Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'94 Sport Nautique - My first boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KTMrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTMrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 4:34pm
Hey guys, I have two questions

1. My boat has a hummingbird depth finder. Its just a small gauge located on the dash panel with digital readout and one button. I cant figure out how to properly use it. Can anyone shed some light on the operation of this unit and where the sensor is located?

2. This may be a dumb question - I'm not exactly clear how water gets into the bilge area. We were out yesterday for several hours tubing and skiing and ran the pump a few times when the water level was maybe a few inches deep. Does the water typically migrate into the engine area as a result of operation? I am planning to dock my boat an a marina soon and wondering if this is something that need checked every day/couple days or is it only an issue when its in operation (assuming there aren't any major leaks).

Thanks
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 5:15pm
2.) They can potentially take on a little more while in operation through the shaft and/or rudder area. Also, make sure you're not getting any leaks related to cooling water, around the circulation pump etc. As far as how much water you'll take on when you're docked, you really just have to watch and see unfortunately. Maybe check it once at night, and once first thing in the morning, and gauge from there. Even if you're boat is pretty dry, you want to make sure your auto bilge function is working well.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 5:49pm
Keep in mind that people getting out of the water and into the boat, plus wet vests, skis, etc. could be enough to make the pumps pump some water a few times. And yes, the way an inboard ski boat hull is configured the water tends to be down under the engine cradle when at rest, that's why the hull drain is located there.

If both pumps are working correctly, they each cycle about once every 2 minutes (or maybe it's 3 minutes?) and if they sense water, meaning impeller resistance, they pump it. Otherwise they just run for a second and stop. If you listen for a few minutes you can hear them cycle to know they are working correctly. You have to make sure you leave the ignition and bilge pump breakers on or they will not pump.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

...You have to make sure you leave the ignition breaker and bilge pump breakers on or they will not pump.

Just want to emphasize that you're talking about the ignition breaker, not the ignition key. If you left the key on you'd be running up hours and running down the battery.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 6:46pm
Cory,
Here's your problem!!
Originally posted by KTMrider KTMrider wrote:

We were out yesterday for several hours tubing
Thanks

Seriously, listen to the above comments and also, get some more skis and or boards!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KTMrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTMrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 7:05pm
Ok, thanks for the replies. I'll definitely monitor it every evening for the first week or so.

So, if I understand correctly regarding the bilge pumps, I should leave ignition and auto bilge breakers in "on" position while docked at marina and unattended (key removed)? This does seem logical in the event of a leak developing or if there is minimal seepage.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 7:20pm
Yes, that's right!
KTMrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTMrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 7:29pm
I hear ya! I've been trolling craigslist and so far I picked up a barefoot bar, pair of kids training skis and a pair of O'Brien skis. My youngerst got up on the trainers and I popped up on two. Maybe I'll try it on one next weekend. Its been almost 25 yrs and one knee replacement since I've slalomed so we're easing into it.

Do you have a source/recommendation for how to teach kids the proper technique for skiing? I was never taught the proper method...just hold on and don't fall....lol
KTMrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTMrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Yes, that's right!

thank you
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 8:43pm
sorry i'm late to the party here. Congrats on the new boat! The pics look awesome!! You will certainly love the SpN with the fam. We love ours!

+1 on practicing trailering in an empty parking lot. I brought along two 5-gal buckets to use as "ramp" markers and practiced getting the trailer between the two. started wide, then started moving them closer to hone in. We (wife and I) practiced with a 12' flatbed we have. After we felt good, we took the same flatbed to the launch at 8pm on a weekday. not a soul around. My wife now backs the trailer in during retrieving and asks, EVERY TIME, how it feels to be married to a PRO! She does put other people at the ramp to shame ;)

I don't see an answer to your depth finder question. Not knowing the model number, but if it is the HDR650 or similar, the transducer could be mounted many different places. I believe it looks like a small black cube. It could be on the exterior transom, interior transom, or mounted below the engine. Depth finders are a nice aid, but none-the-less you might want to take it slow in unfamiliar waters first. I had a friend go out with me the first time on the river and he pointed out all the spots to avoid. Our mucky waters throw off the sensor most of the time.

The only other thing I'd mention...not sure if I'll get flamed for it or not...if your comfortable with electrical wiring, you may want to consider giving your auto bilge pump constant 12+ (behind a fuse of course) so that you don't have to leave the ig. breaker and auto switch ON. With that combo the indicator light would stay illuminated draining the battery (albeit slowly). But if the boat sits for long periods, you would be without juice. With it's own feed, it wouldn't use the battery unless the pump switch is activated.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 11:17pm
Those little red breaker lights could stay on for I'm guessing 6 months before draining the battery. What drains is is our resistance operated, not float operated, bilge pumps. Unless you have the float type installed, most of these boats have pumps that go on every few minutes for 1 second, and only stay on if there is water. I've had mine on for as much as 2 weeks, each of the 2 bilge pumps cycling every few minutes, without draining the battery too far to start the boat. I wouldn't recommend waiting that long but it gives you an idea how little juice those pumps draw.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 11:20pm
By the way Spiralhelix, definitely not flaming you, I actually don't like the way Nautique chose to wire those pumps, have posted about it before.

I'm more likely to flame you for registering your "real name" as Joe Schmo!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 11:56pm
Dave does your Sport have the Water Witch switch in it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by KTMrider KTMrider wrote:

Do you have a source/recommendation for how to teach kids the proper technique for skiing? I was never taught the proper method...just hold on and don't fall....lol

You can go to You Tube and google something like how to teach kids to ski on a boom. You will be surprised as to all the great how to guide that will appear.

Also, if you can come to a CCFAN Mini reunion event the folks at that event will be more than glad to help you and your kids. That is how I did it. The guys taught my oldest Madeleine who to Wake Board and ski. She is now almost 20. My 16 year old was taught to ski, board , trick ski and foot my guys on this site. Quinner taught me to pull my finger.

The kids will learn a lot more from another dad then from you. They may even recommend that you not be present as they teach. If you tell them something, they can have the tendency not to do it. When someone else tells them they believe it is 100% true. Another effective method is apply the beatings until they believe you.

The boom is the ticket for teaching kids and adults. Start them on the boom itself them move them to a 5 foot ski handle attached to the boom. Then move them 75 foot to the back of the boat. I like to start them on knee boards. The new ones have a Hydro Hook to attached the ski handle too as they learn to climb the board and attach the knee strap while under power. Once situated, they can pull back on the handle to remove it from the hook.

Ski Camps are expensive but not much more than other camps they may attend during the summer. Once again, they will get more out of someone else coaching them. It is just human nature. Typically, these camps are on private lakes with perfect water.

Many of the guys that attend these events are Ex Show Skiers some are present Show Skiers Some have skied for Sea World and other venues. However, only a select few have owned Cyprus Garden's boats.

If you see a boat on the water with a family that looks like they know what they are doing, stop them and ask them to help your kids. You will find that people who ski want to pass the knowledge down to the new generation. So many just want to surf and skiers love to teach the young in hopes of them getting bitten my the love of the hobby.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Dave does your Sport have the Water Witch switch in it?

No, the Rule pumps that cycle on a timer. Maybe I'm wrong about all Nautiques of this vintage having them, but I've been in at least 3 '90's boats that have a pair of them like mine.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 1:27am
My 93 came with a single water witch type. I think the closed bow models are more likely to have a single bilge pump and the open bows more likely to have dual.

The water witch finally let go last year and wouldn't shut off in auto mode. So I know have the kind that cycles.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 3:50pm
My 94 CB had the single pump with the water witch, much like Brian.   I too have replaced with the cycling bilge pump.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic