Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at 1987 SN 2001 *Pics*

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at 1987 SN 2001 *Pics*
    Posted: March-15-2016 at 12:07am
Hello, I looked at a 1987 2001 this evening- I'm looking for a little advice...I've been lurking on this site off and on for almost 7 years now. I've always wanted a 2001 and I found one locally that is reasonably priced. Not sure if this is "the one", but it seems like a good candidate.

The boat was in pretty good shape overall for being 29 years old. Dirty from sitting all winter! The gelcoat and vinyl are in good shape...Few small knicks and dings, but nothing major. The carpet could use some attention, but that's really it cosmetically. The owner is selling because he bought an open bow. He's only owned it one year so not a lot of history on it.

I tried to do the "knock" test on the stringers and they sounded fine to me, but I'm no stringer expert. The engine bolts were tight as well. From what I can tell though, this boat has been fairly well taken care of in it's 29 years of existence. So I'm guessing it was stored indoors just by the looks of it. Any other things I could do to test the stringers?

The owner started it up and ran it for me and it sounded great. Has 1100 hours on it. It does have a small exhaust manifold leak. Wondering how serious that is and what it would take to fix it?

Right now, I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage. Just looking for some feedback from my description and pictures. Thanks!

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 1:52am
I feel like this boat was just posted in the forums recently but doubt ill find it on my phone...

Looks really clean!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 7:05am
Braden,
Welcome and go for it. I agree that the boat looks really clean. Did the seller start the boat for you after the pictures were taken? I ask since I don't see any water on the driveway but, at the very bottom of the last picture, it does look like he hooked it up to the hose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 11:08am
Found it. Posted on the Interesting craigslist thread March 11.
Originally posted by lcgordon lcgordon wrote:

http://wichita.craigslist.org/boa/5456505477.html

Try this
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 11:50am
I will say I have been searching craislist just for fun and have seen that boat for sale for a while. He may take a lower price for it. Not that the price right now is bad.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 11:51am
Yes, that's it Hollywood. So after a quick Google search looks like I'd be looking at about $250 for the manifold. Does that seem right? Is that something that would need fixed right away?

And yes, Peter. The boat was started after the pics were taken.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 11:54am
Braden,
Where is the leak? Is it water or exhaust? A water leak between the manifold and exhaust riser is common and the typical fix is a gasket after cleaning up the mating surfaces.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 12:15pm
Pete, you can see the port riser gasket is bad in the engine photo.

Are there other leaks (water and/or exhaust gas)?
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 12:22pm
From what I could tell the leak is a water leak on the bottom side of the manifold if that makes sense (see the example pic below- that is where I could see water dripping). But based on the bad riser gasket that Hollywood pointed out, would it be leaking from the riser gasket down the side and that's why I saw the drip underneath?? Maybe I just didn't notice it?

There were no other leaks that I could see or smell. I looked closely at the motor while it was running.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 12:52pm
Now I see the streaking on the engine side of the port manifold. Thanks.

Branden,
As mentioned, the leak there is common and a simple fix.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 12:54pm
Clearly you need to start with the riser gasket. Make sure you orient the gasket properly. The tab should follow the riser so that the short/low water path is blocked and is forced over the top to provide proper cooling.

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 12:57pm
Nice looking boat from pics... looks to have been kept up a bit, vinyl looks decent, carpet looks good, hours indicate moderate use... trailer seems good.

I mean, I'd want to water test but at 4k price range, and given you've been searching for 7 years, I would have bid him and taken the chance. This is almost project boat pricing.

Like others have said, price is right, riser gasket not a big deal to fix.

Keep us posted... Spring is upon us!
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 1:13pm
Braden,
I just saw your recent pic after I posted and thought wait... that riser gasket looks recently replace but then realized that is a different boat/engine. haha..

I think you will find, you have come to the right place when it comes to these boats and a good portion of us have been around these boats for a long time and chances are, we've all had to do this repair at some point. The only advice I'd give you is use a little patience removing the bolts... and some PB blast in hopes of not cracking the bolt so you don't have to drill them out etc.

See the pic Hollywood sent.. I'd close the laptop and go p/u that boat LOL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

and some PB blast in hopes of not cracking the bolt so you don't have to drill them out etc. .

Andrew,
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You have fallen for the BS advertising hype with the PB! Go for the scientific facts and not what's written on a can. "as advertised on TV" is always a dead on indication that a product is C***. If I remember correctly, Billy Mays at one time was pushing the stuff!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Here's the list of torque requirements copied from another thread:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

I don't even consider WD40 to be a penetrating oil so that puts PB at the bottom for me. Kroil is a on line order only so when I was taking my 1927 Flexifour apart and trying to break the rusted pistons loose, I did pick up a can of PB. A week went by with no luck and then the Kroil came in. The next day after using some of the Kroil, all four pistons were loose. I ended up using the PB as a honing lubricant!

Go for the 50-50 home brew. It works as many including myself have found out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 2:32pm
I see the pvc pylon cover, clever way to protect the cover, but curious, where does the one laying on the platform go?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 2:50pm
rear cover pole?
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 2:57pm
I would assume they are both there to support a cover of some type, front one fits over the pylon, rear one sits infront of the rear seat, maybe those bungies hold it between the hinges for the dog house or the rear seat.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 3:34pm
Nice catch Peter!
Of course for over 5x the cost + shipping and waiting a week... Kano Kroil will work a little better as would acetone and ATF (that will also strip the paint right off your manifold). But really, in my experience, they came right off with little torque.

Yeah, the PVC pylon cover is a great idea... the fact that it is stationary make it easy to put cover on by ones self... not sure about the rear as a snap or pole in grommet might be easier.

bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 4:21pm
Yeah he had the pvc pipe over the pylon and one right in front of the rear seat to support the cover. Good idea!

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2016 at 8:35am

Nice catch Peter!
Of course for over 5x the cost + shipping and waiting a week... Kano Kroil will work a little better as would acetone and ATF (that will also strip the paint right off your manifold). But really, in my experience, they came right off with little torque.

Yeah, the PVC pylon cover is a great idea... the fact that it is stationary make it easy to put cover on by ones self... not sure about the rear as a snap or pole in grommet might be easier.

I used Kroil after snapping several of the riser bolts on our '92 when I was replacing the riser gaskets. Worked like a champ.

Also used the PVC pylon cover and it worked great as well. Used a rear "tent pole" just behind the motor box to keep the cover nice and high.

Oh yeah, the boat in question looks great considering it's price and age.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2016 at 9:09am

Nice catch Peter!
Of course for over 5x the cost + shipping and waiting a week... Kano Kroil will work a little better as would acetone and ATF   

Andrew,
The Kroil may cost more but you need to factor in the cost and frustration of a possible broken bolt. Also, you don't need to wait a week to get it if you always have some on hand.

Regarding the 50-50 mix, I actually feel it works as good or better than the Kroil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2016 at 1:07pm
Peter... Peter... Peter...
funny thing is I was changing oil in the 4 runner last night and when I went to grab a new filter off the shelf, I noticed I had 3 cans of Liquid Wrench... no PB Blast actually . I also call any tissue a Kleenex... I assume you prefer another brand...

But really... has the OP bought this boat yet? Girl in the pic bellow wants Dad to quit kickin tires.. hahaha...

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2016 at 3:04pm
Ohhhh, The old Fram filter box hiding the LW trick!

OK, so wd-40 is the best thing for removing freeze plugs, got it!!

And yes, daddy needs to get the deal done on his daughters new boat!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2016 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

OK, so wd-40 is the best thing for removing freeze plugs, got it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 12:29pm
Taking the wife to check it out this weekend. Wish me luck!
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 12:47pm
Don't forget your checkbook and trailer hitch
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:22pm
As I recall there was also a good thread on here somewhere about what to bring when you're going to buy a boat...assorted tools, emergency trailer parts, spare tire etc. Maybe pete can find it.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

Taking the wife to check it out this weekend. Wish me luck!

Put the boat in the water and run it with the wife. My wife did not get why I needed another boat until she heard it rumble.

bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2016 at 8:53pm
Well, good news. The wife approves and has given me the green light! But, the only thing I want to make sure of before I pull the trigger it is that the manifold leak isn't something deeper than just replacing A) the actual manifold ($200ish) or B) The riser gasket ($10)

When we ran it the other day the drip seemed to come from underneath (under where it says "PLEASURE CRAFT MARINE ENGINES" (You can see a little rust on the manifold -see pics)... I'm guessing the white residue coming from the riser gasket area is old as the gasket has maybe since been replaced since it's not leaking from there? I don't know for sure- check out the pics and see what you think. Thanks for the help!

More pics of the boat in better light:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2016 at 9:10pm
Braden,
Looking at the latest pictures, it sure looks like someone applied some kind of patching compound to the bottom of that manifold. Probably a back yard hack with something like MarineTex. I guess they weren't winterized and they froze. Count on new manifolds plus the labor to replace both port and starboard as well as the risers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic