NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Look what I made

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look what I made
    Posted: June-16-2006 at 10:50am
This is a copy of the old style emblem I made this morning. Now I need some chrome paint.
Tim D
Cheaterpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheaterpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 11:09am
look very cool!!!

Can you make other? and sell it to me?

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 11:27am
Looks nice. Wish I had the tools and talent to do something like that. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 11:37am
Tim: Looks awesome! I could use a couple for the '80 if you are thinking of makin' them.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 12:52pm
looks great. i made some of the mid seventies version from some stuff i pick up from US composites. With mine i had some problem with them sagging a little in the heat and i subsequently had to put some fairly heavy fiberglass cloth on the back to remedy the problem. I used them till this year when i switched out to the black and chrome version. Im not saying you going to have problems just letting you know that i did.

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 1:46pm
How did you make it? That's freakin' awesome.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 5:53pm
Ancient Chinese secret. Here it is again with some cheap wal-mart silver paint I found in the garage. I need to try some of that almost chrome spray.

It's a white plastic, but flexible. I need to leave it out in the sun and see what effect the heat can cause.
Tim D
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 10:29pm
Nice job Tim D!!!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2006 at 11:57pm
Tim,
Looks great! How did you cut it? cnc?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 12:53am
No cutting going on here. I made a mold from one of my emblems and did a casting from it. I have been wanting to do this for a while and from what I've seen on ebay, there's a demand for these things.
Tim D
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 4:53am
Hey, that's pretty nice !!! Hell while I'm here in China, I should just have some of my buddies tool up and make some zinc die cast and have his buddy chrome them??

Moj'
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2006 at 7:55am
Tim,

FYI, I used urethane mold rubber and easy flow 60, I think if you do sag you could probably use a little emblem glue. Thats what i should have done. Let me know how it works out.
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2006 at 1:11pm
Hi Tim
Nice Job
Any plans to make more. ( To Sell )
If so let us know
I only have one emblem with the r cracked off it.
Otherwise I will have to do the same as you have.

Regards
Rob McDonald
Australia
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2006 at 2:01pm
Hey, Remember building "Model Cars" they had chrome plated plastic parts.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 7:05pm
OK, I made three pair today. Let me know if you want some.
Tim D
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 10:21pm
Hey Tim they look good. What is a pair going for?
Greg

86 BFN
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 11:22pm
How does $40 a pair sound and $4 shipping in the US?
Tim D
Cheaterpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheaterpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 2:45am
Ok for me! I take one pair!

Do you take paypal?
Please send me an invoice at cheaterpete@gmail.com

Shipping would be more expensive to switzerland...

thanks Tim
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 12:23pm
Tim:

Do a search in Google: "chrome plating plastic" You will find a ton of companies that do it.

I have found that chrome paint is garbage, but maybe with a heavy coat of clear it will hold up for a season or two.

The emblems look fantastic, great job.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 12:53pm
Well when you put a coat of clear on that chrome paint, it then looks like silver paint.
Tim D
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Well when you put a coat of clear on that chrome paint, it then looks like silver paint.

I found that out the hard way too! on my kids swingarm on his little trike we were building for ice racing. Boy, that peed me off! LOL. looked more like gray primer to me!
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 4:43pm
I can check around and see what it would run to can get them chrome plated for you, I'm pretty sure they pull the tanks at the plant but my buddy works with alot of outside vendors for that type of work.

It's very common in the headlight industry. What type of plastic was used to make them from?

just don't tell me it's teflon because you'll most likely be SOL if it is.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 5:15pm
It is a polyurethane elastomer.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 8:09am
Tim can you use a different material and have them come out look the same? Not sure the type of molding process your using but I'm pretty sure polyurethane is not plateable, it's a little too flexable and would just crack after words.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:19am
I'm waiting for a reply from a plastic chromer on the price and if it can be done.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:23am
it's not a problem chrome plating plastic you just have to use the correct material and urethane isn't one of them I don't think. I'll check with me guy's and see what the say.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:49am
Well they also wanted to know if the finish was slick, was it going on a boat and is it a one-off or a production run.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 9:55am
I'm not an expert by any means but I know a lot of people that work in the automotive lighting industry and they plate stuff all of the time and I believe they need a slight texture to the plastic so that the first layer of the plating process adhires to the plastic and as it builds up and the other layers are added it smoothes out and then when it gets polished it's smoothed out the rest of the way. If they still have a plating tank at the plant then I might be able to get it done extremely cheap.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 10:48am
Tim I was told it needs to be made from ABS or Norel to be able to be plated.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2006 at 10:58am
Well that may cause the silver metallic paint to look pretty good. I don't know if I can cast ABS or Norel. I'll have to do some research. I haven't heard from the chromer yet, he's in Cali, probably still asleep.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic