NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct prop size?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct prop size?
    Posted: September-02-2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Would you take the spindle in your Bridgeport apart with a hammer and then reuse the same bearings?

I would hate to guess how many thousand or maybe hundred thousand times I have rapped the draw bar with the wrench to remove a collet from the spindle .

Duane,
I feel rapping the draw bar is different than whacking it with a hammer to disassemble the spindle. I'd call the "rapping" more of a tapping. I too have done it many times and typically with the 3/4" wrench I use to loosen the draw bar.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 3:19pm
Use a GOOD prop puller. The "Iron Man" is a good one. As was mentioned above, keep the prop castle nut on -- just a few threads is all you need. Give the puller plenty of torque. I keep the prop from turning with a block of wood wedged against the trailer cage. Then I go inside and get something to eat. The bang usually comes within 5 minutes or so. Also as mentioned above, a really stubborn prop may need some heat from a propane torch on the propeller hub. This methodology has never let me down. I stay away from whacking the prop so as to protect the transmission.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 3:12pm
I have no idea on how they expect you to hit the end of the puller when you can't even get a socket and ratchet between it and the rudder.
There's more than one way to skin a Democrat, (whoops I meant cat) I have found that the heat method works quick and easy with less chance of F-ing something up.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 2:21pm
Ha ha !   Funny stuff Gary.   

Yes, It's been a while since I've been around these types of 'spirited discussions'.   They can be quite informative. And entertaining ... LOL
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 11:33am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 11:24am

Would you take the spindle in your Bridgeport apart with a hammer and then reuse the same bearings?

I would hate to guess how many thousand or maybe hundred thousand times I have rapped the draw bar with the wrench to remove a collet from the spindle (original bearings) No other way to get it loose.
I guess some common sense is required when using the hammer method. One could always take the coupler on the shaft loose from the trans coupler if there was enough concern.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 11:14am

"I" don't feel that a sharp rap on the bolt will transfer enough energy to damage the output bearing. jmo
So what method do you approve of and use??

The risk is yours with the hammer but, you are also great at trans rebuilds. Yes, I have used the whack with the hammer but have always thought about that thrust bearing in the trans. Would you take the spindle in your Bridgeport apart with a hammer and then reuse the same bearings?

I have used the heat method and it works.
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Don't beat on the prop with a hammer or wrench and hammer!!!! Just took my 540 off for a fellow CCF to try, it has been on for several years.
Put the puller on stopped prop from spinning with a block of wood between prop and trailer. Cranked prop puller on nice and tight, then took a propane torch (map gas works a little faster) heat the hub evenly and wait for the BANG and off she pops.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 10:37am
"I" don't feel that a sharp rap on the bolt will transfer enough energy to damage the output bearing. jmo
So what method do you approve of and use??
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 10:29am

Use one of these and like Pete said " hit the prop puller bolt"

Duane,
I didn't say it, Acme states it in their pulling instructions.
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Plus every time you smack it, is like using a slide hammer on the transmission output shaft.

Just as Paul stated, hitting the puller bolt still whacks the trans output bearing via it's output shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 9:57am
Use one of these and like Pete said " hit the prop puller bolt"

1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 6:35am
Acme's prop pulling instructions state to hit the puller bolt!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 12:38am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

.   A bad hit could obviously turn a good prop into junk.

Plus every time you smack it, is like using a slide hammer on the transmission output shaft.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 10:26pm
Keep a nut on the shaft but loose or the prop hits the floor when it pops. Did that once. One is enough. The heat option sounds like a easy trick.
If I was not clear, hit the wrench not the prop. That is why the wrench was used. It did work and left no evidence of this use. One good smack, I think the vibration of the hit pops it.   A bad hit could obviously turn a good prop into junk.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 6:32pm
Don't beat on the prop with a hammer or wrench and hammer!!!! Just took my 540 off for a fellow CCF to try, it has been on for several years.
Put the puller on stopped prop from spinning with a block of wood between prop and trailer. Cranked prop puller on nice and tight, then took a propane torch (map gas works a little faster) heat the hub evenly and wait for the BANG and off she pops.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

It was not seated at all.   It was also running on a bent prop shaft so maintenance was not their priority.

I'm a bit worried about mine as there is a fair amount of vibration. Prop at least looks fine, but being an older OJ cast, I've heard stories of some of them being quite out of balance. I'll need to check the prop shaft for alignment as well as a bend.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 3:52pm
To remove my very tight propeller I used the puller, tightened it just as tight as I could and the prop did not pop off.   I then took a 2 lb ball pen hammer and gave the puller nut one good smack. Did not pop.
Next I took a 1 1/8 inch open end wrench, slid it down the prop shaft till it rested against my prop on the engine side of the prop. I smacked the wrench as hard as I could so it banged down on my prop. It popped off.   Hitting my wrench avoided denting my prop. They are not always easy.
When I first bought my boat it had issues to fix. When I pulled the first prop off I just removed the nut and slid off the prop. It was not seated at all.   It was also running on a bent prop shaft so maintenance was not their priority.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2017 at 10:11am
Well my boat is 22 years old this year and let's just say the previous owners weren't as particular with it's care as I would have been. By the looks of it the prop that is on it is not only the original, but has likely never been off the boat. My guess is that even with a puller it may be a fight to get it off. As such, the blue may be a wise investment.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2017 at 6:45am
For lapping, get some valve grinding compound. Same stuff and available at auto supplies. The blue is optional and really only a good indicator of how well the tapers fit together. It's not used by tool makers that much anymore so you can get it at industrial on line supplies like McMaster Carr.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2017 at 1:37am

Joseph,
When you get the props, check with us before you swap and try any of them out. We may be able to save you the trouble and time with any of the swaps.

Do you have a prop puller? Also lapping compound the lap the prop taper to the shaft taper?

Don't have the puller yet, but I do have one on order. As for the rest, that's certainly news to me - never knew there was a "process" to putting on a new prop with these.   I really appreciate the information Pete... you probably saved me losing a prop in the near future.
So since I'm new to this, where does one get the blue and lapping compound?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2017 at 11:57pm
I see 2 of you like the 1422 3 blade on NWZ hulls. Any noise issues?
I like your top speeds, how is the 33 mph Rpm if you don't mind and is the hole shot still good?
Tim I think you have an extra 50+ HP, what do you have Gun Driver?
My 95 is bone stock rated 310 hp.
The 224 I run impresses me for the hole shot but I can only compare to the OJ factory prop and the 4 blade OJ 14 16.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2017 at 10:24pm
Proper prop install Sorry about the pictures!! Damn photobucket and no more 3rd party hosting!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2017 at 10:21pm
Joseph,
When you get the props, check with us before you swap and try any of them out. We may be able to save you the trouble and time with any of the swaps.

Do you have a prop puller? Also lapping compound the lap the prop taper to the shaft taper?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2017 at 10:11pm
Well, and unexpected update:   Was talking at the job today about the boat and another of the subs overheard the conversation about me wanting a different prop. Turns out he's got a SN on a lift at Table Rock Lake and has 4 or 5 different props for it that he's tried out over the years. He said he's been thinking he needs to get rid of a couple, just never gotten around to it. He's headed to the lake this weekend and says he'll bring 2 or 3 back for me to try, if I'd like.   Ummm..... Yes. Yes Please.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2017 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by PROPGUY PROPGUY wrote:

I guess...lol..... im a pretty cut n dry guy...Well I hope my input helped. If you need a prop or repair let me know all I do is inboard props.... we do all the CC factory work.
      Rob
American Propeller

Rob,
What prop manufacturers do you handle?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2017 at 3:58pm
I like the 1442 on my '95 ski w/GT-40 all the pull you will ever need and mine tops out at 49.6 gps @ 5200

PS. I'm wondering if I would throw 1 or 2 of Quinner's girl friends in the back, if that would get the nose up enough to get 50
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 6:10pm
I suspect Correct craft hasn't done all the testing on the older hulls, acme props weren't available until 2001 or so. The NWZ in question was out of production 5+ years before that.

That 206 excal isn't going to run any better than 47 (assuming it has the gate up) even with a perfectly matched prop. The gauges are lying. That is almost certainly going to have a rev limiter which will hold down the revs and speed with the shorter 13x14. Even if it didn't, dropping 1.5"+ in pitch is going to result in nearly 600rpm higher revs. It was likely turning in he 4900 neighborhood with the stock 422 so yes, 5500rpm is going to be in the ballpark. That is well past the peak power (5k ish) point so yes, the boat will slow down. 3mph is what I saw with similar numbers on my NWZ, I can't imagine they're that far off with such a similar application. I bet it's not running any better than 44 if you put a gps on it.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 6:07pm
lol I just love talking about props and hearing what each one does different for everyone.

Tim always has great prop advice, along with many others here so it's fun to see what everyone thinks about different applications etc. No worms! All good! at least for me anyways!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 6:05pm
WOW ....   I really opened a big can of worms here didn't I   LOL!    

My experience on other (boating) forums is there are several key areas that can spark quite a debate from just one simple question.   This is one of them.   

Perhaps I'll gravitate to the watersports section next and ask everyone's opinion on the best water ski   HA HA HA !
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
PROPGUY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROPGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 5:54pm
I guess...lol..... im a pretty cut n dry guy...Well I hope my input helped. If you need a prop or repair let me know all I do is inboard props.... we do all the CC factory work.
      Rob
American Propeller
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 5:45pm
Rob, it's much more fun talking about it than it is doing and being done with it. Just go with it would ya? hahaha

Ok, I'll hush up. Will post what I decide on and share the data after.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic