if you keep it pretty dry, carpet isn't known for dispersing moisture very well. If you keep the boat covered when it's not in use, I don't see why the SeaDek product wouldn't last just as long, if not longer, than carpet. If you don't cover it, well, say goodbye to the rest of your interior, too. By the time it needs to be replaced, I would imagine costs will have come down a bit - they already have as a result of multiple competitive products on the market now, compared to 10-15 years ago with this kind of material. All that said, I think they went overboard. Maybe you can option that out in some areas?

As for the design of the boat, I look at it a bit like the new Civic Type-R. Presented in some colors, I find it downright offensive. But if you don't have multiple contrasting colors, for example, if the whole thing was just blue or black or white, it wouldn't be nearly as hard to look at. The CTR looks fine in all black, because you can't see all those giant black "vents" and other details that are so polarizing.

I'm an absolute fan of the classic lines of the older Nautiques, which is why I sought out an OG 210; well, that, and I can't remotely afford a $50k boat, let alone $100k or $150k. One of my favorite boats of all time is the plain-old Century Resorter, which, what do you know, looks a lot like a 2001 in profile. So, while I don't like the looks of the new boat, I think the design will grow on me when i can see some more subdued tones, or even just see one in person. But then again, I don't really like any of the current offerings of giant wake boats. It's just not my thing.

I'd sure like to ski behind a '19 Nautique, though.

Date Posted: April-12-2018 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

What I posted On BOS this morning:
Drove it Skied it today at Corys..short line skiers dream come true! Going to ski it again on Fri.
Looking forward to my next experience with this product..

VERY COOL! Thanks for the review. If I lived ANYWHERE near one of these locations I'd be there. I looked on BOS and did not see where you had posted? Perhaps I'm not looking in the right thread(s).

-------------

Date Posted: April-12-2018 at 7:09pm
Wow Jody, you sure make it sound appealing !! Even though I personally am not wild about the new styling, I also don't really hate it as some have said. I'm sorta thinking if I had 100k to spend on a new ski boat I would probably make myself learn to like it

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: April-12-2018 at 8:01pm
If there's even a chance that it can be ordered with less Sundeck, and less metal flake, maybe a more subdued graphics package, I could warm up a bit.....

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Posted By: mdvalant
Date Posted: April-13-2018 at 11:27am
https://www.facebook.com/NautiqueBoats/videos/10155593364382532/" rel="nofollow - Video of a few more-subdued colors on Facebook

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5009 - '90 Ski (sold)
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5479 - '00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Date Posted: April-13-2018 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

it's been cross bred with a Glastron from the early 70's or so to come up with the shape of the deck for the CC though..

You ain't lyin Keno, my old 76 GT160 glastron front deck lines were very similar. We have covered trihulls before - nothing in boating has ever come on so hard and then disappeared so completely so quickly In this case I am guessing that bow is a lot harder to dunk under water than the 200, particularly if they put out an OB at the same length.

That was a pretty good little clip of sending those boats out into the world - still not a set of color choices that really got me... but I am not much of red guy.   Maybe I could learn to like the white on the front of the mostly blue boat.

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: April-13-2018 at 12:44pm
Correct Craft helps U S Navy develop new SEAL assault craft:

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: April-13-2018 at 1:20pm
It really looks like a Radar Vapor! Must say... hated it at first... starting to come around...

Still, I see $30k worth of pointless features I'd like to see stripped off it, not to mention 1/3 the seadek. Stereo seems skimpy...

Date Posted: April-13-2018 at 1:48pm

my old 76 GT160 glastron

Joe, why did I somehow know you would have had a GT160 before you even said that?

Never had one, but drooled over them in my youth, along with the various Carlson offerings. I'm guessing you had a 115 Tower of Power on it?

That video made me like the new Ski just slightly more. Like everything I'll get used to it and probably even like it once I see more, just was caught kind of by surprise by the initial look. Jody's comments help a lot in appreciating what kind of a performer the boat is.

-------------

Date Posted: April-16-2018 at 11:10am
Cannot tell if there are lifting rings, don't see anything on the bow? What are they going to connect their extended pylons to ??

-------------

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: April-16-2018 at 11:18am
Isn't part of the boat carbon fiber?

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: April-16-2018 at 11:42am

Cannot tell if there are lifting rings, don't see anything on the bow?

Just might have to use the old school method lifting I/O's and O/B's. That's a strap through the bow eye on the stem to the hook.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-16-2018 at 11:44am

Cannot tell if there are lifting rings, don't see anything on the bow? What are they going to connect their extended pylons to ??

They list the lift ring spacing as 18' 7" in the specifications so its got to be there somewhere...

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: April-16-2018 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Isn't part of the boat carbon fiber?

They say the construction is a mixture of fiberglass and carbon fiber, I would suspect that means they use carbon fiber strategically in the hull to reduce the number of layers of glass/thickness of resin to keep the weight down for the same strength. Don't know if any parts are 100% carbon fiber.

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: April-16-2018 at 11:54am
Or it means they used it as trim on the dash or control

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: April-17-2018 at 12:22am

They list the lift ring spacing as 18' 7" in the specifications so its got to be there somewhere...

Nice youtube video that shows/ explains a lot but they don't mention the lifting rings. At first viewing I thought I saw two of them, one on either side of the windshield but watching it again I see those are the mounting points for the front bimini poles.   The boat is 20' LOA without the platform and you can see the stern rings in the transom so the bow lifting point has to be 17" short of the front. Perhaps Pete is right and they are using a bow sling of sorts??

Anyway, the video does showcase a lot of the new innovations and cool features:     https://youtu.be/kvRKrPPDQqk" rel="nofollow - video

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: April-19-2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Absolutely, basically everyone I knew that was a pretty serious wakeboarder has had knee/shoulder/back/ankle surgeries. Not worth it. Barefooting hurts sometimes for a short amount of time but otherwise is pretty easy on the body with all of the thrills.

Just dive into the water at 25 mph with a 4x8 strapped to your feet. Yay, you're wakeboard crashing.

My nephew (39) must not have gotten the memo. (last fall)

-------------

Date Posted: April-19-2018 at 10:55am

[

My nephew (39) must not have gotten the memo. (last fall)

]

You should make sure to let him know before its too late

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: April-19-2018 at 11:09am
Truth be told, he is pretty banged up and has really scaled back. Of course landing on his head one too many times snowboarding in a similar fashion didnt help either. In fact, I was surprised to see this video which just surfaced a day or so ago. He does seem to spend more of his time surfing now. (and in the winter kite boarding, or whatever you call it, out on the ice) Gotta give him credit tho. He is/was a pretty solid wakeboarder and could get more air off a unweighted ski boat wake than anyone I have ever seen.

-------------

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: April-19-2018 at 4:20pm
Is Dougie rippin behind the new 2019 Ski Nautique?

Print Page | Close Window