NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1972 SN Promo Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 6:52pm
Layup looks good to me (lol).

What's the 50" wide biax for? I'd likely be putting a layer or 2 of cloth on the front (sub) floor section... quicker and easier (and a lot less resin) than biax or even mat. Doesn't need any impact resistance with a ply floor going over it- just sealed up and a little strength.

I find that the narrower the tape, the more handy it is- I end up going through a lot of 2" and 4" and not a whole heck of a lot of 8" (at least beyond what my initial plans call for). Looks like plenty of all 3 for this build though.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 7:12pm
The 50" biaxial would be cut into strips. 12' for each side of the primary stringer (24" total) plus enough left over for the cap of each primary.

What type of "cloth" would you suggest for the subfloor? there seems to be 90 choices of "cloth". lol

I also need to re-glass the transom components back in. would I just use normal cloth for that as well? (I.e. - exhaust ports and transom lifting ring mount)
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 5:36pm
It's been a while since I put an update here. Summer was busy and I tired to keep a careful balance of work, skiing, and working on the promo.

I ordered the first round of supplies from US Composites so I would be ready to start glassing once the mains were shaped. Therein, lays the speed bump. I was able to finally scribe, cut, and shape the bottom of the stringer to get it within roughly 1/8" along the length of the hull.

Here you can see the left side stringer is fully shaped and the right side was in progress.

Both sides complete and now onto shaping the tops.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 5:49pm
I started shaping the stringer tops but I'm taking my sweet a$$ time to get them done correctly. As previously discussed, the lip of the old floor will act as a base for the floating floor of the new design. I wanted to make sure that there was a slight angle toward the bilge to encourage water to run to the center instead of pooling on the outsides along the sidewalls. Taking this into account with the potential thicknesses of the glass being layered on the stringer took some time. Most importantly, I wanted to make sure the height and dimension of the engine mounts were being accurately cut for the use of an engine cradle.

I have it marked up and ready for one more series of cuts that will also account for the subfloor around the driver/observer seat. Ill try ti get some video of the progress when it's all fit.

Since the temps have finally taken a nosedive here in Wisconsin, it looks like the CPES, peanutbutter, glassing process will have to wait until spring or early summer.

In the meantime, deconstruction will be commencing on this little guy.

My plan is to tear it down and get it to the machine shop sometime after the holidays. From there I can start gathering the parts needed to rebuild this summer.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 9:41pm
Cut your losses and buy the 28k boat
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 9:48pm
Chris,
The work is looking great Keep going when it gets warmer or get some heat in the garage. FYI, HD has some specials going on now for insulating 2x4 walls!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 10:50pm
Style points for color coordinating the engine stand and extension cord!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2017 at 12:49am
HW I'm going to need you to finance the $28k. I'll let you drive the boat though.

Pete the garage has big holes in the siding and he doors don't seal. I just run a torpedo heater to take the chill out of the air. No need to ventilate.

Thanks for noticing Mr. Mars. You have no idea how long I had to search for an orange extension chord
1999 Ski Nautique 196
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2017 at 9:59am
Tool Coordination
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2017 at 10:39am
That explains alot. You need still more ventilation.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2017 at 11:06am
No he doesn't.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2017 at 12:07pm
I understand
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 1:01am
Steve is a ham in a suit when the camera is on.

This is a bad discovery video.

Video 28
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 1:09am
After discovering the cracked block, I continued stripping the engine to see what parts could potentially be reused. It was a bittersweet task to continue after suffering defeat in the first inning.

Video 29

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 1:25am
Well, I don't know why the Videos aren't showing up in the main body like they used to. Something must have changed in the format. If you know what I'm missing let me know. The links at the bottom of the post should still work.

Anyway, for those that cant watch, you can see the crack in the block above the water jacket. You can also notice in the pictures that the freeze plug directly below the damaged area is popped. I guess you can use this as a lesson to at least drain your block for the winter, even if you do nothing else.

I know it's a longshot, but if anyone on the site has a 340 block they aren't using, let me know and it will go to a good home.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 2:08am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I confess. I had to look up CMU. Concrete Masonary Unit. Oh, OK, Cinder block.

Well I better grab my ink filled writing implement and get back to work. (impressed now?)

thanx Larry...I knew I could depend on you for this info...just had to wait long enough. Altho I guess I could have typed in CMU to that new goggle thing on my smarter than me phone. Patti tells me that I can find out 'anything' on my own now.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 2:59am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

thanx Larry goggle

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 3:02am
Ahh *************** it
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 10:10am
That lifter tray is awesome. Post a link of where you sourced that baby.

I will get my ear down with some of the Mopar guys on blocks and such.

EDIT: Also, post a picture of the front of that water pump housing. It looks like it may be the early housing from 69 and earlier. I thought most of the small block Mopars were Sans Circ pumps until later on?

I would imagine a RR impeller would be extra tough to source. I stock piled some of the early pumps for my car (accessories bolt to it that wont fit the later pump) but I would imagine swapping over to the newer pump in your case wouldn't be too hard since its easier to play around with accessories on a marine application. I think it was just my P/S pump that was the issue with swapping pumps. Alternator was ok.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 10:18am
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2017 at 9:35pm
Update from the land of engines.......

I am currently working under the direct tutelage of Mr. Zach who is my guide through the jungle of Mopar casting numbers and options. I have sourced a few 340 blocks in my area and now its just a matter of price and logistics. I have also been sorting through head options for the rebuild. I will dive into that subject later.

For the time being, I have focused my attention on cleaning up the engine parts that I will reuse. I'm headed to a shop tomorrow that has a sand blaster and parts cleaner to try to clean the surfaces of the 30+ years of schmoo that have gathered upon them.

I also started pressure testing the exhaust manifolds.

Video 30
1999 Ski Nautique 196
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2017 at 10:43pm
Congratulations.

Is that tub full of Miller Lite?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2017 at 10:48pm
This is kind of like re building a Sopwith Camel.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2017 at 11:10pm
Zach knows things
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2017 at 11:54pm
What's the stock HP of the 340? Is the plan to stay stock, or warmer?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2017 at 11:59pm
Colder I'll bet
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 1:43am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

This is kind of like re building a Sopwith Camel.

I think a Camel would have less corrosion and be in better shape. lol

The engine plan for now is to stay with everything original, but upgrade the heads to the coveted "swirl port". This would allow me to use the original cam, intake, and stock pistons......yet offer better flow and more HP. How much.......I'm not sure.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 1:47am
Going to need some help here boys. This water pump is baffling. I cant find anything close to a replacement online and I'm not sure how it goes together.

Video 31
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 6:04am
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Going to need some help here boys. This water pump is baffling. I cant find anything close to a replacement online and I'm not sure how it goes together.

The sound puked on my computer so I think I know what you are getting at. Anyway, a few years ago I had a very rare aluminum water pump for a ZL1 427 Chevy engine rebuilt. They completely rebuilt it for me and only ran around $50 for the whole job. You may want to look at that option.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 10:50am
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213>
  Share Topic