NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Start of stringer repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Start of stringer repair
    Posted: August-23-2017 at 6:02am
Good eve guys, i have always been sorta floating in the back ground and waiting to start my questions.
Finally got my 1979 correct craft running awesome. while doing that i found stringer rot in the back and believe it is up front as well.
I have to obviously take up floor since its cracking a;ll around the sides by the engine.
To start this off right, am i to understand i remove the engine, and get the boat on some sort of supports before opening up the floor and starting the stringer work?

Yes i will be posting full pics after in morning to assist with any ideas you guys might have to ease this project along.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 7:01am
Tons of info for stringer repair in the archives. Boat will need to be totally gutted and supported properly. HUGE job, good luck.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 8:44am
Yeah, im buying the tools now. then taking the floor up.   1st question, i have to take boat off trailer and support it with those arm looking things?    YES i am a novice when it comes to boat work. im more into engines.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Jgrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 7:20pm
Just starting my 76 ski tique floor job UGH!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Jgrant Jgrant wrote:

Just starting my 76 ski tique floor job UGH!

Jeff,
Just the actual sole or are you getting into the stringers? How about some pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 8:08pm
two words:
Tyvek Suit
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 8:09pm
Two more words:
Poor sumanabitch
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Jgrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 12:23am
As with everybody that takes on one of these, I'm hopeful for just a floor, but preparing myself for a stringer job too. I know it's a nightmare but I have a freshly rebuilt 302-v4, new dual taper shaft new prop etc. I have to finish her.
Wish me luck I'm going in!
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 7:28am
Pictures men, pictures. Good luck!!
Js
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Jaxboater Jaxboater wrote:

Yeah, im buying the tools now. then taking the floor up.   1st question, i have to take boat off trailer and support it with those arm looking things?    YES i am a novice when it comes to boat work. im more into engines.

Take this as helpful advice.   Sounds like you are getting in over your head. Find someone who has done this kind of work and look over their shoulder so you can get a hang of it. So many important steps that if not properly performed will lead to disaster. Stringers are a huge undertaking. If not installed properly then all you work is in vane.   Just trying to help you.    Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 11:31am
Harry,
Why do you feel the need to take the boat off the trailer? It can stay on the trailer for the stringer job. I'd also like to say we have members who have undertaken the job with absolutely no experience working with glass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

two words:
Tyvek Suit

VERY TRUE!! Also, respirator, diamond cutting wheel and wire brush for grinder, shop vac with a pre filter, and a lot of patience. It's not fun but it does feel good and rewarding once you're done!
92 Sport nautique
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 5:17pm
Hey, somewhere i read that it needed to be taken off the trailer and braced to take floor up, and start replacing stringers. Wanted to ask because i have no where to do that stuff.

I will be utilizing you guys and this site to "walk" me through this project.

oh, after what i have read, i still ask myself- whats the best way to get that floor up? just cut a section and start ripping it up?
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2017 at 5:42pm
Harry,
I'd say you came across a stringer thread where the trailer was pulled so it could be worked on and or painted. Actually I feel the trailer is the best place for the boat. It gives you a start of how the hull should sit. I suggest blocking the trailer so it's not sitting on the springs and moving. You may even want to remove the wheels so it sits closed to the floor. Then you start measuring and checking level of the boat. A 79 Tique has a pretty decent thick hull that may not even need extra support but if it has a tendency to twist, a couple extra supports at the chine will not hurt. Keep the reports and questions coming in and do post pictures.

Yes on rough cutting up the sole. Then when you get close to the hull, a diamond (cheap) works great in a 4" angle grinder.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautique Newby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 2:03pm
I'm in the middle of my stringer replacement on my '82 2001. It's a very large undertaking, especially when you're new to it like me. It also costs about $2000 or more when you factor all the costs involved. I'm at about 300 hours and I just got the foam back in it. There's probably another 100 or so to finish it out. I wanted to get it back on the water this summer but it didn't happen. So plan ahead if you have a certain completion date in mind.

There's a lot of threads on this site with a ton of helpful knowledge and tips. Unfortunately photobucket changed their policy recently and most of the pics have dissapeared off the site.

Good luck!
I hope I don't screw this up!
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 11:12pm
As many have said it is a lot of work. Lot of bending over in the bildge and fiberglass dust. When I did my stringers I did one at a time and cut the top off and pried the wet wood out easily. After cleaning area up real well I was able to glue new stringer in place and go over with 4 layers of glass. This will save you some work with stringer location. Just need pay close attention to height. A flap sanding disk for grinder works wonders in prepping out the area for glass layups. A good shopvac with the vacuum bag and good filter for the dust. Those bags can hold like 5lbs dust without clogging filter. 23fishnautique
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 7:01am
That sounds good.   that would have been next question if i could do them 1 at a time.

if i can get rid of this damm cold, id start on stringers. floor is up for most part. pics to come very soon.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 8:08am
Originally posted by jblocal jblocal wrote:

When I did my stringers I did one at a time and cut the top off and pried the wet wood out easily. After cleaning area up real well I was able to glue new stringer in place and go over with 4 layers of glass.

My only concern with leaving the original stringer glass in place is getting a good bond with the new. The old glass needs to be mechanically ground down to remove the surface resin getting down to glass. This is especially true with any original bilge coating. It must be removed. I also feel grinding the insides of the old stringer glass is also next to impossible.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 3:21pm
Well i have gotten 2 stringers done thanks to all the information here. looks like i just have to replace the floor and then carpet and im done.

i do have a question though...   since i had my engine yanked, redone, and running great- it was placed back in the boat. I want to run it to ensure no fuel is left in carb and turning to crap.... i saw the mechanic guy pull out a gas can and hook it right up to fuel line and it ran great.   so i bought a fuel can with that primer bubble on it and attached it to my fuel line... and it wont start now.   any hints what i might be doing wrong?   i was thinking taking out part of the hose except primer bubble and then retry.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 3:53pm
Harry,
You shouldn't need the primer bulb if you hooked up the temporary tank before the fuel pump.
I wouldn't worry too much about fuel in the carb. Stabil the gas and run the engine for several minutes.
Are we ever going to see some pictures of the project?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 4:00pm
Yes i am in the process of pics.
I do want to start my engine and run it "main tank is empty and clean".    i have a marine tank "3 gallon"- that has that hose to a bulb, i wanted to hook the marine tank like the mechanic did so i can run it weekly before selling it.

JaxNole
1979 Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 4:06pm
Harry,
Do you have the hose hooked up in the proper direction so the arrow on the primer bulb faces the engine? When you squeeze the bulb do you get gas out the hose?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 4:40pm
i think so.   im confused or ignorant today.    here is a pic of the new carb i finished and a pic of where i think i hook up the hose. uploading pics now.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 4:44pm
cannot figure where to hook the hose up to. that clear line just goes up to the air breather on top of engine. i did remove the larger one "metal tube" hooked up fuel to that and it started but it kept bubbling where the metal hose went then stopped.
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 4:47pm
Harry,
Hook the temporary hose up to the inlet of the fuel pump. It's the hose coming from the fuel tank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 4:48pm
-
JaxNole
1979 Tique
Jaxboater View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 5:01pm
ah! i got it.     runs great still. didnt want it sitting there with "maybe fuel in carb".

now its time for new floor, carpet, then install my seats and bubble.    what a job...
JaxNole
1979 Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic