Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some trouble starting today

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hollywoodswole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some trouble starting today
    Posted: June-05-2006 at 3:36pm
Ok, some background. I just rebuilt the trans in my '81 Southwind. Got it put back in just fine. The rebuild took about 3 weeks with all the breaks I kept taking. But the engine was running immediately before that. I run it once a week if we don't make it to the lake to keep it lubed and charged.

So I go out today, put in the new battery, hook up the fake-a-lake, and get ready to run it so I can change the oil. No dice. It cranks, but doesn't start. It's not locked up b/c the pulleys have spun enough to make a few rotations. Little wisps of smoke come from the battery terminals, so I won't dare try to turn it over for long. I'll pull the plugs in a bit just to see, but what else should I look for? Is there any reason the trans would keep it from starting? I checked it for binding before I reinstalled it. Thanks guys
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 3:41pm
sound like a wire is crossed or something any smoke from a wire isn't good, what size battery did you buy? CCA rating that is or Cold Cranking Amps? are you using 2 ga cables as well? not good if you are.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 3:45pm
So, does it turn over at normal speed but just will not fire. Or, is it turning over very slowly? If turning over slowly, I would say you have a poor connections at the battery, hence the smoke from resistance. If the connections are clean and tight AND you can turn the engine with the front hub bolt with minimal force, then I would think your starter took a dump. If it is hard to turn the crank with a wrench, then I would say your tranny rebuild did not go so well, but no clue as to why.

If the engine spins freely with the starter, then look for a wire you forgot to reconnect that supplies the ignition system.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 4:00pm
if something is in a bind inside of the tranny then that could cause a problem and put a heavy load on the cranking motor, if the pump was reversed then all it should do reverse fwr and rev while in gear. Not sure if the pump was reversed and in gear and you tried to start it if that would create a load to heat up the cables and motor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

sound like a wire is crossed or something any smoke from a wire isn't good, what size battery did you buy? CCA rating that is or Cold Cranking Amps? are you using 2 ga cables as well? not good if you are.

The battery is 500 CCA. I don't know the cable size, but they're the same ones that have always been on there. There's no size on the wires.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 4:10pm
What was the rating on the old one? 500 seems a little low but not that much, I try and stay around 650 CCA's. Double check the contacts and clean them, double check the wiring and make sure it's right. See if you can spin the prop by hand, that should tell you if the tranny is in a bind causing your problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 5:10pm
I gotta say, I am impressed with all of the replies. And not just and reply, but very helpful ones. Thanks for all the help!

I don't like the thought of even being out on the water with a dead battery, so I replaced the cables and clamps, changed the plugs, and it started up. No binding in the tranny (my biggest fear).

I have a new issue with the tranny, but I'll start a new thread since they're not related. Looks like I'll need to start divvying out some six-packs
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 5:15pm
if you used smaller gauged cables and they are over 6' long then there is a problem. Look on the side of the cables and there should be some lettering and follow it along the wire and somewhere it should state the gauge size; 2, 1/0, 0, 00. also is the battery a cranking battery? if you bought a deep cycle take it back and get a cranking bat with a little higher CCA rating.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2006 at 10:53am
I think 500 CCA is scimpy...min. I think should be 650... or higher is a benefit!I use 750.Even if the starter developes a dead spot higher cranking batt can overcome it for a while!

Did you disconnect and reconnect any other wires? Is there a spark or arch at the batt terimal...or just a poof of smoke?

And as everyone has said...clean the terminals...WELL and the batt connections!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2006 at 1:28pm
Yes, 500 CCA is ok for an outboard motor, not much else, or at least not for long.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic