NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat maintenance videos Tanis alignment etc

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat maintenance videos Tanis alignment etc
    Posted: March-19-2016 at 4:59pm
Nice video series check it out

https://youtu.be/UEqzJgCz_6w
This is the life
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2016 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Nice video series check it out

https://youtu.be/UEqzJgCz_6w

I viewed alignment 1, 2 and the cutlass bearing replacement videos. They are done very nicely except I didn't see anything on strut alignment. All Ron said is the shaft should be centered in the log with a good cutlass. Also, no mention of the weight of the forward section of the shaft that must be considered/counteracted when checking the shaft for being in the center of the log. He mentioned several times that most people are only aware of engine to shaft alignment. This is true but a true alignment starts at the strut. A misaligned strut is the #1 cause of cutlass wear.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2016 at 12:02am
It's a new series so maybe he'll do strut alignment too
This is the life
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2016 at 9:00am
He does a good job on these vids. Just a really good guy too.
I passed on your request Andy for a strut alignment to see if that's feasible. It took him 18 months to get the shaft alignment vid done. He's a busy guy but trying to get what people ask for.

He just finished one on proper prop installations. No, Pete he doesn't lap it either. He told me he didn't put it in the video but he gets questions literally on a weekly basis from people asking how do they know which way it goes on? Are you friggin' kidding me???
He said that he kindly tells them in that scenario to seek out a qualified mechanic.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2016 at 9:45am
Video from above:

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2016 at 10:23am
Rain and Sleet today so I thought I'd get some knowledge. I poured over the FAQ and also I followed the above link and watched a ton of videos. The videos were nicely done. Next weekend I am getting the boat out of storage.
BTW: Way to much conversation on this forum about ATF vs. 20W   
THANKS!
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 12:54am
Pete - any concerns with putting a link in the FAQ next to your alignment video? I think that is quite well done.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Pete - any concerns with putting a link in the FAQ next to your alignment video? I think that is quite well done.

Kevin,
I don't have a problem at all with a link next to mine. I agree that it was nicely done except for the strut issue. You can't do a proper alignment with bad strut alignment. It needs to be checked first. If bad, there's really not much of a point to just align the engine to the shaft. When the strut is aligned, then move forward to the engine..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

He just finished one on proper prop installations. No, Pete he doesn't lap it either. He told me he didn't put it in the video

Eddie,
I didn't invent lapping on a prop. The recommendation to lap comes from the prop manufacturer. Beyond props, it also happens to be one of the basic sound practices of any tool maker too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic