Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1997 Carbon TSC

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1997 Carbon TSC
    Posted: August-30-2016 at 1:23am
Back after not posting for several years due to co. projects   

Did a bit of work to the boat recently and shot some video. I was curious as to acceleration and with my triathlon GPS in cycle mode I was able to capture the carbon TSC catapult's data.

When you strip a boat down, you kinda get 2x the gain, both inertial and for hydro drag components..

Everything is working great except my original carbon construct wasn't the best. Found a better core material that will be more durable. Swim grid is a challenge.

Skied a friends hard-core 1999 boat - no back seat, side pads etc. It was still sitting lower in the water than mine (draft wise), but much better than a stock/fully spec'd 97 setup.

carbon tsc holeshot
Carbon TSC features tour
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 11:54am
Glad to hear you're still improving it. Love the concept.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 12:03pm
Did moving the fuel tank weight forward affect the handling? If so, what did it do?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 12:15pm
Thanks for the update Paul, enjoyed reading about the project in the earlier thread. That boat certainly floats high with barely any hull in the water.

I was reading on Ball of Spray about some people putting 30-50 lbs in the bow of TSC1's, they feel it helps the wakes at ski speeds. I ski on 2 TSC's, a '97 and a '98 that a few friends have, and the wakes are outstanding as is. Maybe that weight brings them closer to a later TSC but to me it has to be a pretty subtle difference.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Did moving the fuel tank weight forward affect the handling? If so, what did it do?

I wanted a smaller tank, less hose, no brackets, proper vent valve mounting (the valve is not supposed to be mounted on its side!). To remove hull pressure at the rear of course, it makes sense to relocate to the front. 40L stock Moeller tank, just wedged in there and supported with Velcro blocks hooked into carpet.

For morning slalom runs this is spectacular. It balances the boat both front-back and side to side, offsetting the driver.   However a front tank requires that the seating be changed out and all weight removed from the front. (no glove box lid either)

For example for the kids tube party rides, get a couple of (big) kids up front and I am feeling a bit nose heavy. However I can get away with less than perfect because the hull is so high riding, It's like the air suspension cranked up on my Audi.

Handling is great too. I keep waiting for the back end to lose it ala the sea doo but it hasn't broken loose yet. It feels closer to that light and fast runabout we had when I was a kid. With weight comes that truck like feeling. I do prefer fast and light though.

We had massive wind on the weekend, 2-3 ft whitecaps. I took my boat out and was surfing it, My buddy with a stock '97 did the same and he got swamped- over the front, over the sides over the back!
SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Thanks for the update Paul, enjoyed reading about the project in the earlier thread. That boat certainly floats high with barely any hull in the water.

I was reading on Ball of Spray about some people putting 30-50 lbs in the bow of TSC1's, they feel it helps the wakes at ski speeds. I ski on 2 TSC's, a '97 and a '98 that a few friends have, and the wakes are outstanding as is. Maybe that weight brings them closer to a later TSC but to me it has to be a pretty subtle difference.

I think there is a misunderstanding about wakes. It's about the divot, hollow or dent that is created by the hull, not the actual wake itself. So as CC hacked up the TSC hull through the years, they :

- lightened the boat, and changed weight distribution
-flattened off the hull shape (no padded keel)
-moved things forward/ to center
-added lift by various methods in the hull surface design

Our lake is pure, pure water - 600++ feet deep in areas. The water is stiff and difficult to ski in. There is a lot of drag and the effect of wakes are amplified,

So weight loss reduces the down/-ve portion of the wake. By using the tabs I spread the effect of the padded keel a bit from one rooster into three.

CC designed the boat to essentially level off at full throttle, because the boat is of fixed trim design. Not what you want to do to reduce surface drag tho! Of course for top speed we need to get the bow to lift and reduce wetted surface.

However for slalom skiing we need full surface area engaged at 34-36 mph. This reduces the divot and improves skiing. So a crude, much less ideal way to do that is to add bow weight.   On a stock boat I would rather see trim tabs added to accomplish that role, assuming you are not going above say 40 mph with the tabs working.

the SN200 is an example of "spreading the load". It's a wide hull that saps more energy but produces a smaller dent. Smaller dent = happier skiers. Can't say that for it's carbon footprint.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 5:26pm
Very interesting and inspiring!
I'm a fan of low weight and good slalom

Are there any more mods under the hood for weight reduction?

Ever consider playing with a foil on the triple fins?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 5:38pm
Hey Paul, who did your top? I have a similar top minus the sides and its not quite as large... but has bought us many additional hours of ski time.

I have considered having a new one made and liked yours... it seems to hold its shape a bit better than mine... are there any battens in it? Do you get any water between your top and windshield? Mine is fine in light to medium rain and under 30mph..

Can you fire me off some closeup pics... here is what I currently have (only pic I have at work).

SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2016 at 12:56am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Engine wise - nothing I can see that would we worth the trouble (lol). I was hoping someone knew of Alum risers or manifolds that would fit.??

A shaped foil attached to the last triple fin and one perhaps on the rudder (just like a slalom ski wing but larger and shaped) . If they produced say 100-200 lbs of total lift at 55 km/h would be pretty cool. That essentially negates the driver and adds even more fuel efficiency, by reducing skin drag.

Right now we are doing about 6 slalom ski sets (3 guys x2) and a tubing set on ~20Liters of fuel. Then I have to add another 20L jerry.   
SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2016 at 12:59am
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

Hey Paul, who did your top? I have a similar top minus the sides and its not quite as large... but has bought us many additional hours of ski time.

I have considered having a new one made and liked yours... it seems to hold its shape a bit better than mine... are there any battens in it? Do you get any water between your top and windshield? Mine is fine in light to medium rain and under 30mph..

Can you fire me off some closeup pics... here is what I currently have (only pic I have at work).

My top was custom made locally here in 1999 - very much like the fishing boats on the coast. It hardly looks fast but actually doesn't impact top speed at all. Very comfortable being high enough (my wife's idea) so I don't bonk my head. It has shrunk and pulled the windshield frame up a bit from the glass.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by SharkSN SharkSN wrote:

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Engine wise - nothing I can see that would we worth the trouble (lol). I was hoping someone knew of Alum risers or manifolds that would fit.??

A shaped foil attached to the last triple fin and one perhaps on the rudder (just like a slalom ski wing but larger and shaped) . If they produced say 100-200 lbs of total lift at 55 km/h would be pretty cool. That essentially negates the driver and adds even more fuel efficiency, by reducing skin drag.

Right now we are doing about 6 slalom ski sets (3 guys x2) and a tubing set on ~20Liters of fuel. Then I have to add another 20L jerry.   

Thats good numbers!

Not myself, but some here have gotten the HiTek stainless manifolds. They appears ot have the best weight savings of anything, though pricey.

When engine time for myself, which i am overdue, replacing std 351 and going 331 with Al heads, water pump, intake, front cover.
I understand your have a competent GT40.that is no slouch, but you have the correct platform for a std rotation roller cam five-0 based engine.
But dropping 160-180 pounds or so must be enticing to someone like yourself!

Now, If you can find some old Commander stainless logs from the eighties, that could be a cost effective solution for the exhaust side.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 1:17pm
There's definitely some weight savings to be had under the doghouse, not going to be cheap though.
Fast351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 6:25pm
Plenty of aluminum heads and intakes out there that would be much lighter than stock. Going to be tough to retune the engine though. On older EEC-IV motors (which is what I believe the ECM is based off of) you could add an external EEPROM that would take over the fuel/ignition tables in the ECM itself. Good luck finding anyone that would tune that for you though. Most of those were tuned on a car dyno.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 6:31pm
the answer is obviously go carburetor
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Fast351 Fast351 wrote:

Plenty of aluminum heads and intakes out there that would be much lighter than stock.   

Yes, but then some of the weight saving would be lost if fresh water cooling is added.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 11:20pm
Why would you need fresh water cooling? Plenty of raw water cooled engines out there with aluminum heads and intakes that are doing just fine after many years and hours. Maybe if he was going to run in salt...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 9:49am
Plastic instead of glass
Plastic instead of brass
Aluminum fasteners over stainless
Hollow pylon
Aluminum tracking fins & rudder
Remove lifting rings, carpet, etc.

One could go as far as cutting off some unnecessary fiberglass from the deck...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Why would you need fresh water cooling? Plenty of raw water cooled engines out there with aluminum heads and intakes that are doing just fine after many years and hours. Maybe if he was going to run in salt...

Tim,
Note I did say "if" fresh water cooling was used. Yes, there are plenty of engines running aluminum components in contact with cooling water and without problems. Also, there are engines with aluminum that did and do have corrosion problems. Granted, these are early engines before coatings such as anodizing became the norm but also, lots of new engines are coming from the factory with fresh water systems. I feel this is both as a secondary prevention of potential corrosion as well as running higher engine temps.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 10:47am
That's nice but doesn't have anything to do with this special case. Anything resulting in a net gain wouldn't be a consideration.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 12:01pm
Good idea Hollywood, Lexan instead of glass!

Perhaps play with some rough engine estimates...

331 (302) shortblock vs 351 minus 75#
Aluminum heads   minus 40#
Intake - both are Aluminum, but 5.0 would be much less aluminum. minus 10, maybe 15#
Carb - Add 5#
Aluminum Water pump - minus 5#
Lets go full retard and use Ti intake,water pump, oil pan, bellhousing bolts ?#

Front cover, if is iron , to Al - 5#.. If now missing the raw water pump mount, go Indmar style RWP crank drive - nothing is simpler or lighter.

Some engine mounts could be recast in AL or machined from billet. ?#

5# could be taken off that flywheel, and the engine will launch with a vengeance as well.

River Rat to Mole
SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2016 at 5:14pm
It's good to get all things on the table - then assess bang for $.

Sounds kind of odd, but I prefer not to dig into an engineered mechanical package if possible - like the engine. The thing I would look at is the exhaust parts - starting with possibly the risers.

Also safety is always a concern. Will an aluminum rudder stand-up? Is there such a thing. You know that stuff made from a alu-core carbon would be really cool/tougher imo.

My furniture changes plus delete of options & panels etc removed about 450 lbs +/- of stuff. All zero costs except for manufacture and getting the smaller tank.

The teak grid is like 33lbs- at the worst place, I just made a new one in an evening or two, for 16lbs, With same format and core composite I could get that down to 10lbs I think.
Check it out:
https://twitter.com/WaterskiFM/status/773960140600901632

My next step is to replace my shop made trim tabs with smart tabs from Nauticus. Jay in our shop has a set they are working great. Also I might try hydrofoils - would take a couple of hours to make in the shop - Carbon over aluminum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic