NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

getting ready to winterize

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: getting ready to winterize
    Posted: September-28-2016 at 2:33pm
Hey all,

Ok, I picked up some ATF fluid, and am getting ready to winterize my 351 HO for the first time since I've owned it. I took some photos, and want to be sure these are ALL the drain holes I need to drain from. Also, a photo of the ATF fluid I have..and wondering if this is the correct fluid to use in my transmiision.

1. driver side of engine block

2. front of engine, under waterpump:

3. passenger side of engine (towards rear of block)

4. (2) of these, one on each exhaust manifold:

5. Here is the Transmission Fluid I've picked up (is it ok??)
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 2:53pm
How bout the drain plug on the trans cooler??   Any RWP strainer??
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 2:58pm
yep, there is a strainer back at the rear of the engine just before my Timmy T. Do I unscrew that and drain?   Where is the water drain plug on the Trans cooler??

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 3:02pm
My trans cooler drain is on the bottom rear. Unscrew strainer and drain. Also RWP says to loosen rear cover and drain, it is usually stamped on the cover.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 3:06pm
Ok, sounds good. I'll add those to the list! Also, is this the proper ATF fluid to use for refill of the transmission??

relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 3:40pm
The fluid type should be on your transmission.....I've read multiple places not to use Synthetic, mine takes Dex III, which is no longer available, so I use this:

Dex/Merc
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 3:41pm
Not the proper ATF. Skip synthetic and use conventional.

Pull the lower hose on the trans cooler, don't mess with the drain plug. The brass is too fragile. Don't forget to blow out any heater or shower cores as well.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

My trans cooler drain is on the bottom rear. Unscrew strainer and drain. Also RWP says to loosen rear cover and drain, it is usually stamped on the cover.

I suggest just pulling the low hose off the trans cooler and not using the drain plug. The trans cooler is a rather thin copper and I've seen plenty of the drains damage the coolers shell. If you do want to use the drain, you MUST double wrench. it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 3:54pm
On those drain plugs, be sure and probe the holes while open to ensure rust deposits are not obstructing the drain process. As mentioned, do not use synthetic in the trans.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:16pm
Thanks guys...Ok, I'll go get the conventional dex/merc III and take back the VI (My trans. has Dex III on the tag). Yep, I knew about probing the water outlets, did that on my previous boat is well.

I found the drain plug on the trans. cooler, but it would be a PITA to get undone..MUCH easier to loosen the lower hose. :)

I'll be doing the oil, filter change, trans fluid change, and engine fogging today yet, and then tomorrow, drain the water, and add anti-freeze. I did find some -75F RV antifreeze locally..so I am going to use that, probably better than the -50F stuff, but not quite as good as the -100F stuff, but I can't get the -100F stuff local.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:23pm
Sounds like it gets real cold where you're at...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:26pm
Just make sure the Pink is not Ethanol based, you want the Gly....... something based which is usually the 75 deg stuff

Edit: Yes HW the Propylene Glycol
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:36pm
you mean propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol?
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:37pm
Hollywood....do I detect some sarcasm???   

Also, is it 3 quarts atf for the trans?

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:41pm
Here's the Anti-Freeze I intend to use. I read the MSDS on it, and it says it's Propylene Glycol.

spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:45pm
when you drain the strainer, make sure you don't lose the "O" ring.

Like the others, I just pull the hoses from the cooler as well.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 5:10pm
I find it easier just to park the boat in a heated garage
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 5:10pm
put it in what you take out, assuming you're at the full mark to start with on the trans.

i doubt you'll get more than 2 qts
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

Also, is it 3 quarts atf for the trans?

Mine is 2qts, but check local listings on yours
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 6:20pm
Flyweed,

Someone had to do it, but thanks for bringing me down by talking about winterizing the boats. I think you just might be the first one for this season.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 8:05pm
yeah..I hate to be the first..but with mine and my wife's work schedules, and the temps in our area hitting the 50's at night, we just aren't going to be out on the water any more this year. So, putting her to bed for now.

nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 10:03pm
All of you who have to winterize your boats have my sympathy. We ride year round here in San Diego and I haven't even looked at my full suit yet. Stay warm out there!

Just another crowded day on Mission Bay.

bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

Here's the Anti-Freeze I intend to use. I read the MSDS on it, and it says it's Propylene Glycol.

Just picked some of this up at Menards. Propylene glycol indeed...Seems like all of the other ones I ran across were ethanol based.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2016 at 10:02am
On sale at Menards around here for $3.30 gal thru Saturday, cheapest I have seen.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2016 at 11:37am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

On sale at Menards around here for $3.30 gal thru Saturday, cheapest I have seen.

Yep. That's what I paid...gotta love Menards! And btw they also have VR1 20w50 on sale at Menards for $4.44 a quart (after rebate).
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2016 at 12:33pm
That's pretty good on the VR1. I just picked up a 5 quart jug at O'Reilly's for a bit over $24.00, not bad.

malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2016 at 2:32pm
I have always used the -50 ethanol based (iguess) is there a problem with it ?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2016 at 2:51pm
Auto antifreeze works good, but it needs to be collected at spring startup.   RV antifreeze can just go into the ground water without issue.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2016 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

I have always used the -50 ethanol based (iguess) is there a problem with it ?

ethanol or Ethylene?
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2016 at 3:01pm
The 50 deg stuff has ethanol, besides being flammable read that it is not healthy for the internals and can leave some nasty white clumps behind. The 75 deg stuff is not ethanol and not known to be harmful. Worth the extra Buck or Two a gallon IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic