Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Hesitates

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Hesitates
    Posted: June-19-2006 at 10:15am
I was driving my 1998 Nautique on Saturday, and once when I started and twice while I was cruising it seemed to loose power for about 2 seconds the regain power. Would it be my fuel filter. When I bought it in April it was full of gas from the year before, I put a little bit of new gas in it but it is mostly old gas. Anything I can try? Other than this it ran great!!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 10:17am
Do you know if the old gas had stabilizer put in it?
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 10:20am
I'am not sure if it did have stabilizer put in it?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 10:25am
I would add some fuel injector cleaner and run the gas down low, refill and see if it continues.
Tim D
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 10:26am
Any way to contact the owner to find out if he put stabilizer in it? If not then I'd either drain it and put fresh in it or top it off with fresh gas and go out on an all day cruise. It could also be the fuel filter but I'd try running out the old gas first.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 10:27am
It probably had about 5 gallons of new gas in the tank when I took it out. It is about half full know, should I run premium in it to top off the tank?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 10:39am
If the boat's new to you then do a complete tune-up so that you know the state and age of the parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 12:00pm
The boat just had a complete tune up about 100 hours ago. It has a rebuilt engine? There not sure if it had fuel stabilizer put in it? They are thinking it didn't.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 12:41pm
100 hours is about two season's and two oil changes so I say it still needs tuned-up especially if the boat is new to you other wise you can keep chasing your tail.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 12:43pm
After you burn the old gas, then change the fuel-water separator.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 12:56pm
Where would I find one of these units? Is it located right under the FCC.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 10:29pm
It should look like an oil filter like this.

or it may be this style.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 11:40pm
Where do I order one from?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 12:48pm
If it's like the top photo you can get one at NAPA, the bottom filter at skidim.com or whitelake.com
Tim D
RogerT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:41pm
Just got my boat back from my mechanic. Turns out it was a fuel pump relay switch going bad. Runing like a top now.
RogerT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 10:24am
How much is a fuel pump relay switch? Are they hard to replace? Where are they located on the boat?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic