NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick fuel carb install questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jblunceford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick fuel carb install questions
    Posted: May-14-2016 at 8:29pm
I just pulled the holley 4160 and put a m600 QF carb on my '86 Martinique 351...everything swapped over easily except the QF carb came with its own ground/neg wire (from carb body) connected to the neg tab on the elect choke module. The holley elect choke was connected to both a neg & pos wires from the engine wire harness. I know to attach the pos wire off the engine harness to the new QF carb elect choke pos tab, but what do I do with the neg wire off the engine harness? Can I leave it loose or should I try to slip it under the same neg tab that the carb's neg wire is ttached to?
Jeff in Hoover (Birmingham), AL
1986 CC Martinique Bow Rider 351PCM
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2016 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by jblunceford jblunceford wrote:

Can I leave it loose or should I try to slip it under the same neg tab that the carb's neg wire is ttached to?

I wouldn't leave it loose. Quickfuel evidently wants you to make sure the carb is grounded which isn't a bad idea. I suggest connecting it to the neg on the choke and the engine harness but don't backyard hack it by trying to slip it under the same quick connect tab. There are "sta-con" quick connects called "piggyback". that is a proper means of connecting them together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2016 at 9:11pm
Id just leave it loose... It's no more a danger than that big piece of grounded metal under your carb.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2016 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Id just leave it loose... It's no more a danger than that big piece of grounded metal under your carb.

Tim,
Please explain to me why Quickfuel included the pigtail if they intended you to leave it loose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2016 at 11:21pm
I would guess they supplied it since not all engine harness has a ground wire for the choke. PCM does but I had to make one for my HM to ground the choke when I put the Holley. Not having seen it I wonder rather than not hooking it up,if it can be removed completely?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2016 at 11:54pm
Thanks all.....got er going... Running smooth now...great upgrade...appreciate all the assistance. Jeff in Alabama.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 12:09am
What was the fix
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 12:19am
Re-read, Pete. Quick fuel grounds the choke to the carb body. The question is what to do with the ground in the harness that attached to the (formerly installed) Holley choke since it is not needed with the QF. No need to do anything at all with it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 2:47am
I doubled up both the qf carb supplied ground with the harness ground on the choke neg connection tab in a temporary fashion untill i can get to the hardware store for the proper connection (soon to fix).
Otherwise, the install was pretty straightforward. .....just had to adjust the throttle linkage & associsted support (which required unbolting the support and moving it forward to the next set of bolt holes). That 25" flex fuel hose connected up nicely.
The QF carb primed itself pretty quickly and fired up nicely. Required a little adjust on the idle set screw the it ran like a charm.
I noticed the QF instructions said to retighten associated bolts after running a while, so I'll check those again soon. Again, it appears so far to be a great upgrade...boat has never run better for me, but only my second season with the old girl...i hope to get severAl more years outa this 30 yr old beauty....I'm 53 so this boat reminds me of my heydays. I love the vintage...
Many thanks again...this is a great forum.

Cheers..,,
Jeff in Alabama
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 5:47am
Jeff,
Great that the fix was so simple and the carb is doing the job. Keep us informed on how the Quickfuel performs.

I actually went looking at the Quickfuel site for instructions regarding the ground pigtail for the choke. I couldn't find anything so it seems logical that Tim's and Gary's thought's are correct it's used when there isn't a ground to the choke in the engine harness. So Jeff, I'd say you can ether toss the pigtail and use the original ground in the harness or piggyback it with the original like you have done. It never hurts to have plenty of ground points. Grounding problems are one of the electrical problems that do haunt us from time to time especially as our boats get older and corrosion starts to set in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 11:27am
I always got rid of the pig tail. One time the pigtail was sparking at the carb base so I trashed that idea and stuck with the factory stuff. You won't find a better running bolt on carb for stock applications on the market. They seem nearly fuel injected. Congrats.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 11:44am
Grounds won't spark... 12v ign feed absolutely will and I would not leave that one dangling. Ground connection is harmless though.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 12:49pm
You calling me a liar ? It was sparking. I think I ended up putting a new choke puck on that one too.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 1:31pm
Grounds don't spark, man. The entire engine is a ground.

Now, if it was carelessly flopping into a 12v source that's another story... But the ground connection itself is not a danger. Zip tie it out of the way or cut it off- but no need to safely terminate it or connect it to anything.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 1:42pm

Grounds don't spark, man. The entire engine is a ground. .

Tim,
They will spark when there's isn't another ground wire connected to the block and there's a connected load somewhere!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 2:34pm
I assume the choke assembly had a dead short. That'll certainly make a ground wire spark on another ground.

Also, the ground that comes on the carb just pulls off. Plug in the factory ground and throw the pig tail away. No need for zip ties.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 6:02pm
My only critique so far is that the QF carb doesn't come with its own (top hat) air filter unit, the Holley filter fits fine, but the center connector bolt is a different size that the Holley air filter connector bolt (the Holly bolt with the nice round black screw knob is too large in diameter for the QF carb). I tried a smaller, 3-in diameter metric machine screw, but the thread is wrong (the mach screw thread too fine I think). This center bolt screws down into what appears to be a plastic (black) threaded receiver hole on the QF carb.

I can't tell if the QF receiver hole is a black plastic coating over a metal receiver hole, or really jsut plastic...either way, I don't want to strip it with the wrong size/thread bolt.

I have a question in to the QF guys, but thought I'd ask here as well.....anyone figured out the specs on the correct center bolt for bolting down the top hot air filter element to the top of the QF M600?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 7:15pm
Same as the Holley, believe it is 1/4-20. The boss is not plastic.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 7:31pm
Not sure how it can be the same as the holley, when the the center bolt I took off my holley is too large for the QF M600....it/the holley center bolt, is noticeably larger than the boss (threaded receiving hole) on the M600...this size difference can be seen with the naked eye.

The connecting bolt that came off my Holley had a nice black hard- plastic screw down knob at the top, a little less than an inch in diameter. Is this the one that should fit the QF M600?

If so, the only thing I can think is.....if the "boss" isn't plastic, is it metal underneath some plastic-like protective coating, and would the original Holley bolt actually fit the M600 boss if I force it and grind through the black coating on the "boss"?

Otherwise, it needs a smaller diameter bolt of some thread type that I can't find. I tried an M6 (or M8?) diameter machine screw, which will make about 1 & 1/2 turns before tightening up because the thread pattern is wrong (too fine).

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblunceford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 7:43pm
TRBenj,

You are correct as stated....just spoke with QF rep who stated that the black covering on the boss is a "Teflon-type" spray on coating on the underlying cast metal. He says the original 1/4, 20 Holley bolt will fit when the protect coating is removed, gently ground out with a die, or the bolt itself.
QF rep also says I can use the main wiring harness ground wire, and pull the one that is attached to the carb off (or tape up and tie back out of the way). No need for double ground wires.
Mystery solved.....thanks again. Jeff
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 8:18pm
When I get back to the house, I'll go look at my QF M-600 and see what I did with the flame arrestor bolt. If memory serves, I found a bolt in my bin that was the right diameter and thread count. Then I bought a new S/S bolt that was the correct length from the local big-box hardware store.

One note...I had to change-out my original flame arrestor as the QF carb has adjustable floats. The adjusting hardware did not allow my original flame arrestor to sit flat on the carb. I needed a raised flange type of arrestor. I decided to go for a little chrome bling and bought a K&N marine flame arrestor/air filter unit.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 12:04am
You shouldn't need a raised flange arrester to clear the adjustable floats. I have used a few different non-raised 8" diam arresters on my qf750.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 10:18am
Tim, the 600 has shorter bowls than your big dual feed. The stock flame arrestor swill generally run into the adjustable float screws and won't seat on the carb flange. You could make a spacer or seek a different arrestor.

It could also be that the rear bowl doesn't have a metering block I can't remember exactly.
Seancc1988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seancc1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 2:44am
How's the boat run with the new carb? Is holeshot or top end any better?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 12:37am

You shouldn't need a raised flange arrester to clear the adjustable floats. I have used a few different non-raised 8" diam arresters on my qf750.

Tim:

I tried to use the standard flame arrestor, but it would not sit flush on the carb body -- due to the float adjust hardware. I probably could have used several gaskets in a stacked configuration to get over the obstruction. Instead, I went with a raised flange arrestor.

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Xer86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2017 at 11:33pm
I just got a QFT M-600 to replace the 4160 on my '88 Martinique w/PCM 351 that I have been fighting with for some time now. My 4160 currently has a 2.5 PV installed and has run fine in the past with it. Just recently it has developed an issue. The QFT carb i ordered came with a 6.5 preinstalled. Is this going to create an issue? Has anyone installed the QFT carb as it arrives on a PCM 351 and got it to run properly without changing the PV in a similar application? Should I plan on changing the 6.5 to a 2.5 before I even try it? I don't know a ton about carbs but I am trying to learn so that I can get this boat running properly again. Currently at idle vacuum reading at carb to intake manifold spacer is ~20 in Hg at idle. A quick blip of the throttle drops it to ~5in Hg and then up to ~23 in Hg before retruning to 20. It sits there pretty steady. Any advice would be appreciated.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2017 at 11:41pm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2017 at 12:13am
In the past Holley used 6.5's PV in their 351 600cfm marine carbs. Later for some reason they changed to 2.5's. For some other reason the new 302 450cfm's use 8.5's
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2017 at 7:27am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_xTUXQJQ8

Informative video , worth watching if you have questions.   You are going to like your QFT carb.   BTW Holley owns them now.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2017 at 8:21am
Plenty of people have bolted the Quick Fuel on as it comes out of the box with no issues.

Just install it as is and don't go to a 2.5 PV.

Put it on, adjust the idle and go.

If you look at the jet sizes (secondary) you'll notice quite a difference from your Holley also, but you don't want to change them either.

Your vacuum readings and the way it acts sound norma lfor blipping the throttle with no load if that's what you're asking
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic