Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing the gel coat ghosts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing the gel coat ghosts
    Posted: June-16-2017 at 12:47am
I figured it was time to attack the gel coat. I am following the steps outlined here ( buffing / sanding). I am having an issue removing the ghosts left by the removal of especially the script and decals. I am wet sanding by hand and 800 grit doesn't touch it. I have yet to step up to 1000 grit. Somewhere along the line, someone did a sloppy job of patching removed boat cover snaps. On these I was able to use 400 wet to smooth them out and the original finish started to come through. Am I going to have to use this grit on the entire boat or should I trust the compounds to get me there? Most of it is above the water line. Thanks, Steve
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 1:21am
You will never get them out. Think of it- under those decals and scripts is the original color of the gel,it's the rest that has changed from the sun. Go back with the 800 and do the best you can. The new decals and scripts will cover and "distract" you from the ghost.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 1:28am
Gary, that's what I was thinking. One more question. At what speeds(rpm) should I be at from Super duty, Perfect it and finesse it? This is my first time at this and I'm sure I'll eventually find a comfort zone. Thanks!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 2:12am
Steve I'll have to leave that to others. I use a old 2 speed Sears sander/polisher 1400/1650 rpm's. I suppose a variable speed is what most have but don't know what speeds are used.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 6:49am
Steve,
I agree with Gary that you will not get the ghosting out and the new graphics will cover it. When I did my Tique, a PO had named the boat. Removing the name reveled ghosting that wouldn't come out. When wet sanding I started to see hints (black spots) that I was sanding almost through the gel so, I ended up having to re gel the complete transom.

A have a variable speed buffer that I find that the 3/4 setting is best. That's about 1500 to 1600 RPM.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Goldcup101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 8:31am
I've just started on the super duty today. Using a Dewalt at 1400 rpm and it seems to be coming up really nicely. Finished the hull at 1000 grit, didn't bother with any finer having read on these forums that super duty will take out 1000 grit scratches.

Thought the rotary would be easier work than it is though so sore arms syndrome continues! Have already done the whole boat in 600, 800 & 1000.

Like you, I've still got some faint ghosting but hull sides (green) have actually come up better than the transom though the 'Ski Nautique' decals should cover exactly where the old ghosts are. The 'Nautiques since 1925' decal and the 'World Champion Ski Boat' decals on the stern have left worse ghosts that, oddly, seem to be proud of the existing gelcoat for some reason. Since I am replacing with identical decals though, they should be covered ok if I'm accurate enough.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 12:36pm
I feel you! Did mine last night... feels like I was skiing sets and doing pushups yesterday!

I didn't need to sand but did 3m compound, 3m finesse it (twice) then 3m wax. Use a nice wool pad for the compound 1,600-1,800 or what ever works for you... then foam pad for wax. I feel if you try and use foam to finesse it will not work as well or you will have to use a bit more arm.

That $600 quote seems cheap in hind sight... lol...

Question.. While buffing around the decals I did cause one corner to lift... only really 1/4 inch, any suggestions on what to tack it down with? touch of 3m marine adhesive? or something a little less?

They are in great shape so don't really want to replace.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 12:42pm
The recommended RPM ranges for the higher end 3M products are listed right on the bottle, right near where they tell you what grit scratches it will remove.
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 1:11pm
Thanks for the advice. Mine is just a 76' Martinique with minimal decals. The PO put on newer scripts and I elected to go back with the original ones that I bought from a member here. They don't quite line up and that was my immediate concern. I plan on a full weekend. At least I'll be able to arm wrestle my brother after its over!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic