NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shifter Safety Collar Adjustment?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
utahdave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shifter Safety Collar Adjustment?
    Posted: January-17-2016 at 3:47pm
Hey gang,
Recently acquired a 2014 Nautique 200CB, ZR409, 1370 hrs
First water test was yesterday. I must say, pretty awesome machine.

When I pulled up the safety collar to move the shifter to shift into gear, it doesn't seem like it pulls the piece at the bottom far enough upward to easily shift into gear.

Is there a way to adjust the travel on that?
When I removed the shifter knob, the safety collar could travel farther and the problem seemed to go away.
The "sticking" also seemed worse with the boat in the water than when I was moving the shifter later with the boat on the trailer.

Thank you,
Dave
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2016 at 4:05pm
The linkage must have gotten bent, hopefully you can find the issue & straighten it without buying another lever.     I would take the lever all the way of, mine has set screw underneath that holds it on.

How about some pictures, sounds like a very nice boat. What is the story on 1370 hours? Was it from a professional ski show?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
utahdave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 12:07am
1370 Hours: It was a Promo boat in Florida. Very well cared for.

In case anyone else needs to know, to remove the shift lever in a Nautique 200:

1. At the center of the neutral button (that stops you from shifting into gear and allows you to add throttle) there is an Allen screw. Remove it.

2. Carefully slide out the neutral button

3. There are 3 Allen screws that attach the shifter to the greater throttle control. Remove them. Mine were pretty tight. I had to lengthen the short side allen key to generate enough leverage to start loosening each screw. At this point, you can gently slide the shifter arm off.

4. To access the moving parts of the neutral detent that the safety collar disengages, I loosened 2 more screws from the gunwale side of the shifter arm once it was removed.

5. The shifter knob is removed by loosening 1 allen screw on the bow side of the knob

In my case, the problem was dirt and grime gumming up the moving parts, particularly the brass round post that slides horizontally to allow shifting into gear when the safety collar is lifted. I wiped off all the grime, reassembled and it worked much better.
utahdave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 12:33am
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 8:13am
Dave,
Thanks for the write up. I'm sure many who have the same problem will appreciate the information. I'm going to link the thread in the FAQ thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic