NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

V drive conversions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V drive conversions
    Posted: January-09-2017 at 7:48pm
Hello everyone. I'm looking for more info on any other v drive conversions out there.

I have read form and functions thread about 3x now.
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15448&title=2001v-drive

And 84resto chimes in that thread with helpful tips since he completed a conversion on a 2001 also. From what I can gather he had a build thread on the2001.com which I guess is no longer in existence. His, again from what I can gather is pictured in this thread.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14368

I am about to be doing a stringer project, I have a thread started for that. But I can't get the idea of going with a conversion out of my head, my plan when I bought this 2001 last year was to get, wakeboard behind it for a few years and "upgrade" to a vdrive for the extra room. Mainly to avoid climbing around the motor box all day while hanging out, not to mention when the ballast bags are full. The wife would also appreciate the sun deck in the rear.

Now that my wife and I are expecting, it may be increasingly difficult to upgrade to a new boat, triggering this desire to convert. It may be more practical to change this one over while it is torn down, get it usable, and continue to restore in the future.

Any info can help me in this decision and especially if anyone can put me in touch with someone who has completed one, or is just a guru in that sort of thing. Or could somehow wiki leaks the info and pictures in that old the2001 thread.

Thanks,
Trevor
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 8:06pm
Trevor,    I think you have found the best information that we have on this site, I believe there was one other v drive conversion, but the author escapes me at this moment.   Form& Function was by far the best/most thorough write up though.    You may be able to have one of the other members ping him if they have personal contact info. One of F&F's kids had a health issue, so shortly after the boat was finished, it went up for sale.   The new owner might be able to provide some details as well, if you could track the boat down.   I would also guess that Planet Nautique and some other sites might have guys that have tried a conversion like you are talking about.   This site tends to have more of the old school Keep it original types, but don't let that keep you from building or asking for ideas and advice here.   
Before you commit to a huge rebuild with a conversion attached, you may want to consider just upgrading to a v drive boat.... once you have a baby, your time and your resources will be limited much more than they are now.    I suspect you will have a significant amount of both time and $$ into a conversion, and that unless you are just itching to stay busy and/or have a 5 - 10 year horizon, you would probably be ahead to just purchase vs. build.      Some guys do this stuff super fast, and can do it with Wives and Kids, but I suspect that they are the exception, not the rule.   YMMV.   Good luck though, and with what ever you decide we'd love to see pictures of your progress.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 8:31pm
Trevor,
I went back into Ryan's (F&F) thread to see if he reported the performance after the conversion and couldn't find anything. It would be my concern that shifting all the engine weight aft would affect it and my thought would be for the worse. I sure would track down the person who bought the boat and find out before jumping in on the project.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Trevor,
I went back into Ryan's (F&F) thread to see if he reported the performance after the conversion and couldn't find anything. It would be my concern that shifting all the engine weight aft would affect it and my thought would be for the worse. I sure would track down the person who bought the boat and find out before jumping in on the project.

Looking back on page 18, just above the photo set, he mentions he was pleased with it. Also 84resto said something in there about how well the boat ended up surfing.

Thanks for the replies
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Trevor,    I think you have found the best information that we have on this site, I believe there was one other v drive conversion, but the author escapes me at this moment.   Form& Function was by far the best/most thorough write up though.    You may be able to have one of the other members ping him if they have personal contact info. One of F&F's kids had a health issue, so shortly after the boat was finished, it went up for sale.   The new owner might be able to provide some details as well, if you could track the boat down.   I would also guess that Planet Nautique and some other sites might have guys that have tried a conversion like you are talking about.   This site tends to have more of the old school Keep it original types, but don't let that keep you from building or asking for ideas and advice here.   
Before you commit to a huge rebuild with a conversion attached, you may want to consider just upgrading to a v drive boat.... once you have a baby, your time and your resources will be limited much more than they are now.    I suspect you will have a significant amount of both time and $$ into a conversion, and that unless you are just itching to stay busy and/or have a 5 - 10 year horizon, you would probably be ahead to just purchase vs. build.      Some guys do this stuff super fast, and can do it with Wives and Kids, but I suspect that they are the exception, not the rule.   YMMV.   Good luck though, and with what ever you decide we'd love to see pictures of your progress.

I just don't see the cost being quite as high as you think, my stringers and floor MUST be done, so taking that out of the equation, the only things I'm really seeing as an expense are the v drive itself, prop to match and the custom fuel cell. And the engine cover.

The interior would stay the same, driver seat observer seat and the rear seat moved up, reuse the engine cradle, already redoing the fresh air lines, wiring, battery locations in the stringer job.

Compared to the $15-$20k for a wakeboard specific v drive. If I'm lucky to find something descent on a firemans and teachers salery.

I could be totally wrong though, that's the purpose of this thread
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2017 at 11:37pm
Save yourself a ton of time and money- sell your boat and buy a vdrive. I have a nice 1991 barefoot 454 vdrive I'm getting ready to sell. 😀
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 12:18am
Please take Rod's advice. You will have better resale down the road.

Sell you boat as a project and someone will finish it if it is apart right now. If it is not apart, just sell it, and buy a excel or Barefoot 90's Vee Drive. Rod has a dozen to choose from. Heck he even has a brand new (90's) one.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 12:33am
Don
Someplace is a post of the fleet. I ONLY have 5. You make it sound like I'm a hoarder of excels/Bfn's... the 1991 excel is all the way up to 51 hours now!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 9:49am
Trevor, don't listen to all those old farts, it's your boat do what you want. One comment I would make is other then the sun deck the VDrive really does not give u more room and imo it actually feels more cramped.
If u are trying to track down the form/function guy check with Chris Mars as that was his old boat that got chopped, username cmars.......... something
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 10:01am
Don't forget that most v-drives are 1.5:1 and will likely require an update to 1-1/8" shaft (plus log/packing and strut). Obviously a new prop too.

The conversion in its entirety is a pretty big undertaking. You may want to consider rebuilding the boat in its original configuration ASAP before the warm weather comes. Being boatless during boating season is rather unpleasant for you and others around you. It sounds like you'll have other things competing for your time as well!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

If u are trying to track down the form/function guy check with Chris Mars as that was his old boat that got chopped, username cmars.......... something

Storm34 ya big lug------
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 10:20am
A vdrive hull is much deeper than a regular ski nautique . I would say about 2-3x deeper. The cost of a Walter vdrive is insane. I have worked on both types of boats. I'm not saying it's impossible- but I would not recommend it.?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 10:22am
There is no such thing as a "v-drive hull".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 10:31am
Just put a short shaft I/O in it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 10:34am
Thank Gary!

To Timmys point, isn't the infamous Ss/210 hull the same as a 97- Sport ??
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 11:00am
I think if you are excited about a really neat, almost unique project then it sounds like a cool idea. As mentioned I think the parts will add up quickly on you.

If you have the skills to take on a job like that, plus a stringer replace, then I would suggest you at least look around on various sites for a project V-drive. The early Barefoot/Excel are likely the lowest cost if you can find one, the mid '90's boats seem to hold value. If you could find a project v-drive for short money then you are working on a boat with all the parts in front of you, I have a feeling it would end up less expensive than your conversion.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by velde99 velde99 wrote:

The cost of a Walter vdrive is insane..

And would be my very last choice for a V drive. Even if I got it for free, I'd have second thoughts!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 2:45pm
Go for it!

But know that these hulls are small and narrow. You will gain a playpen, but really not gain storage or room for your soon to be growing son or daughter to bring along a friend or siblings. Compare your 2001 to even more modern malibus or MC 197s, they are way more roomy and a lot wider. So while you are shifting the dog house around, your net gain will be minimal. Also, I argue you will actually lose storage space because you can sure put a lot of equipment starboard side along the doghouse and still get around the boat. Also, with a direct you can have people ride on top of the doghouse. Do not do this with the sunpad and a closed bow at slower speeds -- carbon monoxide will be swirling on top of that sun pad.

If you all have a few kids my bet is you will be moving into something else soon down the road anyway. The lack of space is only worth it when you are a hard core skier, footer, etc.

At a minimum you will need a tower to put gear on.

If you decide to do it, take a lot of pics. I will be interested in watching your mods.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 2:56pm
Sell what you got and buy a v-drive or a larger direct drive. I don't see the financial side of your plan let alone the functionality.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 3:38pm
While I love the Idea of a big project for you, I agree with Hollywood.   This sport might be a good option for you...   Toertel's boat is known to several of the Atlanta area guys, and would likely be a nice find.

Originally posted by Toertel Toertel wrote:

OK...overdue update
As of today my next job might take me further away from the Sport....as in potentially Asia...
I'll keep you all posted but have to face reality...
So if younor someone you know is interested in a 94 Sport with new upholstery/carpet and a GT40 in it...let me know...with trailer 10k as long as she goes to a good owner
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 4:32pm
Todd
The "vdrive" hull is for reference only. It's a deep v hull if we need to be technical. A ski nautique is a toy compared to the hull of a 1991-1994 excel/BFN. I could fit a ski nautique inside my boat with room to spare. If someone is installing a vdrive, one would have to consider the bilge depth for sure! I can stand in my bilge and it comes to my about my knees. I'm confident not may correct craft models are made like that. If correct craft thought it was a good idea- they would have offered it as an option. I'm confident time/money/parts/frustration of doing a retro fit for a a v-drive would not be a winning combination. I have access to a stripped excel if he wants it!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 5:30pm
Here's a picture of some clown putting his SN into a deep vee, won't mention any names.but it starts with H and ends with d.

hull

I think it fit
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2017 at 5:41pm
👍🏻
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 3:09pm
Thanks for the input fellas. I will be sticking with the DD

I think it's better to go that route and get to use the boat. Seeing as I've already got the tower, and fat sacks set up to do what I want.

Instead of trying to force it to work. Save me a fair amount of cash in parts and not having to replace an upgraded prop, in addition to the stronger job. Maybe in the future I'll just upgrade.

For now I'll be getting to work on the stringers and have it ready for warmer months.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 4:21pm
Normally I'd agree with Chris but if you ride around with him on his 206 direct drive and then hop in the v drive with me--there's a ton more room to walk around. Chris has a little more useable space because he bought the jump seat which blocks the bow access. It's a great way to make a direct drive work better as far as space goes.

From a family perspective you can't beat the v-drive especially if you have a few guests or a cadre of boarders. I've had a total of 8 people on the v drive comfortably.

I sold my 1988 Supra direct drive because I got tired of tripping over the motor box and I love the sun pad for laying around. I also like the circular seating arrangement for conversation purposes.

If you are thinking of conversion---I'd restring it and sell it as a fresh boat then upgrade to an all-glass (after 1993 I think) vdrive. You can find a Super Sport for under $15 and slowly upgrade it. You'll enjoy fuel injection too if you avoid a carb engine. I really love the GT40 engine. It's probably the best bang for buck tow engine. Like the Python but they're kind of like race engines--and can be pricey.

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2017 at 4:27pm
Good end to this thread.
84resto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84resto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 5:53pm
I haven't been on the forum in years... I received an email today from the site and decided to login and see what was happening.   I saw this port referencing my old build.   If i can be of help let me know.   The details are starting to get a little fuzzy, its been almost 10 years.   I still have and use the boat, and still think it was the best thing i could have done to it. Much more functional.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 6:02pm
Cool! Welcome back. Any new pictures to post of your boat?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
84resto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84resto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 6:09pm
Thanks! No new pictures.   

I'm curious if anyone knows how many of these conversion have been attempted/completed.   I knew of mine and then F&F and at that point i think i fell off the forums.   Wondering if any more were built.   

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by 84resto 84resto wrote:

Thanks! No new pictures.   

I'm curious if anyone knows how many of these conversion have been attempted/completed.   I knew of mine and then F&F and at that point i think i fell off the forums.   Wondering if any more were built.   

None that I know of,   It gets talked about from time to time, but cost and labor are big prohibiting factors now with the cost of a mfg'd v-drive coming down from where it was 10 years ago.     Form and function's build was one of my favorites ever on this site, but I just don't see the cost benefit any more.   Nice to see you back 84.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic