Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tranny Issues Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
black88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tranny Issues Suggestions
    Posted: March-28-2016 at 12:14am
is the deal. I would like to think my boat is nice. It is a 1988 black ski nautique.   Since I have bought the boat I added a wakeboard tower, brand new thermostat housing and thermostat, and a brand new edelbrock carb on it (which has less than 1 hour now). I pulled my boat out at the beginning of last summer to wipe it all down from sitting in storage. I notice there was tranny fluid on the ground under the boat. I checked the fluid and filled it back up. I did not see any leaks. I was kind of clueless. I decided to take it for a test spin on green lake. I got half way out and sure enough ended up coming to a complete stop because the tranny fluid ended up being in the haul. I got a tow in from the police. I brought it back to my driveway filled it up and didn't see a thing. I hooked up the hose and put it in gear. The tranny had a hard knocking sound "clunk" "clunk" "clunk". I didn't see any tranny fluid coming out and took a it to a marina who only wants to deal with NEW BOATS. They were pointless and charged me $300 for not doing a thing. So my question is this: I have a lot invested but when do you call it a "for sale as is"? I don't know if this thing needs a rebuild or if is just something simple? I hate to sell as is for something as simple as a $300 fix and loose out on $3000 for something little. How a guy supposed to know what to do? None of the mechanics in my area have a clue and want to charge $400 an hour. Nobody around here knows nautiques. What would you do? Worth fixing and selling or just let it roll as is?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 1:26am
OK, I'll dive in here. First off - welcome to the site and to CCF! We want to see a picture of your boat! A black Nautique sounds pretty cool. I'm guessing you have a 2001 hull Ski Nautique.

Second - everybody from the WI area - help this new guy with some suggestions for local marinas.

Third - Let's figure out what is happening. Is the transmission just leaking a lot or is it not functional at all? I ran all last summer with a leaky transmission. I'm not suggesting it is a good idea (I'm fixing it now). My transmission worked fine, it just leaked. Is that what yours is doing? The next concern is that sound. My first suggestion is to never put your transmission into gear when running on the hose. The cutlass bearing (the part that holds the shaft under water) uses water as lubrication. The sound you describe could be bad things, or it could just be "damper plate chatter" which happens when your engine RPM's are too low. That is a problem with your carb settings, not with your transmission. The engine should idle at 750RPM I think. Look it up in an owners manual in the REFERENCE section.

Where are the leaks coming from? The front main seal and the rear seal are the most likely spots. You should be able to get down there and see where it leaks. If it leaks from the front - it might appear that the fluid is coming out the bell housing that mounts the transmission to the back of the engine.

Finally - did you personally install the tower, carb, and update all the cooling system things? If so - a leaky transmission is not a reason to give up and sell the boat now. That's my opinion. Figure out what is wrong now, get it fixed or fix it yourself, and by the time it is warm enough to ski and wakeboard in WI you'll be on the water again. This site is all about using the knowledge of everyone here to fix your boat yourself. It is less expensive and a TON of fun for most of us.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 6:40pm
Joe,
As Kevin asked, try to find out where the ATF is coming from. You mentioned at first it was on the ground and then in the "haul" (bilge?). Was the trans cooler drained for the winter? I too just as Kevin mentioned would check the condition of the damper plate. Pictures would be great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2016 at 3:25pm
I have a suggestion and hope its what you need to push you along.......    I have rebuild my transmission on my 454 (72C) and found it to be as easy as changing brakes on a car.....    Id say if your pretty good wrench its = to front disc pads....... If your not a good wrench id say its like doing rear shoes....        Find the leak, pull the trans as necessary and get in it!!!    Parts are available Clutches and Coolers might be hard parts also but i didn't search for those .....     
Don't give up that boat !!   Anyone can own a new boat, just sign and float...   In my opinion I have more pride keeping my older stuff floating!!     
1986 Ski nautique 351
1988 Barefoot nautique 454
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2016 at 6:36pm
Its got a major leak if it leaked out that fast. First part of message said you did not see leaks but outside boat, but you had to add some. So leak started leaking after motor was shut off maybe.Not sure how your cooling system is plumbed but if cooler went it could of run out fresh water intake hose. But that line usually comes in from the top though. I am not in the north but if cooler froze that could be problem. The clunking and stuff could be bad but they make a lot of noise if you don't spray the cutlass bearing with water or something while its dry and in gear.
Lakedog55
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2016 at 6:44pm
Joe,
Have you been able to find out where all the ATF is going yet? Also, I asked a clarification as to the ATF in the bilge or on the ground. Was it draining into the bilge and then out the hull garboard drain or was it coming out of the cooling water thru hull? Knowing that may be a clue as to where it's going and the reason I mentioned the trans cooler

Where are you exactly in Wisconsin? Since you tested the boat on Green Lake, is that were you are? I ask since you stated you are having a hard time finding someone to work on the boat. How far are you willing to pull the boat?

What about the "clunking". Besides a bad damper plate, a low engine idle will cause the planetary gear set in the trans to rattle/clunk.

As Robert mentioned above, there are some who tackle the trans's themselves. Some are successful and some aren't. Just throwing in a clutch pack and a seal isn't a rebuild as many think.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2016 at 9:18pm
I agree, tranny rebuild isn't for everyone(if needed) and well as stated a clutch change isn't a "rebuild" But the intent here was to not throw in the towel ..     I know theres enough parts and knowledge to get your fine boat up and running so NO SELLING!!
1986 Ski nautique 351
1988 Barefoot nautique 454
black88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 12:01am
Hey everyone I just want to say thank you for all the feedback. I'm sorry I have not been on sooner.   I have not been back to work on this boat yet but I need too. Can someone tell me the easiest way to get a picture uploaded so everyone can see it? I would say I am decent with wrenches when it comes to taking something apart but putting something back together I always seem to break more in the process. I am willing to travel pretty far in order to get this boat to the right person who knows their stuff. All I would love for is just one summer where I can get in this thing and go for a cruise. And as far as Green Lake goes I live twenty about a half hour from it. I used to bartend the at the Goose Blind back in the day and bartended a couple of your events. One of those years Adam Wensink was a special guest from correcratft I do believe. Thank you guys once again and I will have more updates on tranny talk in a little bit. Im trying to get some pics up.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 12:43am
I can't help with the tranny, the guys above are much better. However, on the pictures:

If you click the icon to the far right (arrow pointing up and right) at the top of the "quick reply" you will get more options for the post. Then there are two icons, one with a tree and one with tree and arrow. Click the one with the arrow and a dialog will pop up and you can browse your local machine for the image you want. Easy.

If you want to learn another method, read this Link
black88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 1:07am
Sounds good I got a picture to upload in my file manager but Im confused as how to set one with my profile name. Also is there any faster to post public pics other than have to dig in to file manager. How do you get an ID for a photo
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 1:17am

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 1:01am
Hi Joe. I'm another Green Lake local that is searching for a transmission rebuilder. You are right, most area marinas can't fix new boats much less a good classic inboard. Ask Mojo how many seasons in a row a big marina nearly sunk his 211 because they can't seem to connect all the necessary hoses...

I pulled the transmission from my Classic on Saturday. With good advice from friends (thanks Joe!) on the site, I had it out in about 4 hours.

Today, again with help from the CCF family (thanks Gary!), I contacted a guy in La Grange IL to rebuild the transmission. He has been doing it since 1968. I had a very detailed discussion with him. He is either the real deal or a master BS'er. Maybe both, time will tell as I'm brining my trans to him this Saturday.

Since you spin your own wrenches and if you have determined the trans needs a rebuild, I'd be happy to bring it along with me if you had the gumption to pull it out of the boat.

If you have any interest, let me know and we can sort out the details.

-Steve
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 4:58pm
Tranny issues...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic