Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

violent vibration over 2000 rpm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: violent vibration over 2000 rpm
    Posted: August-13-2016 at 7:52pm
'94 Ski Nautique, 351W with throttle body injection, idles well, runs smoothly up to about 2000 rpm and then proceeds to vibrate violently, almost like it's running on only 1/2 of the V-8, as you increase the speed. When I give it full throttle it accelerates quickly and smoothly for a few seconds and then dies back to a slower speed. I just changed all of the spark plugs. There's no water apparent in the oil. Oil pressure and water temp seem normal. I don't believe the prop or shaft are bent which would be evident at idle to 2000 rpm or on full acceleration.

The next thing I'm going to check is if all four injectors are spraying fuel as the throttle is applied. Like I said, it feels like only 1/2 of the engine is running when it starts to vibrate violently.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2016 at 8:22pm
check to see if you have all your plug wires in the right order?   sounds like you have 2 reversed.    My motor does this currently (see my engine rebuild questions) but it is due to the 4 and 8 cylinders being at 80PSI compression...
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2016 at 9:30pm
Might it be contaminated fuel as my daughter had just installed ten gallons?

If plug wires were crossed wouldn't it run poorly through out the rpm range?
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2016 at 10:53pm
I installed the new plugs AFTER the first episode of this problem.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2016 at 11:11pm
Check the distributor cap for moisture and corrosion
This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2016 at 11:12pm
Bad fuel would be bad at all rpms
This is the life
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2016 at 3:32am
Since you have a 94 with TBI, it could be the ProTec ignition module finally going bad. If that's the case, your best bet is going to be converting it back to a carb with a conventional distributor and coil as ProTec replacement parts are nonexistant. I got rid of the ProTec on my 94 a few years ago and it's never run better. Lots of other members have done the same swap with great success.
judyfifacoins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judyfifacoins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2016 at 4:10am
Euro extremely membership CSGO Skins CSKA Moscow within the membership 4 many years within Musa CSKA performed an overall total associated with 125 category video games rating forty two objectives, assisting the actual group earn 3 times CSGO knives the actual Euro Extremely Category champ and something Euro Mug.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2016 at 8:26am
Bob,
Does it run rough with no load as well as under load?
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Since you have a 94 with TBI, it could be the ProTec ignition module finally going bad. .

I agree with Brian that the Pro Tech would be suspect. I feel you may get some indication of an ignition issue by using a timing light above the 2000 when it starts to run rough.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2016 at 9:58pm
Looks like you have several threads going. Is the red dash light still on? If so you are probably in limp mode which may be causing the vibration. If your gauges indicate that you are not overheating and have good oil pressure then you probably have a bad switch. I would disconnect both the oil pressure and temp switches on the engine and see if the problem goes away. The protec will go to limp mode if either of the switches activate.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2016 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Looks like you have several threads going. Is the red dash light still on? .

Bob,
Here's your thread on the warning light
I suggest keeping like problems together in one thread since they may actually be the same problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 2:45am
Two different boats.

'94 Ski Nautique, 351W, TBI, Protec, no red light, severe vibration above 2800 rpm, probably going into Limp Mode and or Protec failing.

'95 Sport Nautique, 351W, GT-40, multiport EFI, occasional red warning light on dash but everything else seems good, i.e. runs perfectly.

I'll try disconnecting oil press and temp switches on the '94 tomorrow to see what that does before ordering a distributor and carb.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 11:53am
Also, the protec module needs good battery voltage at the input or it won't function correctly. Check the voltage at the 12.5A breaker on the back of the engine. It should be close to battery voltage. If it's low then you probably have some IR voltage drop through the dash wiring.
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 6:00pm
Problem solved....see THANK YOU 2800 rpm vibration solved.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 6:20pm
making it easier to finish the thread.

Originally posted by 1xsculler 1xsculler wrote:

'94 SN test run = total success. I disconnected both water temp senders and both oil pressure senders and the motor never ran better and zero vibration or cutout at 2800 rpm. So, I reconnected them one at a time and isolated the problem to the smaller of the oil pressure senders which I hadn't noticed had also sprung a little leak. It was obviously putting the computer into Limp Mode.

You guys saved me from converting to a carb and distributor for now at least.

Thank you very much!

-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic