Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which boat should I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 10:50pm
Beautiful boat that looks nearly new. And that photo with the kids is a perfect Father's Day post!
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2016 at 11:56pm
Congrats on the new boat! Looks awesome, enjoy! I can tell those kids are. For me that makes the expense & work well worth it.
'92 Sport Nautique
Captain Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 12:26am
Sweet looking boat. I dig the graphics colors and the style of the 92 SN that you bought. In such mint condition as well.
Live life to the fullest!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 1:18am
awesome... great thread..thanx for taking us along for the ride.

now take that crew out on the Bay & make memories!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 2:31am
That boat looks mint, congrats! How many hours are on it?
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 6:03am
I think he said 1000 hours. Shows how indoor and covered storage makes a difference in condition. Owner care sure seems awesome.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 11:17am
Welcome to the wood stringer club! Those stringers are just fine.

The boy looks not happy?
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 11:24am
I am not sure why some people think so highly of dealer maintained boats. A meticulous, knowledgeable owner reluctantly selling one of his boats is the jackpot for sure!

I guessing when Dave rolled up on the guys property with everything in order dock/lift/roof/nice shop all tools away etc he knew these were going to be the two cleanest boats he would see on his journey by far! Obviously before the owner acquired that python, The owner had the 92 on lift under canopy when not buttoned up in his shop.

If Dave bought that python there was no doubt the 92 would have been back out on the lift!

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by dmudave dmudave wrote:

The owner of the Python happened to tell me that he had two Nautiques. His plan was to sell the Python and use his 1992 Ski Nautique until he decided on something different.
dmudave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmudave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 11:38am
It does have just over 1000 hours.

Andrew is correct. I had seen enough boats already to recognize the great condition that these were it.

I will hopefully catch you on the lake. I am debating towing it down for the weekend of the 4th.... But that place is a zoo that weekend. I may pass.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 1:10pm
Dave, don't sweat the wood and the hours! All the signs are there that you got a great well kept boat with tons of life left! My Dad's carbureted 83 MC has 1,300 hours and is turn key and super reliable.

Yeah... I hear you on DCL... I debate going for same reasons everytime LOL. But I have gone since before the trophy homes etc and keep going. We have a blast every trip down and the fireworks from boat are fun for kids. We will be there with 6 little ones 4-10 that week.

while bimini tops don't enhance looks and mine (dodger looking thing) has to be the most hideous one of all, they are great for getting some alone time on the lake during those light rains!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The boy looks not happy?

I think that look is "are you serious? I can't get a license for 10 more years? I could drive this thing right now!"
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 2:24pm
Awesome boat! congratulations on a great find.    The 94 you looked at was my boat's twin, and with its condition, I think you dodged a financial bullet.   

geezer cream
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 2:51pm
Excellent choice! That boat looks exceptional. I wouldn't worry about the stringers at all. The one thing I would do is check for the dash voltage drop wiring problem. Turn on the key and then turn on the navigation lights. If the gauges jump then you will probably want to address the power and grounding at some point. I have 1500 hours on my Protec and it has been almost trouble free. It went to limp mode a few times after I first got it but I installed additional power and ground wires between the engine and dash and a wire from the output of the ignition breaker on the right side of the dash over to the input to the key switch and haven't had a problem since.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 7:54pm
Nice boat. Your buy was a solid investment. Those kids will remember the boat the rest of their lives.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 1:09pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I used to slalom ski a good bit, but I have been out of the game for about 10 years. I am 35. I didn't ever get proficient at footing.

I am looking for a nice reliable boat to take around on the Sandusky Bay, teach the kids to ski, and do some skiing myself. I also plan to tow it to a lake in Maryland I frequent a few times each summer. Going fast is not a big need.... But it is always fun to get moving every once in a while.

Is that your listing I presume?

Dave congratulations on the boat, she looks very clean. It is great to have another nautique in the area. I live in downtown Sandusky and put in at the Shelby street launch all of the time and run over to sandbar with my wife and son. If you every see a model year 2001 SN, the one with the big N down the side, running around the bay flag me down and say hi. My boat is navy and white.

Also, I a ski with a group that used to put the course in between the two bridges in the bay. However, about 14 years ago we moved to a private site out in Milan. If you ever want to get a slalom pull on great water, let me know. I would be more then happy to take you out.

dmudave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmudave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 8:21pm
Thanks! I will keep an eye out.

I have been eyeing that stretch of water between Bay View and the bridge every time I have driven by this week. Let me practice up a bit and I may be in touch about a pull.

I can't wait to get out on the water. I am on call for work until Monday.

Trailering is likely the best bet in the area right? Marina parking will likely foul the bottom pretty quickly. Do you know of a marina with covered storage and a ramp in the area? It is that or kick my wife out if the garage.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:58am
Get yourself a fresh sunbrella cover with sides (Angola, skiboatcovers, custom) and it'll be fine outside.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 1:13am
Garage... though... might wanna give wife the spot in winter ;)
dmudave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmudave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 1:47am
A cover with sides... Not a bad idea.

I like our mooring cover just fine but I have been looking into a cover sports sunbrella cover. No poles. http://www.coversports.net/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

I also picked up my sunbrella Bimini top. It should be in the mail.

It has been nice having a little $ left over.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 9:10am
Awesome boat, incredible find. You did well there. In 92 they offered a lifetime warranty on stringers (to the original owner only) so that people would still buy them knowing that in 93 they were going composite. As such I wonder if they put a little extra care into bedding the stringers in that year!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:32am

Thanks! I will keep an eye out.

I have been eyeing that stretch of water between Bay View and the bridge every time I have driven by this week. Let me practice up a bit and I may be in touch about a pull.

I can't wait to get out on the water. I am on call for work until Monday.

Trailering is likely the best bet in the area right? Marina parking will likely foul the bottom pretty quickly. Do you know of a marina with covered storage and a ramp in the area? It is that or kick my wife out if the garage.

You are welcome! Unless you can find someone to rent a boat house from, there is not really any covered dockage that I know of. Unless you plan to paint the bottom leaving it in the water for any extended period of time, would not be very good for it.

The only free public ramp in the Sandusky area that I know of, is the Shelby Street launch. I know that Battery Park has a ramp, but I think that is only for members. As for places in Huron, there are a few marinas that have public ramps. A friend of mine uses the one out at the campground that is out on River Rd. We wakeboard back there sometimes, since he comes out from Cleveland with his boat. If you are wanting to put in closer to the bridges, you can put in at the marina over in Bayview.

When the boat comes home from storage in the spring, my wife loses her garage spot until the fall when the boat goes back in storage. I am hoping that someday she is going to tell me to build a three car garage.
dmudave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmudave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 1:16pm
Thanks for the info.

Last question I think. Who do you take your boat to if it needs work? Anyone you trust with your Nautique over others?

Ajskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 2:18pm

Thanks for the info.

Last question I think. Who do you take your boat to if it needs work? Anyone you trust with your Nautique over others?

No problem at all. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions. I know these boats are not that popular in our area, so if I can help out in anyway, I am happy to do so.

Fortunately, I have not had to find a shop yet to work on it. Last year my fuel pump went out and I was able to diagnose the issue with the help of the folks on here and fixed it myself. These engines are pretty straight forward, so if you have a little bit of wrench turning skills, you can do almost everything yourself. However, there is a shop over in the Kent area that I have heard good things about, they used to be a nautique dealer, but they are not anymore. The head mechanic from that time is still there though, so he knows his stuff when it comes to these boats. However, locally I haven't really searched for a PCM mechanic.

If you run into an issue that you feel you need a mechanic for, my brother is good friends with the people who own Brands Marina over in PC, they might be able to recommend someone.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 8:08pm
Great find and you did good.

Welcome to TEAM RED.

Hey, I have some of that Geezer Cream on my Boat and I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!
(Dark Red, Zepher, Geezer Cream)

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 9:00pm
Late to the party, but I add another - "Well Done!"

Gotta love those early 90's Red and Black Nautiques........
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 2:04pm
Nice! super nice boat! welcome to the 92 club!
Congrats!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 2:08pm
which engine set up? base 240hp o pro boss 285hp?

either way both engine have plenty of power,

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 4:00pm
Nice boat. Super clean. Congratulations.

We sold our '92 with over 1800 hours on her and she ran flawlessly.

I always liked the looks of the slant backs.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
dmudave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmudave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 1:38am
It is the base 240 hp.

Thanks again everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic