NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 ford no spark

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 2:12pm
Wade,
Follow the positive wire on the coil back to a rectangular ceramic block. That's the ballast resistor. It's there to reduce the 12 volt nominal to about 9 volts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by wadeonminnetonka wadeonminnetonka wrote:

Hey,

I forgot to add. The engine has a mallory ignition.

Wade

Since the distributor has a EI, disconnect the negative wire from the coil. This will give you the best voltage reading to the coil just in case the EI is shunted to ground.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wadeonminnetonka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeonminnetonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 2:05pm
Pete,

Thanks a million. By the way, your video on how to align the shaft and strut were very helpful for us.

I am a carpenter, not a mechanic, which is why the stringer R&R went well.

I don't know what a ballast resistor is. If you can give me a little more to go on, that would be great.

Thank you,

Wade
wade
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 1:59pm
Wade,
Continue with testing the volts to the coil. I'd start at the ignition key switch at the R terminal. Then to the ballast resistor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeonminnetonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 1:57pm
Hey,

I forgot to add. The engine has a mallory ignition.

Wade
wade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeonminnetonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 1:52pm
Hello,

My daughter has a 1972 Mustang with a ford 302. We replaced the stringers this sumer. It went very well. She is going back to college on Friday and the summer would end better if we could actually get her boat running before she left. She is studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wyoming.

Fired it up in the driveway yesterday and it ran great.

Took it out for a water test this morning, and it ran rough.

Then we left the dock, and I took it up on a plane, and as soon as there was a load on the motor it shut off and would not restart.

Brought it back to the driveway.

Removed the fuel hose at the carb, and cranked the ignition, gas pumped out. When I cycle the throttle, you can see the accelerator pump squirt gas in the carb.

Switched the coil with a spare. Did not start.

With the ignition on, but not cranking, there is no voltage on the positive side of the coil.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Wade
wade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic