NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Hub/Axle Guidance

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

you could see the tire was way out of balance.

I can't, you must be like super human.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

you could see the tire was way out of balance.

I can't, you must be like super human.

I don't even see a picture of any tires! Did I miss a link to extra pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 12:43am
"I can't, you must be like super human."

Haven't you ever gone down the road following a car or trailer with one wheel bouncing?

I have no idea if this guys trailer had balanced tires or not I just responded to a comment that someone made about this trailer bouncing going down the road.

In my younger life we went on a long haul with our trailer and un balanced tires, one of the fenders broke at the welds from the tire shaking it.   I saw it moving on the trailer and pulled over. Pulled the formerly welded on fender off and put it in the back of the car. Welded it back on when we got home and never had another issue with it.   I have balanced trailer tires ever since even though tire shops tell me it is not needed on Trailer tires.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 11:08am
took a quick peek at the wheels last night, and both rims had weights on them, so at some point they were balanced. That's not to say that they are still balanced though. There is a tire place on my route to work, so it won't be hard to just have them rebalance them.

Went ahead and ordered new springs with bolts and shackles. I ended up ditching the monospring and opted for the 5-leaf. I'm glad I did as the bushings were toast (probably what was causing the squeaking. We'll see how it rides with all the new parts. a couple more weeks to go.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 11:43am
+1 on the 151 route north of Madison. On the way to green lake last month I couldn't wait to get off of that road.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 11:57am
We notice that stretch of road being awful even without the boat behind. I like the security of the traffic on 151 if there is a problem, but really like 26 from Janesville to FDL for the ride.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 12:13pm

A lot of people do not balance trailer tires. I think this is a big mistake.

The couple times I have bought and mounted tires, the shops have insisted that they do not need to be balanced. One was a trailer shop and the other a tire shop. I just bought 2 radials at a tire shop and the guy insisted it was a waste of money. Seems like if you're going to tow at 75 mph, it's not a bad idea.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 12:20pm
Bruce,
The last set of tires I bought was for my utility trailer. Tires-r-us insisted balancing was needed and did balance them. Different philosophy east to Midwest? BTW, no extra charge since the balancing was built into the cost.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 3:13pm
I've never not balanced any tire that goes down the highway
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 5:34pm
Michigan Roads are the worst roads I have encountered in the entire country.
I was amazed we got out of Michigan with no damage to the car or trailer.
Some of your pot holes on the freeway could eat a small car.   I towed through in May maybe before the frost heaves got fixed?   From Chicago when entering Michigan the road conditions went off the charts terrible. I have to believe IL has the same weather challenges as Michigan why are the roads so much better.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 6:10pm
94 North into Michigan is now all under construction, perhaps you ran thru there just before they started repairing. In my experience Southern and Western Michigan roads are generally pretty decent. In the winter they use a sand with aggregate that really tears up the front of your vehicle thouigh, Illinois is all salt that is cancerous to your vehicles.

My trailer tires are round, I like them that way.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

My head is square but My trailer tires are round, I like them that way.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2016 at 9:55am
Not balancing tires doesn't make sense. I am sure everyone has been in or heard someone say their vehicle bounces at one speed , but it is not as bad just faster or slower. You have just discovered the natural frequency. That will shake your trailer to pieces.
'92 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2016 at 11:44am
I have 4 boat trailers,2 of them still have the original tires and wheels that came on them, none are balanced. Did some googling and found out why. If not done the correct way you just may be fooling yourself---

None of our tire and wheel assemblies come balanced from the factory.

Although some customers do insist upon balancing their trailer tires most (98%) do not. Trailer tires have a tendency to "throw weights". Meaning the weights come off the wheels. This can happen for a number of reasons, but it is not uncommon for the weights to be thrown off when towing a trailer empty (the trailer bounces excessively b/c of the no load conditions) or when making very tight turns on tandem or tri axle trailers.

Furthermore, galvanized trailer wheels are not designed to be balanced. When the steel wheel is dipped into the vat of molten galvanized and then pulled out, some of the liquid zinc always accumulates on one end. Which makes galvanized wheels incredibly difficult to balance. But the galvanized coating does provide one of the best corrosion resistance to harsh environments such as salt water.

Most automotive centers are not equipped with the proper wheel balancing machine to correctly balance most trailer wheels. All of our trailer wheels are a lug centric design. Meaning, that the wheels are centered on the hub by the torque of the lug nuts. Most/many automotive wheels are a hub centric design. Many automotive centers use a computerized "cone" balancer which works great on hub centric wheels, but not on lug centric trailer wheels. In order to balance trailer wheels, an adapter must be used on the cone balancer to correctly balance trailer rims. Check with your automotive center to see if they keep the adapter on hand.

original link

explaination of hub centered vs lug centered wheels
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 12:04pm
Thanks Gary!

It was quite amusing, I had finished reading your post when a patient walked in who is in the tire business. I prompted the discussion by asking him to settle a debate as to should one balance trailer tires. With no help from me, he almost quoted what Dexter wrote verbatim. The only thing different he said, was that due to the press on wts being thrown off, if someone was insistent on having them balanced, he would use adhesive wts. He also went further to say that he feels that with the industry getting better and more precise, the wheels are being shipped closer to balance specs (the same with the tires). He generally only balances car tires, but will do it (and even mentioned how he would have to use a different setup for "lug centric" balancing) if it is requested. He does agree that not balancing them will decrease their life if the trailer is being hulled many continuous miles, but not by a noticeable difference.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 3:03pm
Just to round out this thread, the new axle, springs, and tire are back on and ready for the weekend.

I ended up getting a 6000# heavy duty Dexter Axle with custom V-bend, EZ lube, Free-Backing, 6 on 5.5, Fully assembled. I went with 2500# leaf springs (i figured 2k was pushing the limit with the tower and gear). Strange how much bigger the new axle is compared to the original.

The downside, the axle was going to go from Dexter to Redneck to Ekquist Trailers to me. Well, it didn't make the weekly delivery truck from Redneck to Ekquist, so I embarked on a 5 hour road trip to pick it up myself. I'm glad they were willing to let me do that.

Once I got home and proceeded with the install, I realized they put the spring perches on the bottom instead of the top. Well, as the discussion from above already points out, the trailer dropped ~4". Due to the drop, it also puts the axle itself back into the equation for fin clearance, essentially making it the same as if it was a straight axle. We will find out this weekend if it is a problem, we'll just have to load carefully a couple times. The dropped height ended up causing the prop guard hit in a couple spots when pulling out of the drive. It also forced us to temporarily modify the fenders until new ones can be made. On the plus side, the lower trailer means the tower doesn't graze the garage door when putting it away.

As you can see from the photos, one of the fender supports is pretty bent, so I will work on straightening that once the boat is back in the water and I can heat it up safely. Other than that the process was pretty easy. Thanks for all the help figuring out what I needed and how to go about fixing it. Bravo to CCF once again!

-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 3:32pm
So you're going to get new fenders instead of having the spring perches fixed? How much articulation do you have before the tire meets the fender support?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 4:48pm
HW, The fenders are pretty much shot. If you look at the first picture in this thread you can see that the flanges are about to fall off. So I could either reinforce them, or just get new fenders. My neighbor works for a semi-truck repair shop and said he would do the fabricating for me.

IF the boat/trailering ends up being fine with the bottom perches, then the new fenders will be made accordingly for the extra height. i had to add a 2 1/4" spacer to give me about 3/4" clearance from top of tire to bottom of fender.

IF having the perches below do prove to be an issue, I will pull the axle and have someone move the perches to the top which will allow us to use the original fenders as templates. I didn't take any closeup pics of the fenders since they look like garbage now.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 6:26pm
I think you'll regret not putting the axle under the leafs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 6:44pm
i think you are right...im just hoping i can get by until the end of the season so it can be switched over the winter. It scraped pretty badly getting out of our back drive. Figured it would scrape pulling into the front drive but it had about an inch to spare.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 1:42pm
Well after launching/receiving everyday this weekend, I'm pleased to say the lower height did not cause any issues. Unless we start to have issues with it bottoming out, I think we are going to leave it be. No reason to go through the expense unless it becomes a problem.

Pros: Can back entire trailer in to wet the bunks. More visibility while driving. Better clearance for storage. Easier to clean transom. Easier to load gear (not that this was really a problem).

Cons: Less clearance for prop guard with incline changes.

As far as the fenders are concerned, I think I'm gonna stick with the original dimensions and continue to use the spacers. I know for some it might look odd/tacky, but that will give me the option to move the perches at a later time if the need arises.

-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
hongguang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hongguang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2016 at 3:35am
Rs gold is a MMO Runescape Gold service company of professional Runescape gold online trading experience several years ago.You can buy MMO game products what you need,including Cheap OSRS Gold, 07 RS Gold, OSRS Deadman Gold, Runescape Gold, SWTOR Credits, Neverwinter Astral diamonds and so on.

1.Get the best service with 24/7 Live Chat Help on RS 07gold.

2.100% safe ordering from us.

3.Enjoy Deadman Gold's amazing promotions.

4.RSgoldfast.com offers cheapest game products with delivery instantly.

5.We support safe payment methods like: PayPal , Paysafecard , Western Union and so on.

http://www.rsgoldfast.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic