NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1972 SN Promo Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 13>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2016 at 11:49am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2016 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Puller it is!

Tim I think I'm going to try a little sanding today just because I have the materials. Every time I look into chemical strippers I get 1000 different opinions and they're all based on knowing what type of paint is on the bottom. Beyond that they are all very expensive and not available in small quantities around here. Being on the lake Michigan shoreline there are many marinas and boat supply stores available. I've called many of them and even my friends that have sailboats. I will definitely end up trying some sort of stripper at some point but I'd like to hit it with sandpaper and see what happens.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2016 at 3:27pm
Chris,
Small quantities of strippers are available. Typically you will find them at a hobby stores or a hardware store in the hobby section. From the looks of your bottom, I'd say the black that's on there is plain oil based enamel so it should come off pretty easy so try sanding first. Several years ago, I stripped the ablative bottom paint off my X55 and it was a problem. Wanting to be "environmentally friendly", I tried a couple citrus strippers without any luck. I ended up with good old methylene chloride Zip Strip.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2016 at 4:40pm
I'm just talking about the stuff you can get at Home Depot, don't overthink this. I removed some paint from gelled scoops a few months ago and it was highly effective. If you got that much off with 800grit you're not dealing with a serious bottom paint. Wet sanding that entire hull with 800, 1000 and 1200 would not be fun.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2016 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'm just talking about the stuff you can get at Home Depot, don't overthink this. I removed some paint from gelled scoops a few months ago and it was highly effective. If you got that much off with 800grit you're not dealing with a serious bottom paint. Wet sanding that entire hull with 800, 1000 and 1200 would not be fun.

That was my point. I don't think it is bottom paint. You wouldn't want to do the entire bottom, but if it just paint, you should be able to use Acetone to test a small area to determine that. If acetone will soften it, then get some stripper. I meant to try it while it was in my garage, but never got around to doing so.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 2:52am
You guys might be on to something with this chemical process.

Video 22
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 9:47am
I can't see what you're seeing... Post a better pic?

When you start sanding through thin gel, it normally looks like little black spots showing up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 9:55am

When you start sanding through thin gel, it normally looks like little black spots showing up.

I'm seeing black spots!! Yes, Chris has sanded into the glass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Hollywood, do you still have that buffer available?

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Yes. And all the pads and compounds

Any chance I could borrow it when he is done??
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 1:59pm

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 3:13pm
Chris,
I'd have to say that the PO who painted the bottom already did some sanding especially on the transom probably in an attempt to sand out the blistering! Now, do go with the stripper since the gel is so thin.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
I'd have to say that the PO who painted the bottom already did some sanding especially on the transom probably in an attempt to sand out the blistering! Now, do go with the stripper since the gel is so thin.

Yes this certainly is a setback. Gelcoat was the ONE thing I wasn't willing to redo on this hull. I've been thinking about it for a couple of days and came to a few conclusions.

1. I may have been a little too aggressive with the sanding since I wasn't prepared for the gel to be so thin.
2. I will absolutely be looking into chemical strippers to minimize the gel loose from sanding/buffing.
3. I'll probably approach the rest of the boat with more of a 3M buffing mentality than a wet sand mentality. I'd rather have a slightly lighter orange gel than have fiberglass that needs to be patched.

I won't be able to spend any time on it until early December due to work and the holiday. I ordered a small batch of marine paint stripper to try after hitting it with a little acetone.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 9:42pm
I was gonna say if you got all that paint off sanding that was probably too aggressive. Also the hull there is a bit concave so not surprising the bottom edge of the sander received more pressure.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 9:47pm
Yea there is actually a lot more curve in that area than one would think.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 10:21pm
Chris I know these guys will not agree with me but, be very very careful with paint remover. I needed to do some paint removal on my Shamrock so I went with what was recommended on just about all Corvette forums -Captain Lees it says it doesn't harm fiberglass,it comes in a spray bottle ,non toxic,non flammable,non caustic,blah blah blah. While it may not harm fiberglass Corvette's do not have gel. It softened up the gel. I don't believe any other strippers,some which are very caustic or even any of Quinner's gyrating on it would be safe.. I will be home for Christmas ,if you would like I could send you the Captain Lee's if you'd like to try it. Maybe CC's gel is different?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 1:10am
Chris,
I've been fixing your videos so they will play back in the Forums.

When using the TUBE BBcode for your videos, just include the video code (leave off the http://youtube ...part. They your videos will play properly.

The is how is should look:

Great job! Thank you so much for sharing.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 10:56am
Gary! Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to start tryin a cocktail of strippers (that sounds awesome) until I find something that works. Only this time, I'm going to do it on the underside (Quinner try to resist). I'd love to give yours a try if we get a chance to meet up.

Thank you Keith for the fix! I'll definitely try that on the next video. The odd thing is all the videos show up on my phone and iPad, just not IE.

I'm in New Jersey for the holiday so I'll stop at the boat for some more fun in a week or so. In the meantime, happy thanksgiving everyone!!!

1999 Ski Nautique 196
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 11:58am
Strippers is a little harsh, I prefer to call them Peelers
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 7:05pm
A Frankenotter Thanksgiving:

Is that gravy, or highly toxic bottom paint stripper??? Oh well, might as well pour some on the stuffing and see how it tastes!

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 6:39pm
A little video for Chris - thanks for the help today MAN! (I meant splined, not geared...)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 7:27pm
Hahahaha. She lives!!!!!!

Thanks Papa Steve! That looked really rewarding.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 9:19pm
As you can see, Steve an I got a little time at the garage today and I was able to try a chemical stripper on the bottom paint.

Video 22

This is going to be a loooooooooooong process removing this crap.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 1:46pm
So.......after many many distractions in life, I'm back on the promo.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 12:55pm
It's February in Wisconsin, which means it can be frigid cold, warm, rainy, snowy, windy, or calm on any given day, hour, or minute. Luckily, yesterday was about 41 degrees and calm winds..........perfect for stringer and foam removal.

Video 24

I wanted to get a time lapse of the entire foam removal but it was just cold enough to kill the battery on the GoPro.

Time Lapse

The conditions were perfect so I just kept going. I was a hot mess........literally. I had the plastic suit on and the respirator and I was sweating my a$$ off. I cant even imagine doing this in the summer. I forgot to video the aftermath of the material that I removed. Among the foam, fiberglass panels, and rotten wood I managed to fill 16 large garbage bags. And that wasn't even including the 6-7 bags I took from the right side foam last week. If you're planning a stringer job, probably a good idea to research a waste removal system that will take the trash.

Video 25

The next phase is the obvious sanding and grinding.

1. What is everyone's advice as far as flap discs vs grinding wheels?

2. How much fiberglass should be removed?

3. I'm pretty sure the forward lifting ring hardware needs to be removed, but it's in bad shape. Are there replacements or is it time to fire up the old Bridgeport?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 2:12pm

3. I'm pretty sure the forward lifting ring hardware needs to be removed, but it's in bad shape. Are there replacements or is it time to fire up the old Bridgeport?

I have posted this in the past but will show again what I had to do with mine.   I bent up a replica of the lifting bracket inside the boat. I welded to the old one and then glassed in to the floor with the additional length of the new one. Also added a support angle for the new floor (pardon me--the sole)
Could have bolted it all together but the welder was handy. Several layers of glass cloth and resin after grinding the hull clean.

Original rusted brkt.

New sandwiched bracket prior to glassing
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 2:54pm
Nice! That helps. I'll get a better look at it when I grind it out tomorrow.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I have posted this in the past but will show again what I had to do with mine.   I bent up a replica of the lifting bracket inside the boat. I welded to the old one and then glassed in to the floor with the additional length of the new one. Also added a support angle for the new floor (pardon me--the sole)
Could have bolted it all together but the welder was handy. Several layers of glass cloth and resin after grinding the hull clean.

Original rusted brkt.

New sandwiched bracket prior to glassing

Duane

I must say, I'm rather disappointed that you didn't whip up some exotic bracket out of a solid chunk of aluminum or SS even if part of it is under the FLOOR
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Duane, I must say, I'm rather disappointed that you didn't whip up some exotic bracket out of a solid chunk of aluminum or SS even if part of it is under the FLOOR

KENO, Sometimes we just have to go outside our comfort zone!!!
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2017 at 7:02am
There you go...
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2017 at 10:24pm
I'm on a roll this week and got back to the boat to start the grinding. If you don't want to hear me whining and complaining about being covered in fiberglass for 10min straight, skip the next two videos. Couple of notes about today:

1. I put up the $40 and got a diamond grinding wheel for the angle grinder. I figured it was either that, thousands of harbor freight flap discs at $2 a piece, or hundreds of name brand discs for $8 a piece. So far so good. I barely put a dent in it after a solid day of use.

2. A pre-filter for the shop-vac would have been a good idea. I emptied my vac 3 times over the day and had to shake the filter out every 10min of use.

3. The hull is insanely flimsy with the stringers and foam removed. It feels like I'm going to put my hand through the side when I'm grinding.

Video 26

After the day of grinding I was cold, itchy, and had a very bad outlook on life.

Video 27
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 13>
  Share Topic