NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EFI GT40 HElP and opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EFI GT40 HElP and opinions
    Posted: May-30-2016 at 9:48am
Originally posted by ChrisNautique ChrisNautique wrote:

How funny

Yes, funny since you seem to have the same problem I have at times. I think the acronym is "ADD"!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ChrisNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 8:28am
How funny
Chris
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 2:30pm
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 2:08pm
No fuse. No AND THEN!!

https://youtu.be/GKNX6dieVcc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 1:24pm
What type and size fuse
Chris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 8:59am
Originally posted by ChrisNautique ChrisNautique wrote:

what size fuse?

Originally posted by jellison jellison wrote:

problem solved!!!!!!!! it was the fuse. put a new one in to hold us over till after memorial day and then i will do the fuse delete as shown above! .

Chris,
Note that the solution is deleting the fuse. Go back in this thread to the link to the complete thread regarding removing the fuse.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 8:34am
what size fuse?
Chris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Joel found out about it,Mark did a write up here

Gary,
Thanks. Interesting thread! Mark sure is our guy to investigate and come up with the solution. PCM or CC must have had their wiz "EE" on the original wiring/fusing!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 10:36am
Joel found out about it,Mark did a write up here
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 9:39am
Has anyone heard why the fuse is blowing? There's always a reason for blown fuses. What other overcurrent protection is there for the EEC after the fuse is eliminated?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 9:11am
Great that you found the fix

I added this one to the:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PN=1&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis thread.

I put the fix in the row in the spreadsheet next to:

Fused Line in Batt
Box For EEC Power
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 10:08pm
im so grateful. this forum just saved my memorial day :)
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 10:08pm

problem solved!!!!!!!! it was the fuse. put a new one in to hold us over till after memorial day and then i will do the fuse delete as shown above! .

Jason,
I sure hold you inform that "mechanic" you took it to and couldn't figure out the problem!

BTW, did he work out of his back yard?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 9:04pm
Victory. Simplest cheapest fix besides the lanyard
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 6:13pm
GT-40s have a 160. Carb'd usually 143.

Great to see your problem solved so quickly! Go Lewy
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 5:26pm
problem solved!!!!!!!! it was the fuse. put a new one in to hold us over till after memorial day and then i will do the fuse delete as shown above!

you guys are amazing. Big thanks to Lewy!

On more question though.... what is the normal running temp of a GT40? I have replaced all the sending units and i think i have a bad gauge. I hooked up a manual gauge on top of the manifold and it seems to be holding a steady 160 ish.....

Impeller is new so it is not that.
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 5:24pm
Then just look for smoke!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 4:26pm
Fuses should always ohm out at "0" or near... they are a current path and should provide no resistance if they are good.   if they are bad (as you have discovered) they are open and provide infinite resistance.   I believe the retrofit is to remove the fuse, (connect the two sides of the fuse wire, removing the fusing path.   they do make blade style fuses as well that have a waterproof enclosure.   

jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 12:13am
just tested the fuse.... looks to be dead. multimeter is not moving at all. tested three fuses that i know are brand new and good and the meter moves to zero.

i think you guys might be right.... this fuse could be bad.....

I will repost tomorrow afternoon when i get off work at 1.

thanks for all the help guys!
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2016 at 12:00am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Yea your crazy to want to convert. You just have to learn a new skill. If your cell phone quits you go get help, you don't go and get a land line

LOL....one of the reasons we are retired....not much use for twisted copper anymore.

One thing for sure....everytime I read one of these threads I am all the more thankful for my partner Eddie...
john

It's going to be soon that you'll see more problems like these,the newest Ford being something like 14 years old already. Pretty soon even the dealers won't have anyone who knows them either. Mark will be in demand with what he has done with them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 11:40pm

i just read that thread lewy posted and it looks like that fuse would keep power from making it to the eec which im guessing would keep the pumps from priming and prevent the coil from sending spark to the dist.

You are correct. Mine is an all black wire,when I first got the boat,I repaired all the battery terminal ends. I hooked that black wire to the - side of the battery and no start. Quinner comes over and says why does a wire on the - side have a fuse? Well duh!
Looking at a good fuse on the ohm scale it should read the same as when you touch both leads together. If the fuse is blown it would read the same as if the leads do not touch.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 11:33pm
doesnt look blown. testing resistance with a multimeter now and getting now resistance from it.....
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 11:30pm
I think that's an in-line fuse holder. Just pop it open and see if it's blown or not.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 11:28pm

Yea your crazy to want to convert. You just have to learn a new skill. If your cell phone quits you go get help, you don't go and get a land line

LOL....one of the reasons we are retired....not much use for twisted copper anymore.

One thing for sure....everytime I read one of these threads I am all the more thankful for my partner Eddie...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 11:28pm
anyone know how many ohms of resistance that eec fuse is supposed to have?
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 11:19pm

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 11:09pm
i just read that thread lewy posted and it looks like that fuse would keep power from making it to the eec which im guessing would keep the pumps from priming and prevent the coil from sending spark to the dist.
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 11:08pm
if it is that freaking fuse i am going to puke.
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 11:06pm
No--but that dang fuse could be what ails you.
jellison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jellison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 10:12pm
ahhhhh lewy! i am going to check that tomorrow. wouldnt that keep me from getting any power to the back of the engine at all though?
MY BOATS:
1988 Ski Nautique (SOLD)
1998 Air Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic