NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wood or fiberglass floor?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood or fiberglass floor?
    Posted: July-09-2006 at 9:12pm
I decided to fix a few soft spots in the floor of my 87 Martinique. What i expected to find was fiberglass sprayed over foam. However much of the fiberglass had been removed and rotting plywood is now where the fibergalss had been. When I pulled up the plywood there was a lot of rot underneath, but fortunately the stringers looked great.

Here is my question. Do I replace the floor with fiberglass or wood? There are no true cross members or much of anything to attach a wood floor to. Just a few chambers made of 3/8 inch plywwod and filled with foam. I've read tons of posting on replacing wood floors but none on glass. What do you guys think is my best aproach?

Tim

Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2006 at 10:34pm
I found the same thing on one side of my 2001. Just so I can get on the water this season I'm going in with plywood and next winter I plan to go back with glass over foam.
This dude did an awesome job on his floors using plywood.
floored
Bob Ed
83 2001
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 4:30pm
No doubt he did an awesome job. Looking at his boat I realized how totally diffent the construction is on mine.

At this point all of the fiberglass is off and i am inclined to rebuild the 3/8 inch thick frame for the foam and glass over the foam. If that's not a good idea someone please let me know.

Thanks, Tim

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 4:41pm
if the wood is not sealed with resin on all side you will be doing the job again in the not so distant future. the floors are wood encapsulated in resin and fiber glass. You don't have to add the fiberglass to the underside but you need to to tie it to the free board and everwhere else. The pictures posted are the correct way it should be done, instead of the half assed job someone left you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic