NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Fluid specs, etc...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Fluid specs, etc...
    Posted: June-25-2006 at 12:53pm
Ok folks, a couple of things as I am putting things back together...

My velvet drive manuals calls out Type "A" Suffix "A" ATF fluid. What replaces that fluid today that is compatible with this transmission? Nothing I see on the shelves corresponds this spec.

Also the transmission dipstick/cap does not have the 'nubs' that lock into the notches on the case, such that it doesn't "lock" when you turn it. Is this an issue? If so, where can I get the correct locking dipstick?

The engines specs Autolight APF-32 .032 gap plugs. Is this still conventional wisdom today?

I'm going to run the hotter thermstat, as recommended here for fresh water, and I'm switching over to electronic ignition.

And how the heck much oil does this 351 take with an oil change??? I be damned if I can find it in any of my manuals. Memories from a previous life are telling me 6 quarts.

thanks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2006 at 1:26pm
You can still get type A. I get mine a NAPA, they stock it because a lot of old tractors use it also.
Tim D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2006 at 1:29pm
Thanks Tim
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2006 at 1:35pm
My 302 holds 6 quarts. I bet your 351 holds that also.
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 10:29am
I think the 351W holds less than 6, more like 4 to 5 quarts.

usually, the tranny dipstick is like a plumbers plug. Just keep turning the t-handle until the rubber stopper compresses enough to hold the dipstick in place snugly.

can't you subst*tute Type III conventional tranny fluid for the original specification?
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 11:31am
my 302 may hold 4 3/4 but its probably more like 4 1/2. Jeepers Tim, whens the last time you changed your oil? Guess running six quarts keeps you from having to change that often
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 11:57am
5 quarts of oil for a 351W and a 302 or any small block motor for that much
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 12:03pm
79nautique, my 302 holds 6 quarts, regardless of what you say. That large brain doesn't know everything.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 12:39pm
tim you can go f**k yourself a**hole.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 12:49pm
Tim I know your a little slow and that you have to have someone read to you.

I would suggest you have them read you the lubrication section in the PCM service manuals in the reference section listed here and there you well see that it cleary states 5 qts. dick head

AGAIN MORE USELESS INFORMATION FROM a**hole TIM, AT LEAST IT WASN'T A FULL PAGE, FULL OF BULLsh*t LIKE HE NORMALLY POSTS.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 12:53pm
Tim:

Not saying who is right here, because I really am not sure. But, sure any engine can hold 6 or more quarts, but that does not make it the correct amount of oil. Usually, the PCM Ford powerplants hold less oil than an automotive counterpart. Therefore, if you are using an automotive dipstick, then you could be overfilling the engine.

My guess is that the angle of the engine dictates the lower oil quant*ty as stated by PCM. If more oil, than specified, is used then I would imagine HP is effected and oil foaming could become an issue. Could possibly even leak past the rear main seal.

Just FWIW. Gentlemen, be nice!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 12:55pm
Yeah I'm the slow one, and you can't spell you're.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 12:57pm
So you what's spelled wrong dick head?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 1:00pm
I'm pulling my motor out tomorrow to replace the rear seal. I'll take a picture of it so you can see. Most of the early boats had 6 quart oil pans, probably to help with engine tilt and ride angle. This motor was made before PCM was thought about. Oh, your and you're are not the same.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 1:12pm
If I where you I would not make your presence know to me if you ever see me, because if you do, you will be laying in your own pool of blood.

And as always you where wrong again it wasn't a spelling error it was a GRAMMAR error dumb ass
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 1:45pm
I believe you can go with a DexronMercon III ATF.

Also, my 351 takes about 4.5 quarts per change.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 1:49pm
I put dexron/mercron III in my 2001, and it works fine. I've been using it for 10 years, and no problems. A mechanic at white lake marina told me it was ok to use for my application.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 1:54pm
I concur with PLBC, and Skyhawk and that is the same info I got from Vince at SKIDIM when I rebuilt my tranny a couple of years ago. Type A can be hard to find and not necessary unles your a little anal about things and have to have it exactly like it states and don't believe in improvements with age and testing.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 2:39pm
i suspect that rear seal work is do to running six quarts in a 5 quart motor tilted at 15 degrees.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 3:15pm
might be.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 3:44pm
To those that responed thoughtfull and with good information, I thank you.

Off to finish things up.

thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic