NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damage boat project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 8:19pm
Looks great, you already have the hang of it.

I would also wrap it up the transom some, just for good luck.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mike9812121298 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 9:02pm
Added some more layers on before work.

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 9:14pm
Super! Way to go Mike! So glad you're letting us see the project, step by step.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 9:26pm
Mike did you stack that woven cloth of fill the hole with resin?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 9:53pm
Very important question and answer about layered cloth/ resin versus resin. That hole is the center of stress for that rudder assembly. I can't tell either from the pics.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 10:04pm
Mike,
The concern is resin in itself isn't the strength of fiberglass. It's simply an adhesive and the glass is the real strength.

Another question is did you make spacers to form the recesses for the strut base and rudder port. before laying in the glass in the bilge?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 10:32pm
When I laid down the fiber I made a template of the hole. I cut the fiber so it was 1/2 inch wider than the hole to grab the edges of the hole. I made 2 peices the same then went 1/2 inch wider and did the same again. Before I laid any fiberglass down I coated around the hole and any cracks or delatmated parts with the resin. I checked it in the morning and it was hard as a rock.

I'm using this resin. I got 10 yards of woven roven for 10 bucks. http://m.fiberglasssupply.com/product.cgi?group=6113&product=6177

I once im done with glass I'm need some way to figure out where to put the hole for the rudder.   The strut mount I'm just going to drill from the under side.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Mike9812121298 Mike9812121298 wrote:

once im done with glass I'm need some way to figure out where to put the hole for the rudder.   The strut mount I'm just going to drill from the under side.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
Another question is did you make spacers to form the recesses for the strut base and rudder port. before laying in the glass in the bilge?

Did you fill in the recesses?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 10:51pm
Pete - what would be the downside of surface mounting?   Extra drag? Just wondering.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2017 at 10:54pm
Chris,
Yes on the drag but the bigger problem would be the change in shaft/engine angle if the strut was flush mounted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 12:33am
I driveshaft strut recess is still there. That mount only had one small crack. I'm just to add one or two layers on the underside strut recess. So the driveshaft angle won't be changed.
The rudder might have to be bolted to the bottom and stick out    I would seal it to help with the drag. But unless I was to cut into the bottom side of the fiber glass I just laid to make a recess it might not be worth the trouble.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 2:38am
I think it is worth the trouble to fix it right.
I would finish the structure of the rudder support inside now that you have the location glassed and solid and then you could cut or grind the rudder mount box outside back to original shape so it mounts joust like the factory made it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 7:14am

The rudder might have to be bolted to the bottom and stick out    I would seal it to help with the drag. But unless I was to cut into the bottom side of the fiber glass I just laid to make a recess it might not be worth the trouble.

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I think it is worth the trouble to fix it right.
I would finish the structure of the rudder support inside now that you have the location glassed and solid and then you could cut or grind the rudder mount box outside back to original shape so it mounts joust like the factory made it.

Mike,
I agree that the effort to recess the rudder port is worth the effort. You're doing a great job but I feel that you are missing some of our comments and suggestions. I and others mentioned making plastic spacers to mimic the recesses which would have been the easy way. Now, as Mark mentioned, the recess will need to be ground out. A template can be made for using a router to make a nice clean recess. I know Tim used the method for his BFN project. I'll see if I can find Tim's thread but now it's off to work for me!!

If you have any problems understanding what anyone of us is saying, please say so and we would be happy to explain it farther.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 7:59am
I hear what u guys are saying. I'll end up making a recess for the rudder mount. Sometime I can get a little lazy. I laid down some more glass, started grinding at the bottom. It looks like the driveshaft strut mount is sitting maybe 1/8 of a inch higher on one side. Does anyone have a pic of the mount so I can get a better idea of what it should look like.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 8:00am
Mike,
Here's Tim's recess project in his BFN clearance improvement thread
Please take the time to review what Tim did.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2017 at 2:04am
Thanks for the link. I'm gonna start the mock up of the rudder mount tonight. If anyone has there boat handy could u take pics of the strut mount?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2017 at 2:15am
I found this one. And it almost looks like the left side sticks up a little

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2017 at 6:13am
Mike,
Using shims (SS washers) between the strut base and hull is a common method to align the strut (pitch and yaw) so, don't worry too much about the recess being off. Also, just like the recess for the rudder port, the same router method can be used for the strut recess.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 10:03pm

I found this one. And it almost looks like the left side sticks up a little

Mike,
You can not compare pictures from another boat hull as to where the proper strut position (depth into the hull) is to your hull. They all differ. Have you watched the alignment video? It may give you a better idea of the strut position needed to align the prop shaft up with the log (hole in bottom of boat).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 7:55pm
Started with the bondo to try and clean it up. I have some new strut and rudder bolts that will come in tomorrow. Getting close for a water test

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 9:02pm
Mike,
I've been wondering what you've been up to! How did the strut to log and then the shaft to engine alignment go?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 9:14pm
Wow..you got some SERIOUS work in since your last post. Yeah, please tell us how the shaft alignment all went.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 9:21pm
Before you start smearing on that hull you should really ask
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 9:35pm
Bondo?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike9812121298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 9:44pm
I try to do some work on the boat every day. I've been pulling some late nights because I've been working 7 days a week 9-10 hrs a day. Headed down south this sat to pick up a 1972 Kawasaki h2 750. That's the next project. Getting a greatly good deal on it.

The drive shaft will need a shim because it sits about 1/4 inch above. I just did a temp installl because I got excited to get a look at it. Picked up a used oj 14-16 prop for 70 bucks.   I wanted to get a good baseline with the boat. Tonight I'll try to finish up the sanding and hopefully get to gel coat by this weekend.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Bondo?

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Before you start smearing on that hull you should really ask

Mike,
Yes, you need to communicate. Bondo just like that urethane adhesive is not the recommended material. I asked once before and you never answered. Are you getting guidance off site? If so, it's poor guidance. Sorry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 9:59pm
Bondo is polyester resin mixed with talc. They whip it to make it lighter. It absorbs water big time.    There is still time to sand it off. Epoxy resin with cabosil would be a much more permanent filler.

Ben Franklin
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 10:12pm
This guy isn't listening to anything but his wallet. I hate to think of the poor guy that buys this boat. why come on here and ask for advice you aren't going to follow.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 10:15pm
yikes.... Well, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I am thinking that BONDO is a big mistake, especially below the waterline.     Polyester body fillers especially the automotive type are hygroscopic, meaning they absorb water. There are marine fillers (evercoat makes one), but they are not for below the waterline IIRC. Polyester fillers are also brittle, and not meant for areas that are going to experience flexing or substrate movement.      I would suggest that you do some sanding and get that stuff off.   Break out the epoxy, and thicken it (cabosil, micro balloons, talc, etc) to use as filler.    That is water proof and will hold up well in a high stress, underwater application.      You are making good progress, but I think that the speed of your repair is causing you to make some critical mistakes. Leaving the BONDO in place will likely have you redoing your repair, fixing the blisters in the gel, or trying to contain the gel repair area after the BONDO comes off in large chunks when it delaminates from the glass, or cracks from the flexing.   Your skill set and speed are impressive,   I love watching your progress, and would love to see this boat back on the water.   Worst case, your whole repair is compromised and the boat ends up on the bottom... sometimes when I think who's going to be in my boat/car, etc. it causes me to re-think my easy solutions.    
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 10:17pm
I guess I am a slow typer, but not the only one with the same opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic